The Student Room Group

What's it like to be a kitchen porter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I personally think it is a great job yeah it's busy but to be honest if it. Isn't busy then what's the point chefs were I work are great and don't have a problem with me cause I just get on with the job and do more than they ask so yeah it's a great job to have
Reply 61
It's great
It depends on how busy it is and the people you work with. If the work is steady and co workers are reasonable it's ok. If it's ridiculously busy, waitresses don't scrape plates and the head chef talks to you like you've just crawled out of a sewer, it's vile.I've experienced both in the places I've worked.Dave, Liverpool
It depends how motivated you are at it I work as one and it’s tiering I agree and you feel grubby and oily at the end but if your in the correct environment it’s fun like I work with 1 other girl in the kitchen and the rest are lads we just mess about throw food at each other but it’s gotta be the right environment have a trial day and if it’s too much and they are all to serious don’t take the job just gotta keep calm
i know it’s been 11 years but everyone here’s a pussy ass ***** i am the hottest fittest kitchen porter the pub has ever seen and all you do is not be a pussy and listen to the radio and get your raw hands down a chunky wet food plug hole it’s well swag
Thanks bro just applied for a kp job and was wondering what it's like so if it's like u say it'll be great
Im a kitchen porter for 4 days now and all i can say it’s very tiring job to be honest everytime i got home i feel like im gonna cry because i work really hard and fast and doing this and this all of this and my hands are not soft anymore and i work 8 hours a day and for me it’s a very bad job for teenagers specially if you work 5 days a week as a kitchen porter. bro just quit the job
I started as one almost two weeks ago and after the first day I almost quit.
I'd say maybe the first day is a bit of a jumpscare and I thought I wouldn't be able to handle it, but I was convinced to stay a few more days and I'm kind of getting into it a bit more.
The chef's are nice, FOH are nice, sometimes it's a bit busy and I finish late but it's really okay with me, although I was told that I'd have to do my job faster and clean up my sink after my shift.
It's definitely a constant job and taking a break just feels like sabotage on your washing progress, but once the day is done it's the biggest relief.

Also make sure the bins are regularly changed throughout the day otherwise it'd make for an awkward end to your shift 😅 (PS one of the bags split which had liquid in it and then I had to mop it up and get another bin bag, and yeah.. they were heavy!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending