GCSE Latin Watch

Katiewright.__
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m studying GCSE Latin and I’m really struggling on how to revise. My first exam is in may and I need help on methods to doing well, I have a really bad teacher and therefore find it really difficult to understand endings and tenses and word order etc and would really appreciate some help
han0110
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did GCSE Latin 2 years ago and it was pretty awful to revise for, but I got a good grade out of it in the end

What are you specifically struggling with?

My best advice would be for the language papers, revise the vocabulary and tenses so many times that you can see it in your sleep. Even if you don't understand some of the grammar you can still piece the vocabulary and tenses together to form sentences.

is there another teacher you can go see if you need help? you can't really find resources online for GCSE latin so its best to go to someone first hand, even if it is just someone in your class.

Best of luck!
namkeen-kuthi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Language is 50% of the marks if you’re doing OCR
as the user said above, vocab and tenses are the most important thing! Quizlet is honestly so worth using for vocab and just gotta sit and learnt the declensions etc

As for the texts... revise them everyday just read it and write the bits where you get stuck on

Good luck!!
elizamunday02
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I’m doing OCR Latin GCSE in May too. I’m doing Aeneid Books 4 and 6 and also the Literature and Culture paper. I have to confess that I haven’t spent half as much time on Latin as on my other subjects so I’m a bit worried about it. I’m home educated and I’m not really sure what I have to talk about for the stylistic features in the essays... If anyone has any advice that would be REALLY helpful
fizzy_lizzy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hopefully this is some use to people! I’m doing my Latin gcse this year as well and revision wise I’ve:
- recorded my set texts (Aeneas book 4/6 and the druids) on my phone and just listen to them whenever I have a free 10 mins
- annotated my set texts with techniques (at some point if I ever get past procrastination I’m going to summarise these onto flash cards)
- For the language paper I’m just doing practice comprehension every 4 days or so
- I’ve made a flash card of person-endings (only present tense though) which i try to remember to write on the exam so I can come back to it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
elizamunday02
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by fizzy_lizzy)
Hopefully this is some use to people! I’m doing my Latin gcse this year as well and revision wise I’ve:
- recorded my set texts (Aeneas book 4/6 and the druids) on my phone and just listen to them whenever I have a free 10 mins
- annotated my set texts with techniques (at some point if I ever get past procrastination I’m going to summarise these onto flash cards)
- For the language paper I’m just doing practice comprehension every 4 days or so
- I’ve made a flash card of person-endings (only present tense though) which i try to remember to write on the exam so I can come back to it
This is the most helpful revision advice I’ve seen so far!! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m really confused as to what techniques I’m supposed to look for in the set texts (Im doing the same Aeneid books) as I’m home educated and don’t have anyone to ask...
ThunderBeard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by elizamunday02)
This is the most helpful revision advice I’ve seen so far!! Thank you so much for sharing! I’m really confused as to what techniques I’m supposed to look for in the set texts (Im doing the same Aeneid books) as I’m home educated and don’t have anyone to ask...
Basically English literature. You know, the similes eg. Bacchante, assonance eg. Corpus cumulum. So for the 8 marker pick them all out and do a small explanation. Use Latin as evidence (and always translate it!).
For the 10 marker, use quotes but you don’t need the Latin- so directly English. Here, it’s more waffle than anything, no analysis of language,
Eg if the question is about if Aeneas is treacherous you could speak about leaving silently and the effect but also that it is for his son and his father so he isn’t.
For language help, I’d advise going through a comprehesion and making a “commentary”- so all the features. Use your book and try and identify what each of those are.
Katiewright.__
Rep:
?
Thank you so much everyone who has helped, the only thing in really left puzzled with is all the declensions, I have a textbook which is about grammar and has them in but there’s so many different tenses and declensions etc and I’m finding it really hard to break down, e.g I’ve gone through some past papers after learning vocab but couldn’t translate it because of the endings and it really confused me, any advice?
ThunderBeard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Katiewright.__)
Thank you so much everyone who has helped, the only thing in really left puzzled with is all the declensions, I have a textbook which is about grammar and has them in but there’s so many different tenses and declensions etc and I’m finding it really hard to break down, e.g I’ve gone through some past papers after learning vocab but couldn’t translate it because of the endings and it really confused me, any advice?
Nouns have declensions. Nouns also have genders.
There are 5 declensions, of which 3 are used predominantly used.
Declension 1 is
*Singular*
Nominative. A
Accusative. Am
Genitive. Ae
Dative. Ae
Ablative Ae

*Plural* is:
Nominative. Ae
Accusative. As
Genitive. Arum
Dative. Is
Ablative Is

These are the word endings, eg.
Ancillam orPuellis

These help identify the number and the type of word, known as cases:
Nominative is the subject
Accusative is the object
Genitive literally translates to “of the” so puellarum is of the girls.
Dative means to the. It implies something being done to something.
Ablative means in/by.

Adjectives have similar endings in accordance with their own gender but also with the case of the noun. It doesn’t always have to be the same but it usually is.

Verbs have voices and tenses eg present active:
O/m
S
T
Mus
Tis
Nt
These mean the subject is doing the verb such as the dog got the news.
Passive is the other way around, the verb is being done to the subject, the news was got by the dog. They have different endings too.
There are subjunctives which provide more info in certain ways.
Also Participles which are verbs that have become adjectives.
elizamunday02
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Basically English literature. You know, the similes eg. Bacchante, assonance eg. Corpus cumulum. So for the 8 marker pick them all out and do a small explanation. Use Latin as evidence (and always translate it!).
For the 10 marker, use quotes but you don’t need the Latin- so directly English. Here, it’s more waffle than anything, no analysis of language,
Eg if the question is about if Aeneas is treacherous you could speak about leaving silently and the effect but also that it is for his son and his father so he isn’t.
For language help, I’d advise going through a comprehesion and making a “commentary”- so all the features. Use your book and try and identify what each of those are.
You’ve just saved my entire Latin exam. I probably would have failed had I not known this. Thank you so so much!
Katiewright.__
Rep:
?
Thank you so much☺️I would have honestly failed without this help
Katiewright.__
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Nouns have declensions. Nouns also have genders.
There are 5 declensions, of which 3 are used predominantly used.
Declension 1 is
*Singular*
Nominative. A
Accusative. Am
Genitive. Ae
Dative. Ae
Ablative Ae

*Plural* is:
Nominative. Ae
Accusative. As
Genitive. Arum
Dative. Is
Ablative Is

These are the word endings, eg.
Ancillam orPuellis

These help identify the number and the type of word, known as cases:
Nominative is the subject
Accusative is the object
Genitive literally translates to “of the” so puellarum is of the girls.
Dative means to the. It implies something being done to something.
Ablative means in/by.

Adjectives have similar endings in accordance with their own gender but also with the case of the noun. It doesn’t always have to be the same but it usually is.

Verbs have voices and tenses eg present active:
O/m
S
T
Mus
Tis
Nt
These mean the subject is doing the verb such as the dog got the news.
Passive is the other way around, the verb is being done to the subject, the news was got by the dog. They have different endings too.
There are subjunctives which provide more info in certain ways.
Also Participles which are verbs that have become adjectives.
Thank you soooooo much, I really appreciate your help because now I can actually understand what’s going on😂
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (454)
38.06%
No - but I will (89)
7.46%
No - I don't want to (83)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (567)
47.53%

Watched Threads