European elections, seems hard to find information and how to vote? Watch

SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don't think I have once voted in and EU election. Is there an attempt to skew the votes so it is mainly EU citizens living in other countries, and therefore pro-Europeans who vote? Because I am currently trying to find out candidates and how to vote and there does not seem to be any very simple clear way when there should be.
LeapingLucy
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Regarding this particular election, the lack of information is presumably because this time two weeks ago nobody thought we would be taking part in European elections - we were supposed to be out of the EU by now - and so parties hadn't even found candidates to stand for election. They're now all scrambling to find the resources (candidates & money) to fight an election they hadn't planned for. Once they've selected candidates I'm sure they'll publish all the details and you'll be able to decide who to vote for.

Regarding general low awareness of European elections, turnout has always been really low in the UK - the UK still receives the same proportion of seats every time though, so "EU citizens living in other countries" exert zero effect on our European representation. It's definitely not a big conspiracy.

And similarly, I think you're wrong to think that the low awareness benefits those who support the EU. Are you not aware that UKIP won the 2014 European election in Britain, representing the first time that a party other than Labour or the Conservatives won a UK-wide election in over 100 years? It was largely that victory that scared Cameron into promising a referendum & thus Brexit happening in the first place...
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 1 month ago
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Report 1 month ago
Fear not.

Nigel Farage has just formed a new party - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47907350. No doubt looking forward to wasting more of taxpayers money, by being elected, not turning up to meetings, and not representing the British viewpoint, what ever that is.
Trotsky's Iceaxe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
I don't think I have once voted in and EU election. Is there an attempt to skew the votes so it is mainly EU citizens living in other countries, and therefore pro-Europeans who vote? Because I am currently trying to find out candidates and how to vote and there does not seem to be any very simple clear way when there should be.
No, there is not some grand conspiracy.

I can only assume you’ve been living under a rock, otherwise you’d be aware that we should have left the EU prior to the elections in May.
RadioactiveJelly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pretty much no-one in the UK has ever voted in the EU elections, most people did not even know that such elections took place until quite recently. But then most of us did not even realise that we had joined a European Union until some years after the 'event'... It's no wonder people want out the EU has never given us any reason to feel a belonging to it.
Maia_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There is a simple way which took me a couple minutes to find. yourevotematters.eu has a quiz to show which EU parties you side with.
You need to register to vote online (europa.eu). You then vote by post or by proxy.
The reason you don’t know about this is because very few UK citizens vote in eu elections. Voter apathy is extremely high, we have one of the lowest eu election turn outs in Europe. Voter turn out it low probably because you have to actually understand policies to make an educated vote. Notice there is much less emotive language, misinformed predictions and straight up lies from these politicians (excluding Nigel Farage, who still takes his check and won’t give up his eu pension but doesn’t show up to work) because it’s about politics, not the media.
EU citizens in other countries vote because they care about it and know how much the results effects them.

Last edited by Maia_; 1 month ago
Doones
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The party lists and candidates are only now being finalised. The election is still over a month away.

The results of the previous election in 2014 are here:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/united...s/results.html

Are you registered to vote? If not you do need to do that now.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
A quiz? Why should you fill out which parties you side with before voting, is that to make sure you have 'the right' opinions..?
(Original post by Maia_)
There is a simple way which took me a couple minutes to find. yourevotematters.eu has a quiz to show which EU parties you side with.
You need to register to vote online (europa.eu). You then vote by post or by proxy.
The reason you don’t know about this is because very few UK citizens vote in eu elections. Voter apathy is extremely high, we have one of the lowest eu election turn outs in Europe. Voter turn out it low probably because you have to actually understand policies to make an educated vote. Notice there is much less emotive language, misinformed predictions and straight up lies from these politicians (excluding Nigel Farage, who still takes his check and won’t give up his eu pension but doesn’t show up to work) because it’s about politics, not the media.
EU citizens in other countries vote because they care about it and know how much the results effects them.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Why do I want the previous results? These replies are also quite confusing. Why is there not just a simple way, via a page you can direct me to, that as a UK citizen I can vote?
(Original post by Doones)
The party lists and candidates are only now being finalised. The election is still over a month away.

The results of the previous election in 2014 are here:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/united...s/results.html

Are you registered to vote? If not you do need to do that now.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
I know I'm registered for local elections, it came trhough the post and I did it online, why does it not come through the post for this? Wny can't I just register for both? This whole thing seems like a stitch up so that only pro-EU people can vote.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
And I've only been giving notification of being registered to vote for local elections, there is still just a load of crap about how to vote but no place telling you if tyou are registered.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ghostwalker)
Fear not.

Nigel Farage has just formed a new party - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47907350. No doubt looking forward to wasting more of taxpayers money, by being elected, not turning up to meetings, and not representing the British viewpoint, what ever that is.
He'll also be complaining that he is living in 'penury' (his words, not mine) on the £90K + generous expenses for being an MEP and the trifling £300K a year he earns on LBC for bashing the EU Parliament.

At least someone's doing well out of Brexit.
Maia_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A quiz? Why should you fill out which parties you side with before voting, is that to make sure you have 'the right' opinions..?
No. It’s just a quiz so that you don’t have to read through all the party manifestos to know which one you side with.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know I'm registered for local elections, it came trhough the post and I did it online, why does it not come through the post for this? Wny can't I just register for both? This whole thing seems like a stitch up so that only pro-EU people can vote.
If you have already registered you don't need to register again. You'll get a polling card in due course nearer the election date. NB. A polling card isn't actually needed to vote
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Brandon Lewis was saying today he is hopeful that we won't be voting in the European elections. When they don't even know if we'll be voting in them, this close to them, the info can be somewhat convoluted.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
And I've only been giving notification of being registered to vote for local elections, there is still just a load of crap about how to vote but no place telling you if tyou are registered.
You can check with your local council. They hold the electroral roll.

BUT if you have already registered and have received a poll card you are on the roll. You don't need to do anything.
Last edited by Doones; 3 weeks ago
Maia_
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Register to vote at https://www.registertovote.service.g...609.1530042201 it’s not a stitch up so only pro-EU people can vote and idk why you’re so insistent that it is. If you googled “how to vote in eu elections uk” you would’ve found it.
JinChang
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Quite simple, you get sent a ballot paper, you tick a box next to the party you hate the least then pop the ballot paper in the post.
LeapingLucy
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
1) If you've already registered for local elections, you don't need to re-register for Euros.

2) You will get your polling card in the post - the reason you haven't got it yet is that the European elections aren't for 3 weeks after the locals, so they're being administered separately.

3) There has been always been extremely low turn-out at EU elections, but if anything it benefits anti-EU people - are you not aware that UKIP won the 2014 European election, which was a large factor behind Cameron's decision to hold a referendum and thus gave us Brexit in the first place?
Last edited by LeapingLucy; 3 weeks ago
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You really don't understand how our electoral system works, do you?

Jesus...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (469)
26.23%
The paper was reasonable (778)
43.51%
Not feeling great about that exam (351)
19.63%
It was TERRIBLE (190)
10.63%

Watched Threads