Which are the best film schools in UK? What should I choose?

Watch
LukeWalkskyer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone,
I'm a german film studies student currently living and studying in Vienna.

I'm planning to begin my Master's in UK this year in a more practical postgraduate course.
I have applied to several UK universities and already got some offers. I mostly applied to universities outside of London due to the high living costs there, which I probalby won't be able to afford.

I have received offers from:
Arts University Bournemouth (MA Film Practice)
Edinburgh Napier University (MA Film, Editing)
University of Bedfordshire (MA Creative Digital Film Production)
University of the Creative Arts (MA Filmmaking)

I am still very undecided. Bournemouth seems to have a good reputation on the job market but the reviews are kind of mixed and there is obviously a lot of self study. Napier seems to be very practice orientated and on a industry level, but unfortunately I would have preferred to get into the driecting class. I don't really know much about Bedfordshire, but it seems to be a very small university. The University of the Creative Arts is obviously a very new school but it seems to have already good reputation despite the fact that it's the most expensive one of the above listed.

Does anyone have any experiences with these universities? Especially Bournemouth, since they have very good technical facilities, but I'm not sure if lecutres two days a week is too less eduaction for around 8000 € a year.

Also do you know any other (better?) schools where I could apply outside of London?
I would really like to get into the british film industry, since I've worked in Film and TV in Germany/Austria and here this branch is admittedly very limited, as are the job expectations.

Many thanks in advance!
schnauz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by LukeWalkskyer)
Hello everyone,
I'm a german film studies student currently living and studying in Vienna.

I'm planning to begin my Master's in UK this year in a more practical postgraduate course.
I have applied to several UK universities and already got some offers. I mostly applied to universities outside of London due to the high living costs there, which I probalby won't be able to afford.

I have received offers from:
Arts University Bournemouth (MA Film Practice)
Edinburgh Napier University (MA Film, Editing)
University of Bedfordshire (MA Creative Digital Film Production)
University of the Creative Arts (MA Filmmaking)

I am still very undecided. Bournemouth seems to have a good reputation on the job market but the reviews are kind of mixed and there is obviously a lot of self study. Napier seems to be very practice orientated and on a industry level, but unfortunately I would have preferred to get into the driecting class. I don't really know much about Bedfordshire, but it seems to be a very small university. The University of the Creative Arts is obviously a very new school but it seems to have already good reputation despite the fact that it's the most expensive one of the above listed.

Does anyone have any experiences with these universities? Especially Bournemouth, since they have very good technical facilities, but I'm not sure if lecutres two days a week is too less eduaction for around 8000 € a year.

Also do you know any other (better?) schools where I could apply outside of London?
I would really like to get into the british film industry, since I've worked in Film and TV in Germany/Austria and here this branch is admittedly very limited, as are the job expectations.

Many thanks in advance!
Have you considered Salford? MediaCityUK - which hosts broadcasters like the BBC and ITV and various production companies - is next door to the uni. They have strong links to the industry and might be a great place to get experience, especially as the film industry is so hard to get into.

Don’t know about the actual courses but I’d have a look. And Salford’s waterfront is beautiful.
LukeWalkskyer
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by schnauz)
Have you considered Salford? MediaCityUK - which hosts broadcasters like the BBC and ITV and various production companies - is next door to the uni. They have strong links to the industry and might be a great place to get experience, especially as the film industry is so hard to get into.

Don’t know about the actual courses but I’d have a look. And Salford’s waterfront is beautiful.
Thanks for your help!
My focus is mainly in Film and not TV, so I though the technical facilities of Bournemouth are more helpful regarding that.
I have also received an offer from Edinburgh Napier for Editing and one offer from UCA.
It's still hard to decide. I want a Master course that really challenges me, where I'm getting pushed to achieve my goals and not getting left alone on "independent studies".
A hands-on practical course would be the best, but I'm not sure how that is going to be handled at AUB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads