Can I apply to Uni without UCAS points?

Watch
Torment1994
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm hoping to go to Uni next year as a mature student. I've been doing an access course (working intensely at every possible moment, as well as working full time) and have just received a letter as they're discontinuing my course!

I am able to get into Uni with a Foundation year, but feel I don't need the Foundation year as I have been working for 5 years in education as it is, and also have good life experience- living abroad, having stories published, being fluent in a different language etc...

I just want to know if it's possible to apply (and if I do it through UCAS) for a course, without the Foundation year, having just GCSE and a few AS levels (not enough to get me my required 90 UCAS points)?

If I do stand a chance, then I will put an application in just in case.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Torment1994)
I'm hoping to go to Uni next year as a mature student. I've been doing an access course (working intensely at every possible moment, as well as working full time) and have just received a letter as they're discontinuing my course!

I am able to get into Uni with a Foundation year, but feel I don't need the Foundation year as I have been working for 5 years in education as it is, and also have good life experience- living abroad, having stories published, being fluent in a different language etc...

I just want to know if it's possible to apply (and if I do it through UCAS) for a course, without the Foundation year, having just GCSE and a few AS levels (not enough to get me my required 90 UCAS points)?

Having good life experience doesn't get you into uni.
You need the grades and to meet the entrance requirements
Is the access course not sufficient to get you into uni? I assume the course will discontinue once you finish it?

Contact the unis in case but I'd be surprised
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 1 year ago

No, you don't need UCAS points to go to uni. But you will need to meet university entry requirements, and it's extremely unlikely that GCSEs and AS levels will be enough for entry.

I'm confused, how can your Access course be discontinued if you're currently doing it - when did you start it? What has your college/education provider actually said?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
First of all, Access courses now have a UCAS equivalent, so you would have built up some UCAS points.

It's best to look at individual uni's as not all of them accept access courses as the A-level equivalent but a large number of them do. I was also in the same situation; completed an access course, only had a few AS levels but I'm now studying my first year of law without a foundation year.

But yeah, do some research into entry requirements for uni's you might be interested in, they may accept it without the extra year.
Torment1994
Rep:
?
The admissions team do say that the life experience and statements can be enough to get you into uni, as not everyone has the qualifications (e.g the older generation). I can get into Uni without the qualifications and will be put on a Foundation year, but I don't necessarily want to do the Foundation year as I have already covered the topics in my Access course. UCAS have said I can make an application however I just want to know if others have done it, and if others have had the difficulty with choosing between the two courses.

My Access course would have been enough to get me into Uni without question, but they are discontinuing in November, and I wasn't supposed to finish it until March next year. This would mean I would need to start all over again, with another course, and spend another year on it and it'd mean I'd miss the deadline for Uni application anyway. - This is why I'm now exhausting all over options.
Speckleification
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im a mature student and didn't have 90 points either but got a place on a course starting in September so it can be done. The big universities wouldn't even give me a chance but the smaller ones gave me a chance to evidence that I had the potential to flourish. Things like a solid personal statement, good references and knowing the subject matter I wanted to study helped them see past that. I also contacted Universities I was interested in before hand and spoke to course tutors about their requirements, in my case I could evidence that I had life experience in the field I was interested in studying and that for them helped bring my score up overall.

Good luck with it!
Torment1994
Rep:
?
They have said that if I feel I can finish the course early in November, I can work until then, as they will discontinue it in December, along with funding. I'm fuming as you can imagine, as I've committed so much time and energy into it. I started in Jan and my end date was March next year. I only received the news today and they have a high level of calls so haven't responded to my queries yet. I would assume a refund too as it was 4.5k!
Torment1994
Rep:
?
This is exactly what I want to hear! Thank you! Can I ask if you applied via UCAS? I'm not entirely sure on how to go about it. It will be for 2020 so I'm not sure when I would know by?

Thanks!
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
My Access course would have been enough to get me into Uni without question, but they are discontinuing in November, and I wasn't supposed to finish it until March next year. This would mean I would need to start all over again, with another course, and spend another year on it and it'd mean I'd miss the deadline for Uni application anyway. - This is why I'm now exhausting all over options.
Where are you doing your Access course? That does not sound right.
Speckleification
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is exactly what I want to hear! Thank you! Can I ask if you applied via UCAS? I'm not entirely sure on how to go about it. It will be for 2020 so I'm not sure when I would know by?

Thanks!
all done via UCAS, there's some really helpful stuff videos and articles on the UCAS website that helped me alot, also asking questions here too.

the first thing I did before UCAS was to work out what course I wanted to do and speak to tutors to ensure that they would accept someone with a low score, once I'd done that I then did the UCAS and got an interview and heard 2 months later, I also kept in contact with course tutors during that time - be prepared for lots of them to say No straight away and some just don't have the time of day for someone without the grades but there will be some ready to give you a chance it just might take a while to find them. I started looking at courses in June last year and put my application in in September, I could have started last year on clearing but I wasn't ready to move that quickly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (317)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.59%

Watched Threads