The Student Room Group

Can't find a placement!

I've applied for around 40 placements so far and still haven't gotten anywhere, been to a couple of interviews but haven't been successful. (I study Business and received a 2:1 first year).

Anyone else in a similar situation or had previous experience with placement applications.

Loads of applications have already closed and not many more being opened. Is it too late?

Debating whether or not to take a year out if I don't get a placement.
Original post by Tom079
I've applied for around 40 placements so far and still haven't gotten anywhere, been to a couple of interviews but haven't been successful. (I study Business and received a 2:1 first year).

Anyone else in a similar situation or had previous experience with placement applications.

Loads of applications have already closed and not many more being opened. Is it too late?

Debating whether or not to take a year out if I don't get a placement.

Did you get any feedback from your rejected placements?
Reply 2
I only got feedback from 2 rejected applications. One saying that they simply had too many applicants and another saying I didn't have the appropriate skills they were looking for, so neither were of much use
Original post by cheesecakelove
Did you get any feedback from your rejected placements?
I would say it's a bit late unfortunately. Best chance is to go for small firms at this point, from my recollection most companies interviewed December/January and closed for applications by end of January. That being said you only need one company give you an interview and take you in if you're lucky. Use all available resources like indeed/linkedin/monster etc. search year in industry/industrial placement/sandwich year. Filter it by new jobs posted in the last 21 days that will give you more of a chance as they posted it recently.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tom079
I only got feedback from 2 rejected applications. One saying that they simply had too many applicants and another saying I didn't have the appropriate skills they were looking for, so neither were of much use

There are fewer placements around because of B-----. You could just start Year 3?
I'm in second year so was also applying for placements this year but most the deadlines were in October/November so you've missed most of them.

I'm not sure what uni you're at (unfortunately firms care about this) but have you been to see the careers office. You could also try looking for local placements so those around your uni or hometown.

I got pretty lucky with some of my offers but as stated above, you need to be looking through stuff like indeed and linkedin ect.

You could also look for summer internships because then you'll still have experience when applying for grad jobs.

Quick Reply