The Student Room Group

Was it nicer in 1896?

Depends on how you define nicer.

The chances of you dying or being seriously disabled from a huge range of communicable diseases (e.g. polio, tuberculosis, the French disease) was much higher in 1896. And standing in horse crap would be a regular problem.

But at least our dress sense was better and there was no Instagram.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sadly that video does show all the children who worked in factories or those who died at work. And of course, none of the women in that video had the right to own land, property or vote.
you could easily make a list of 10-20 things that were better back then.. but it would be dwarfed by the list of 1000 things that were worse.

The medical situation alone is worth never going back. Joe rogan did an interview with a medical historian about old treatments from the 17-1800s, and its just nightmare fuel.

It is easy to be nostalgic though. I mean I can think of a few things I really like about that time, and it gives me that feeling of 'oh if only I was born in X' - but that's just looking through blinkers.. take in the whole picture, and its a really clear no.

The time I would want to be born into would be the late 60s.. being a teenager in the 80s, and an adult in the 90s.. retiring just about now. That was one hell of a life. Born into the post-war growth of the 60s, teenage life up in the late 70s/80s, which is probably the most iconic decade for popular culture. Most of our media today is just re-hashes of 70s/80s stuff.. grow up in a time without the internet.. free university, or pretty secure jobs/training..becoming an adult in the 90s, cheap property, best time to buy in British history.. profit in the huge boom towards the end of the 90s and 2000s.. old enough to not fall pray to technology, but young enough to understand computers/the internet.. established enough to not be hurt to badly by the financial crisis.. retire about now, when the pension schemes are still holding together.. just about.

Great life.
Original post by ByEeek
Sadly that video does show all the children who worked in factories or those who died at work. And of course, none of the women in that video had the right to own land, property or vote.

bib
As were all working class men, including the vast majority of the 700,000 that went on to die in the trenches. 😕
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe

The chances of you dying or being seriously disabled from a huge range of communicable diseases (e.g. polio, tuberculosis, the French disease) was much higher in 1896. And standing in horse crap would be a regular problem.

people knew their place in those days. the undergardener would have looked forward to a lifetime of well, undergardening; he would not of wanted to go to yoony. in those days there were only 2 yoonies, neither of which offered courses in garden studies.
Original post by Just my opinion
bib
As were all working class men, including the vast majority of the 700,000 that went on to die in the trenches. 😕

Well I never knew that. Fair dos. Still, 40% of men could vote. 0% of women were allowed.
They were have been happy because that was the world they lived in I wonder what people 120 years from now would think of the way we live today.
well yeah if dying from an infected toenail is nice then it was
Ah, the old days.

The only thing I think i'll ever agree with you on.
In terms of promise 1880-1914 (before war) were the most promising times we have ever had, Europe was the uncontested powerhouse of the world, Britain, France and the other great powers kept everything in check. if we had borders, morals and the European (+colonies) had stayed the same we would be living in a far better place, just imagine all that but with some of the advancements we have today. and yet today everything seems so bleak.
I'd much rather live in this era and I think back then if they could see our era most of them would chose to live in the 21st century too.
Now days if your child gets sick and they die from their illness we are shocked because we believe that medicine we cure them. Back then they would have been upset of course about their child death but they would have accepted and move on.
Original post by oewpoiri
I'd much rather live in this era and I think back then if they could see our era most of them would chose to live in the 21st century too.
hell no, I don't die when I'm 40.
Reply 15
Don't judge a book by it's cover.
Reply 16
Weren't great for my lot in the aul country :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending