Loughborough V Sussex

Watch
Megan Hughes
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What one is best for psychology ? And what university is the best in terms of location/ facilities
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
It seems everyone is on holiday

I found this sort of thing https://www.lboro.ac.uk/students/pro...038449-en.html
under Structure Tab, they seem to be talking about LufBro "module credits" rather than Bologna ECTS credits, as there's a lot more than 180ECTS (a typical BSc) It does show a lot of course detail, but misses timing, surely you'd have about 24h/week of lectures , if not more?

LufBro is a very nice campus uni, half-way between Leicester & Derby, nearly "up North", but not quite. My scientific department here in Italy do a lot of work with some of the physics staff in LufBro, they are world class. It is the official English "sporting excellence university", similar to how Stirling is the Scottish sport support university. Lots of tracksuits!

Sussex, well how do I put it delicately, nope - If Freddy Mercury was going to Uni, would he choose Sussex?
I think that is more of a Brighton city & beach thing, than a University of Sussex thing. And Brighton, remember has an unofficial title of "London by the Sea," nice shopping little boutiques in "the Lanes", cream-teas available in the hotels. There are a full three universities in the town, so you will have a fun atmosphere that is more balanced.

back to science, I am very impressed that UoSussex mentions "Clinical Imaging Sciences Centre housing MRI and PET/CT" which they might allow you Psychologists to use. That is very cutting edge; all the history of Psych was external Freudian evaluation and guesswork - the future of Psychology builds upon the past but adds functional brain scanning, and scientific experiments "which bit of the human brain lights up with high glucose consumption when the bonobo eats a banana?" or "is shown a picture of Basil Fawlty". Magnetic resonance imaging and positron emission tomography with computerised tomography is exactly where the future is at.

So if you dream of that science, experiment, statistical stuff then http://www.sussex.ac.uk/psychology/resources looks great!
However both universities would surely be able to teach well the old traditional Psychology too... there are many pathways... I think it is an amazing degree to choose at this moment, now we can actually PROVE things we hypothesise (or disprove them, which I think is almost better)

Where did you plan to end up, which branch of the subject ??... question for you to ask yourself, as I just provided an answer from my preexisting biases.
excitedpresent
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Megan Hughes)
What one is best for psychology ? And what university is the best in terms of location/ facilities
loughborough is the better uni generally, but sussex's psych course is much better
Loughborough University
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Megan Hughes)
Hi Megan,

Loughborough is in the Top Ten for Psychology in the UK (The Guardian University Guide 2019). We're ranked 1st in the UK for University Facilities (Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2019). In terms of location, Loughborough is based on a 440-acre, single-site campus at the heart of the UK. We're 90mins from London, and we have transport links to Leicester, Nottingham and Birmingham.

The University as a whole is ranked within the Top Ten across every national league table.

Hope this helps!

- Priya
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (53)
21.63%
Note taking apps (6)
2.45%
Flashcards (47)
19.18%
Revision guides (15)
6.12%
Past papers (116)
47.35%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (8)
3.27%

Watched Threads