The Student Room Group

Oxford College Stress

Yes, I know I am incredibly late but I've recently been researching Oxford colleges and I've found that the college I've chosen isn't the right one for me, and that actually I prefer another. Obviously, this late in the year, I can't really ask to change my college but I'm really stuck on whether to accept Oxford or not, idk if I can handle the whole college thing, seeing as I don't think I'd like it there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What are your concerns?
Reply 2
Original post by Afiea
Yes, I know I am incredibly late but I've recently been researching Oxford colleges and I've found that the college I've chosen isn't the right one for me, and that actually I prefer another. Obviously, this late in the year, I can't really ask to change my college but I'm really stuck on whether to accept Oxford or not, idk if I can handle the whole college thing, seeing as I don't think I'd like it there.

What makes you think that the specific College would make that much difference? They all do the fundamentals (e.g. excellent small group teaching and pastoral support) extremely well and the rest (e.g. architecture and location within a small area of Oxford) arguably doesn't matter that much. That said, it's your decision and you should make it on whatever grounds seem good to you.
Reply 3
Original post by HMDN12
What are your concerns?

The academic side of Oxford has never been an issue for me, more so the accommodation aspect of the uni - it being the only uni where I have to live out. My current college didn’t really have a lot of info regarding accommodation so when I went up to Oxford to check it out this week, it really didn’t give me a vibe where I think I’d fit in and the accommodation seemed really isolated ( it’s on the edge of the city centre). Being from London, I am really accustomed to the busyness of my city and the college I chose is completely isolated in that sense. The facilities regarding my accommodation is really what is making me unsure as to if I can spend 3 years there.
Reply 4
Original post by astro67
What makes you think that the specific College would make that much difference? They all do the fundamentals (e.g. excellent small group teaching and pastoral support) extremely well and the rest (e.g. architecture and location within a small area of Oxford) arguably doesn't matter that much. That said, it's your decision and you should make it on whatever grounds seem good to you.

Like my response above, I have no issue with the college itself but more so how I would live for the next 3 years. My current college is really isolated and I really don’t feel like I’d fit in, especially with my research on it and my visit up there this week. If I had done some research prior to UCAS admissions, I would’ve been fine but I honesty did not have enough time to make an informed decision about my college (long story short, I had about 20 minutes before the deadline to chose a college, and I just chose any based on my teacher’s recommendation, as I was already a bit overwhelmed). The other college seems to offer exactly what I’m looking for, it’s in the city centre where there are lot of people, the college seems far more lively and it just has a vibe that attracts me to it. I know I’d do well at Oxford if I have surroundings that I prefer instead of trying to adjust to a new environment that I don’t particularly like. That’s my only concern, the academic side will hit me like a bus BUT I know I can handle that; the accommodation side not so much :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Afiea
Like my response above, I have no issue with the college itself but more so how I would live for the next 3 years. My current college is really isolated and I really don’t feel like I’d fit in, especially with my research on it and my visit up there this week. If I had done some research prior to UCAS admissions, I would’ve been fine but I honesty did not have enough time to make an informed decision about my college (long story short, I had about 20 minutes before the deadline to chose a college, and I just chose any based on my teacher’s recommendation, as I was already a bit overwhelmed). The other college seems to offer exactly what I’m looking for, it’s in the city centre where there are lot of people, the college seems far more lively and it just has a vibe that attracts me to it. I know I’d do well at Oxford if I have surroundings that I prefer instead of trying to adjust to a new environment that I don’t particularly like. That’s my only concern, the academic side will hit me like a bus BUT I know I can handle that; the accommodation side not so much :frown:

Which college is it though? Another poster has had a similar dilemma in relation to St Hugh's and it was pointed out that it really isn't that far out and has advantages in terms of three years of on site accommodation that central colleges can't offer. And why do you think you won't fit in?

To tell a personal anecdote. I applied and got into my college on deferred entry without knowing much except it was considered to have good tutors for my subject. During my gap year I learnt that it had a reputation for extreme academic standards (which would have put me off applying if I had known) and I went for a visit with people that I met at interviews. After the first day of that visit I was utterly convinced that I had made a terrible mistake - the people I was with were nothing like me, I couldn't relate to them, they were all "posh" and southern while I was from a northern state school. Then, on the second day, they introduced me to some other people on the course at the college who were totally different and I felt much better about going. When I was actually there, yes, there were some people at the college who I didn't fit in with (and I am sure that would have been the case anywhere!) but there were plenty that I did fit in with. Just because you didn't see the 'vibe' you like front and centre when you visited doesn't mean that there aren't other people with that 'vibe' at the college. You also have the option to join university clubs and make friends that way - some people at Oxford have social circles entirely based on college but there are others who are focused on a club or society or their course and have relatively little to do with their college.
Reply 6
It's St. Catherine's college, and I just have this hard to swallow feeling about the college. It was totally fine after I did my application but after researching it in more depth, it feels very obscure and the accommodation seems very off-putting, especially the kitchen facilities - basically a small cupboard with a hob and microwave. All the times I've visited the college, even during interviews, I didn't like the quietness at all, personally for me I love to be surrounded by people and being in a college closer to the city centre would be much preferable.

Original post by Kiki09
Which college is it though? Another poster has had a similar dilemma in relation to St Hugh's and it was pointed out that it really isn't that far out and has advantages in terms of three years of on site accommodation that central colleges can't offer. And why do you think you won't fit in?

To tell a personal anecdote. I applied and got into my college on deferred entry without knowing much except it was considered to have good tutors for my subject. During my gap year I learnt that it had a reputation for extreme academic standards (which would have put me off applying if I had known) and I went for a visit with people that I met at interviews. After the first day of that visit I was utterly convinced that I had made a terrible mistake - the people I was with were nothing like me, I couldn't relate to them, they were all "posh" and southern while I was from a northern state school. Then, on the second day, they introduced me to some other people on the course at the college who were totally different and I felt much better about going. When I was actually there, yes, there were some people at the college who I didn't fit in with (and I am sure that would have been the case anywhere!) but there were plenty that I did fit in with. Just because you didn't see the 'vibe' you like front and centre when you visited doesn't mean that there aren't other people with that 'vibe' at the college. You also have the option to join university clubs and make friends that way - some people at Oxford have social circles entirely based on college but there are others who are focused on a club or society or their course and have relatively little to do with their college.
Have you thought about attending an open day? Both my sons went to one. Their friends looked round other colleges and some changed their preferences. Maybe go to Oxford and have a good look round. All of the colleges have amazing tutors and fabulous students. Just make sure you pick a college that offers your course. I would be proud to study at any Oxford college. Why did you pick Catz?
Original post by Afiea
It's St. Catherine's college, and I just have this hard to swallow feeling about the college. It was totally fine after I did my application but after researching it in more depth, it feels very obscure and the accommodation seems very off-putting, especially the kitchen facilities - basically a small cupboard with a hob and microwave. All the times I've visited the college, even during interviews, I didn't like the quietness at all, personally for me I love to be surrounded by people and being in a college closer to the city centre would be much preferable.
Reply 8
I didn't really choose St.Catz; my whole UCAS application to Oxford was an unprecedented one, to say the least - I didn't know I would apply until a week before the deadline (my teacher encouraged me to apply but I was hesitant at first) and that meant I couldn't really research which college I would like - I chose St.Catz bc my teacher said its quite friendly etc. and the state of mind I was in at that time meant just went with it. Had I had more time to prepare I would've chosen a college far closer to the city centre and one that is more to my liking - I for one like St. John's far better in terms of accommodation.

Original post by Oxford Mum
Have you thought about attending an open day? Both my sons went to one. Their friends looked round other colleges and some changed their preferences. Maybe go to Oxford and have a good look round. All of the colleges have amazing tutors and fabulous students. Just make sure you pick a college that offers your course. I would be proud to study at any Oxford college. Why did you pick Catz?
You may not even end up in St Catz to be fair. Many candidates are pooled.
Original post by Afiea
I didn't really choose St.Catz; my whole UCAS application to Oxford was an unprecedented one, to say the least - I didn't know I would apply until a week before the deadline (my teacher encouraged me to apply but I was hesitant at first) and that meant I couldn't really research which college I would like - I chose St.Catz bc my teacher said its quite friendly etc. and the state of mind I was in at that time meant just went with it. Had I had more time to prepare I would've chosen a college far closer to the city centre and one that is more to my liking - I for one like St. John's far better in terms of accommodation.
Reply 10
Ahh sorry for the confusion but I have already gotten an offer from St Catz. I'm unsure as to how pooling works tbh, and if I should accept the offer or not.
You may not even end up in St Catz to be fair. Many candidates are pooled.
ALREADY GOT AN OFFER arrrrrrrgh! People would kill for less... Keep an open mind, and you'll soon feel at home at St Catz. Within no time, you'll be fighting imaginary duels to defend it's honour...
Original post by Afiea
Ahh sorry for the confusion but I have already gotten an offer from St Catz. I'm unsure as to how pooling works tbh, and if I should accept the offer or not.
Reply 12
ALREADY GOT AN OFFER arrrrrrrgh! People would kill for less... Keep an open mind, and you'll soon feel at home at St Catz. Within no time, you'll be fighting imaginary duels to defend it's honour...

I’ll try my best to do so, thank you so much for the help ☺️
In a year's time you'll be posting about how great it is.
Original post by Afiea
Original post by Afiea

What are you studying there. Its scary moving to a new place. Just remember everyone else will be feeling the same. I felt the same just last week about the university i have chosen. I think the best option is to stick with the option you first chose. I mean the college you have chosen if Oxford. Seriously that's amazing! :smile:
Do you have any in mind at all? I received an offer for Biochem this year so I might be able to help a bit.
Reply 16
Original post by travelcollegeguy
What are you studying there. Its scary moving to a new place. Just remember everyone else will be feeling the same. I felt the same just last week about the university i have chosen. I think the best option is to stick with the option you first chose. I mean the college you have chosen if Oxford. Seriously that's amazing! :smile:

I’m planning to study biomedical sciences and I’m scary because I’ll have to move out if I accept - I honestly had no idea that I’d get a place so this was quite a lot to process! What are you planning to study and which uni if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 17
Original post by ThatGuy107
Do you have any in mind at all? I received an offer for Biochem this year so I might be able to help a bit.

Ahh, which college did you apply to? And also, maybe the way I wrote it confused people but I’ve already gotten an offer from St. Catz to study biomedical sciences. This was just me being me, worrying if I’ll be able to fit in or not, especially since researching, that it’s not my favourite college anymore.
Original post by Afiea
Ahh, which college did you apply to? And also, maybe the way I wrote it confused people but I’ve already gotten an offer from St. Catz to study biomedical sciences. This was just me being me, worrying if I’ll be able to fit in or not, especially since researching, that it’s not my favourite college anymore.

Ah, my offers at St Peter’s and Ik what you mean I have similar worries. I just think it’s worth giving it a go, even if you dislike it after Christmas of the first term you can always try a different uni!
Original post by Afiea
I’m planning to study biomedical sciences and I’m scary because I’ll have to move out if I accept - I honestly had no idea that I’d get a place so this was quite a lot to process! What are you planning to study and which uni if you don’t mind me asking?

Im planning on studying International Tourism Management and have chosen Chester as my firm university. Wow that is amazing. Of course its scary, i would go as far as saying it wouldn't be human if you didn't find it scary.

I think you should accept your place and as Oxford Mum says you will be back on hear in a years time saying how amazing it is.

Well done and congratulations :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending