The Student Room Group

I told all of my friends that I hope they get cancer

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mgi
'Banter 'often means taking the p..s, and being rude and trying to get away with it. A useless form of pretending to be smart.

I love being rude to my friends in a harmless way and them being rude back is funny to me. But I would never cross the line into saying something like I hope they get cancer, I hope it's terminal....Jesus, that's just not funny
Original post by harrysbar
I love being rude to my friends in a harmless way and them being rude back is funny to me. But I would never cross the line into saying something like I hope they get cancer, I hope it's terminal....Jesus, that's just not funny

you're not brave enough to tell people to get cancer.only someone who's fearless would use such a roast.
Original post by BarbieGirl5678
you're not brave enough to tell people to get cancer.only someone who's fearless would use such a roast.

:troll:
I've had cancer, and it's not funny at all. So please apologise, and say you said it in a drunken moment, and didn't mean it. I would be ok with that.
It's interesting seeing these responses and how we're all so different.

Personally, I would aplogise profusely and genuinely. The worst I've ever done is call a friend a b**** and that was bad enough.

So the one you don't care about you do still hope she gets cancer? Wow
Whaaaaat? :dontknow:
Original post by MynameisJenny
You're right, I shouldn't show any weakness, they're in the wrong for all ganging up to me and now I am hoping that what I said upset them. If they want to begin a war then I'll look forward to it! My first move will probably be telling them that I hope it's terminal. I don't even need them as my friends, problem solved.
Remember the days when all Barbie girls cared about was Ken?
#those were the days
Whatever you say, Barbie
Being drunk just makes you do something you already wanted to do.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I've had cancer, and it's not funny at all. So please apologise, and say you said it in a drunken moment, and didn't mean it. I would be ok with that.

That's right, Oxford Mum, it's not something to trivialise (my sister had cancer too and I agree that there's nothing funny about it). The sad thing is that most people will be affected by cancer at some point so people trolling about it now will probably live to regret it. Not that I hope they get affected by it, not at all
This truth is so old there's a Latin phrase for it: in vino veritas.
Original post by Andrew97
Being drunk just makes you do something you already wanted to do.
In all of this, how about your friends apologising for picking on you, and acting in such an obnoxious way that it made you want to storm out on them?

They acted like a pack of wolves ganging up on you. And now the next day they're still acting like a self-righteous pack of wolves by ignoring you and not extending the hand of friendship.

Your comment about cancer should be taken in the context it was given in. You could substitute what you said for plenty of remarks that just feature a lot of swear words and in that context would have had the same general meaning. Of course you don't seriously want any of them to get cancer. Just as of course you wouldn't really think that they were incestuous children if you'd used another common insult appropriate to the situation.

Instead of apologising straight out, the next time you saw them you should have opened in a tonally neutral way with "Do you understand how you all made me feel last night?" And then take the discussion from there. Preferably in a way that's not finger pointing and apportioning blame, but in a way that's what's done is done and what's the best way to go forward from here.
Reply 30
Original post by BarbieGirl5678

No. its nothing to do with being fearless. It's just an ignorant and derogatory insult . She realised it was out of order and wanted to apologise.
Original post by mgi
No. its nothing to do with being fearless. It's just an ignorant and derogatory insult . She realised it was out of order and wanted to apologise.

but Jenny doesn't want to apologize anymore
Let's face it you're a sewer-rat dwelling guttersnipe who smokes pushing a pram. Only a nasty person wishes terminal cancer on others.
Oh dear, let's have some decorum on this thread. It's true the others were ganging up on her, so maybe it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Hopefully this will blow over.

(Original post by Anonymous)
Let's face it you're a sewer-rat dwelling guttersnipe who smokes pushing a pram. Only a nasty person wishes terminal cancer on others.
cancer? thats all?
Original post by I'mComingOxford
cancer? thats all?

I may have told the fattest one of the group that I hope he has a heart attack but I can't remember as I was drunk. I think the group is making that bit up though.
Wow. I would not like to hear that from a friend. Are there any further insults we might have missed?
My friend used to say things like that to me. She is now my ex best friend.
I may have told the fattest one of the group that I hope he has a heart attack but I can't remember as I was drunk. I think the group is making that bit up though.
The main lesson is drink less in future. Probably the same goes for your friends too.
Got it in one. :adore:
Original post by barnetlad
The main lesson is drink less in future. Probably the same goes for your friends too.

Queen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending