Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I have a few chemistry questions. Firstly, when you right an expression including the partial pressures of an equation, do you write p or pp? e.g. if cl2 was present, would we write(pCl2) or (ppCl2)? Two different markschemes for aqa have given one as p and another as pp ? Also, is the positive electrode the one where reduction is occurring? Also, I dont understand that if the cathode is negative, why is it the electrode where reduction occurs? Many thanks
Last edited by Bertybassett; 1 year ago
sunnyun
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would say write p(Cl2) instead of pp(Cl2), that is what OCR uses but either way, I don't think you would be penalised for either.

Reduction is the gain of electrons, which happens at the positive electrode so oxidation (the loss of electrons) happens at the negative electrode.
I tend to not think using the terms cathode and anode because they just confuse me as it is the opposite (I think) to what I learned about electrolysis at GCSE, so instead just use positive and negative electrode.
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
ah ok thanks
(Original post by sunnyun)
I would say write p(Cl2) instead of pp(Cl2), that is what OCR uses but either way, I don't think you would be penalised for either.

Reduction is the gain of electrons, which happens at the positive electrode so oxidation (the loss of electrons) happens at the negative electrode.
I tend to not think using the terms cathode and anode because they just confuse me as it is the opposite (I think) to what I learned about electrolysis at GCSE, so instead just use positive and negative electrode.
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Hi, I have a few chemistry questions. Firstly, when you right an expression including the partial pressures of an equation, do you write p or pp? e.g. if cl2 was present, would we write(pCl2) or (ppCl2)? Two different markschemes for aqa have given one as p and another as pp ? Also, is the positive electrode the one where reduction is occurring? Also, I dont understand that if the cathode is negative, why is it the electrode where reduction occurs? Many thanks
p or pp, matters not. What does matter is to make sure you avoid square brackets.

The name cathode and anode and their correspondence to +ve and -ve electrode depends on whether you are generating electricity or using electricity. As sunnyun said, why not just stick to +ve and -ve electrodes. Surely no exam board (these days) will give a mark for requiring you to remember the name of an electrode.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (394)
56.61%
I don't have everything I need (302)
43.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise