If your SQA exams were tomorrow... Watch

Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
We've still got a couple of weeks until the SQA exams start, so there is time to be working on things and improving your grades.

But, if you were to sit them tomorrow, what grades do you think you'd get?
AyrshireStudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A - Design and Manufacture
A - Business Management
B - Geography
C - Maths
C - English
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by AyrshireStudent)
A - Design and Manufacture
A - Business Management
B - Geography
C - Maths
C - English
That's a good set of grades to be working at! What grades are you aiming for?
AyrshireStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have no idea I'm just wanting to pass them all. A C at Higher Maths would be good, Design and Manufacture is really easy apart from the assignment which I spent months on. With English my only gripe is the critical essay as I struggle with time management. With Business I think the content easy but there's so much to learn just like Geography. The issue is with my Geography assignment as I practically panicked during the write-up and made a mess of it that's why I'm worrying about it as if I do well in the exam it's just going to hinder my grade.
(Original post by Labrador99)
That's a good set of grades to be working at! What grades are you aiming for?
Lilligant22
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have no idea I'm just wanting to pass them all. A C at Higher Maths would be good, Design and Manufacture is really easy apart from the assignment which I spent months on. With English my only gripe is the critical essay as I struggle with time management. With Business I think the content easy but there's so much to learn just like Geography. The issue is with my Geography assignment as I practically panicked during the write-up and made a mess of it that's why I'm worrying about it as if I do well in the exam it's just going to hinder my grade.
The thing with Geography and English is just that it helps to have a good memory, imo. I'm a visual learner and so by highlighting stuff I can actually recall my notes in the exam; if I see a highlighted heading in the colour blue, I try to imagine what the text was under the heading and then I can remember it that way.

For Geography I think a significant thing is how you answer the question, e.g if it says "explain" make sure you use "because" - your mark will come after your "because".
Gatonolixo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Higher

Maths-C
English-B
Biology-B
Art-A
Spanish-A

Maths, Biology and English have been really difficult for me this year. In Maths my class is built around self-studying and so there are no lectures from the teacher, only textbook pages. In Biology, my timetable has made me miss a whole bunch of lessons this year and so my Biology knowledge is completely out of whack, as well as not having learned crucial exam answering methods and problem-solving skills. In English, I just can't find any interest in the book we are studying, and my teacher, as well as my classroom, were not the best. The lights would be really dim which would make me want to go to sleep, and we would never go over any past paper stuff.

I feel screwedddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddd. I have nowhere else to study apart from my house where all the distractions are, and I just can't discipline myself to focus.
AyrshireStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Essentially in the same position as me, our school has a lack of teachers. Last year we never had an English teacher for 5 months.
(Original post by Gatonolixo)
Higher

Maths-C
English-B
Biology-B
Art-A
Spanish-A

Maths, Biology and English have been really difficult for me this year. In Maths my class is built around self-studying and so there are no lectures from the teacher, only textbook pages. In Biology, my timetable has made me miss a whole bunch of lessons this year and so my Biology knowledge is completely out of whack, as well as not having learned crucial exam answering methods and problem-solving skills. In English, I just can't find any interest in the book we are studying, and my teacher, as well as my classroom, were not the best. The lights would be really dim which would make me want to go to sleep, and we would never go over any past paper stuff.

I feel screwedddddddddddddddddddddddddd ddddddddddddddddddd. I have nowhere else to study apart from my house where all the distractions are, and I just can't discipline myself to focus.
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gatonolixo)
Higher

Maths-C
English-B
Biology-B
Art-A
Spanish-A

Sounds like everything put together at school hasn't made it easy for you this year :no: Your grades at the minute are really good though, and even though exams are getting close, you can do it! There's lots of people here on TSR so if there's stuff you're not sure of, just ask in the exam discussion threads
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Can understand the frustration that comes from these assignment write ups when you know they didn't go as well as you knew you could do them...Am really not a fan of them being such a memory game Try to think of it as being 2 independent parts- the mark you got in your assignment doesn't influence the one you get in the exam (and likewise, the one you get in the exam doesn't influence the assignment one). Even though they do come together to form your final grade, you can still get a great result with your exam making up most of the marks, so don't give up with it!
Can't offer that much advice for learning content, as it can vary a lot person to person so really just depends how you can learn it, and can definitely relate to the critical essay. I always did the Scottish text section first, and found setting myself a time limit for that section before moving on meant that I could give both parts a good go, and wouldn't end up with a completed essay but no attempted poetry questions, or vice versa.
Valeriex
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well I'm doing Nat 5s but I think they are the same thing?
Anyways:
Maths: A (band 2)
English: B
Chemistry: B
Biology: B
Music: A (high band 2/low 1-depends on how my composition scores and I really couldn't tell you)
French: C (my talking was awful so it's probably gonna pull my grade down)
Spanish: High B/low A (kinda upset I'm not continuing with Spanish, but honestly just find the languages content really boring)
Labrador99
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Valeriex)
Anyways:
Maths: A (band 2)
English: B
Chemistry: B
Biology: B
Music: A (high band 2/low 1-depends on how my composition scores and I really couldn't tell you)
French: C (my talking was awful so it's probably gonna pull my grade down)
Spanish: High B/low A (kinda upset I'm not continuing with Spanish, but honestly just find the languages content really boring)
Don't worry, we have an SQA version too (Hope you don't mind me moving it over )

Looks like you're on track for a good set of grades! Does this match up with what you're wanting to achieve, or are you aiming for something different?
Valeriex
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
Looks like you're on track for a good set of grades! Does this match up with what you're wanting to achieve, or are you aiming for something different?
I'd love to get As in the subjects I'm taking at higher (bio, chem, english, maths and music) I think it is possible for all of my subjects apart from English just as even though I love reading, essay writing is really not my strength (don't think I've ever gotten above a 12/20, usually more an 8-10) and I'm just okay at all the other parts of course.
Relentas
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Advanced Higher
Maths - B
^ Been getting 65%ish in my practice tests, I'd revise tf out of point of intersection of lines and planes, that stuff still goes right over my head. Grade boundaries recently have been around 75% however so probs a low B.
Biology - A
^ Done a bunch of revision, my project mark would heavily boost my grade, been getting 72% in my practice tests, no clue what I'd revise, probably neurons and mitosis.
Chemistry - A
^ Got an average of 73%, did no revision for the prelim and got an A, not to mention my assignment would boost me up a lot and the grade boundaries for an A in recent years has been like 68% overall.

(Extra) Higher
Psychology - D
^ Done no revision yet, its on the 30th of May so..

TLDR: AAB (+ D at higher psychology)
most of which would be close to being a grade below that so more revision is needed.
Trhoul
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My reports had,
Maths: A (i got a B in my combined prelim but my teacher has faith)
Chemistry: A
Biology: A
Geography: B (target A)
English: A
Advanced higher art: unknown

Everyone is expecting me to do very well, which only adds to the immense pressure.
On top of that i got my first B in a mini biology prelim and im gutted, i was ill but my teacher feels i should easy get 80% + on every test, its just so disheartening when i cant study and a lot of family stuff is going on.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (376)
37.49%
No - but I will (76)
7.58%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (480)
47.86%

Watched Threads