The Student Room Group

Boyfriend at dinner with another female 'friend'

So I've been with my boyfriend for 3 months now and things were going well until he said he was going on holiday for a week with another girl that he'd never even spoken to me about, just him, her and her parents. I thought it was really strange but we spoke about it and it was resolved. he told me she was just one of his oldest friends but because I've been cheated on and have been in bad relationships in the past I overthink and start to doubt myself. Tonight he said he's going for dinner with her just them two alone and I don't know how I should feel about it. I don't think I have an issue with trusting him particularly, more just men in general really, but he's also quite closed off. He never really compliments me, nor tells me how he feels about me which isn't something I require all the time but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat insecure and occasionally just needed a "you look nice". So basically am I overreacting with this dinner?
I think it's strange and borderline disrespectful. He seems to be making more effort towards her than his own girlfriend?

Also he has very little communication with you? I dated my ex for four years and whenever he met up with me to go out on a date he'd look at me shyly and say "you look pretty" or "I like that bracelet/dress/whatever you've got on" without any prompting from me. I think he sounds very disinterested and is not being a very good communicative boyfriend.

If I were you I would distance myself at first and be somewhat cold to see what happens, because when guys get confronted about this type of stuff they get defensive and even more closed off. If over time he's still not reacting to your being cold I would say just cut things off with him and find someone who makes you feel secure and happy.
Can I suggest the most important thing here for you now is how you handle the situation. Relationships have ups and downs and take twists and turns. Communication is very important and talking about very personal stuff can be awkward and difficult. Unfortunately practice makes perfect and it will give you the chance to develop as a partner.

Make a plan, try not to lose it and

Good Luck
It’s a very new relationship and you’re seeing major red flags already.
Reply 4
Original post by harriet1999
So I've been with my boyfriend for 3 months now and things were going well until he said he was going on holiday for a week with another girl that he'd never even spoken to me about, just him, her and her parents. I thought it was really strange but we spoke about it and it was resolved. he told me she was just one of his oldest friends but because I've been cheated on and have been in bad relationships in the past I overthink and start to doubt myself. Tonight he said he's going for dinner with her just them two alone and I don't know how I should feel about it. I don't think I have an issue with trusting him particularly, more just men in general really, but he's also quite closed off. He never really compliments me, nor tells me how he feels about me which isn't something I require all the time but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't somewhat insecure and occasionally just needed a "you look nice". So basically am I overreacting with this dinner?

No,you are not over reacting. He is disrespecting you. He does not compliment you and blatantly dates another girl. You should call off the relationship because he cannot be trusted. He is dating both of you because you are allowing him to. How do you know that he is not sleeping with both of you? I would dump him.
A friend finished with her boyfriend for exactly the same reason and she has never regretted it. He isn’t exactly treating you like a princess 👸 and it’s early days. I’d say get rid and find someone worthy of you xx
As a male person, I found that situation very disrespecting and embarrasing. I've never had a relationship yet (I'm 19 years old) but if I had a girlfriend I would NEVER do that to her even though that female friend is my one of the oldest friends.

Why don't three of you have a dinner together? He should introduce you to this girl as his lovely girlfriend. That sounds perfectly correct to me.
Do you know if that’s something he normally does with her?

eg. I eat out at restaurants with my male best friend often. Changes in either of our relationship statuses (and I think every possible combo has happened by this point) has no impact on that whatsoever.
Definitely strange. If the girl and him were such good mates, close enough that he was going on holiday with her family, he'd definitely have spoken about her before, and I'd expect you to have met her at this point as well. Don't blame yourself for how you're feeling about the situation. Being cheated on in the past is irrelevant to his behaviour, you're not overthinking - don't let him twist things by implying you're being paranoid due to your past.

I would bring up the topic of the three of you doing something together, if he seems flustered or avoids the idea like the plague then something is definitely not right.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
As a male person, I found that situation very disrespecting and embarrasing. I've never had a relationship yet (I'm 19 years old) but if I had a girlfriend I would NEVER do that to her even though that female friend is my one of the oldest friends.

Why don't three of you have a dinner together? He should introduce you to this girl as his lovely girlfriend. That sounds perfectly correct to me.

Yes but have a look at the original thread! He is clearly trying to date both of them! She should never allow him to get away with doing that. The other girl is not her problem ! It is his behaviour that is the issue and she needs to deal with it. Having dinner together as a group of 3 will solve nothing; it will just complicate things more. She needs to set boundaries in what she allows him to get away with.
Original post by mgi
Yes but have a look at the original thread! He is clearly trying to date both of them! She should never allow him to get away with doing that. The other girl is not her problem ! It is his behaviour that is the issue and she needs to deal with it. Having dinner together as a group of 3 will solve nothing; it will just complicate things more. She needs to set boundaries in what she allows him to get away with.

Sorry, my bad! Somehow I skipped this part: "he said he was going on holiday for a week with another girl". Now that seems it is clearly a problem.

If my gf would ask me that she'll go to the holiday with a man then I would absolutely dump her. Because I know that I'll never feel secure with this girl again.

Also, thanks for being much more careful than me.

OP, please don't mind my first post on the above.
Good advice. One day you will make someone a great partner!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending