The Student Room Group

Can you live off £300 a month including bills?

So my rent has just gone up so I’m going to be left with about £300 a month which has to cover everything else. I think my council tax is about £100 a month, the WiFi is £35 a month and my phone is in contract for £30 a month. I don’t know the exact amount of the other bills but I have water, gas, electricity and insurance.
How can I reduce any of these bills and can I live off that £300 a month? Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

You can probably claim low income council tax reduction if you're left on that much per month, just contact your local council. That'll sort out the £100 problem.

For WiFi/Internet, a possible option is to just not bother with the WiFi and get an unlimited data phone plan. I do that, it provides my internet, costs £27 a month, and surprisingly isn't that bad. Depends on where you live though, since coverage may vary.

If you sort out the council tax, it'll be doable.
Reply 2
That’s a good idea about the WiFi. I’m in contract for another 7 months but after that I will probably cancel it. I’m pretty sure I can’t get any tax reduction because I spoke to someone not that long ago and they said that if I don’t have kids they don’t offer any reductions.

Original post by Callicious
You can probably claim low income council tax reduction if you're left on that much per month, just contact your local council. That'll sort out the £100 problem.

For WiFi/Internet, a possible option is to just not bother with the WiFi and get an unlimited data phone plan. I do that, it provides my internet, costs £27 a month, and surprisingly isn't that bad. Depends on where you live though, since coverage may vary.

If you sort out the council tax, it'll be doable.
How much has your rent gone up by?!
Reply 4
£250 from £750 to £1000

Original post by Decahedron
How much has your rent gone up by?!
Reply 5
The £300 has to include food.
So basically you have about 135 to cover the electricity, water etc. and food???
Reply 7
Yes. I looked up the water bill and it is £55 a month.
Original post by AzureCeleste
So basically you have about 135 to cover the electricity, water etc. and food???
Original post by Hailey1998
£250 from £750 to £1000

Damn!

How long have you got on your lease?
Hi,There is a website called entitledto which you can input your details/circumstances into and it will advise if you are entitled to apply for any support.Your rent increase (without knowing your circumstances) seems astonishing have you been served correct notices for increase etc? Can you look at finding cheaper accommodation? For information regarding this look at the house buying and renting subsection of money saving expert (or shelter, if you don’t want to use a forum) Are there any opportunities to increase your income? Second job etc.^just a few random thoughts
Reply 10
8 months but I’m not sure if there is anything much cheaper tbh

Original post by Decahedron
Damn!

How long have you got on your lease?
Reply 11
I’ve got eight months left on my lease but where I live it is still quite cheap.
I will look into that website but I did ring the council not that long ago but they said they can’t help because I don’t have kids.
I do work about 50 hours a week in total but I’m on nearly minimum wage.
Original post by Coffee Queen
Hi,There is a website called entitledto which you can input your details/circumstances into and it will advise if you are entitled to apply for any support.Your rent increase (without knowing your circumstances) seems astonishing have you been served correct notices for increase etc? Can you look at finding cheaper accommodation? For information regarding this look at the house buying and renting subsection of money saving expert (or shelter, if you don’t want to use a forum) Are there any opportunities to increase your income? Second job etc.^just a few random thoughts
Yes. I looked up the water bill and it is £55 a month.

Damn
You will struggle a bit, although saying that students can live on 10 pound a week so if you budget properly you will only need 40 a month for food
Maybe look for a better paying job?
I am assuming that you are in England but I really would check that you have been served the correct notices for increasing rent, some landlords don’t follow procedures correctly etc. There are landlords and advocates who know all the ins and outs on the forum I mentioned.
where do you live? theres places to eat for free in most cities, or make a small donation, I know one in London if thats where you are
I think it might be worth investing in a different phone contract?

My phone bill is £9 a month (with Virgin) and I get the following;

5Gb a month
1,500 mins (typically talk through Whatsapp though)
Unlimited texts

So, while I'll admit the minutes are rather low, I would consider downloading Whatsapp and talking through the WiFi. =l
Should save you a couple hundred quid a year.
Reply 16
I’m still in contract
Original post by Scienceisgood
I think it might be worth investing in a different phone contract?

My phone bill is £9 a month (with Virgin) and I get the following;

5Gb a month
1,500 mins (typically talk through Whatsapp though)
Unlimited texts

So, while I'll admit the minutes are rather low, I would consider downloading Whatsapp and talking through the WiFi. =l
Should save you a couple hundred quid a year.
Even in London £1000 p/m is quite a lot - I've got friends flat sharing for like £800 p/m, can't you flat share?
8 months but I’m not sure if there is anything much cheaper tbh

I’m curious, how much notice did your landlord give you, and is the increase coming in before or when your tenancy is up renewal?
Reply 19
£250 from £750 to £1000

£1000 a month rent is too much for someone on minimum wage

You are living above your means

Move someplace CHEAPER

Quick Reply

Latest