Help needed! driving pressure Watch

scottlawrie88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am 30 years old and have been learning to drive now for 11 months, but had about 2 months off all in all due to wedding/honeymoon and Christmas period. Wish i had learned to drive when i was younger when I may have been more confident and eager but now i am financially stable. I have my test booked for 7 weeks time and that just terrifies me. There is nothing I want more than to not have to have anymore driving lessons and have my licence. The issue is and continues to be that I hate my driving lessons that once I have one, I am on countdown to my next one. They make me feel sick, feel full of worry and have a growing pressure to perform to such a high level. A slight mistake made will make me dwell on it all week, beating myself up and putting so much pressure on myself. I have been in some horrible, dark places since learning to drive but giving up is not an option as I don't want my wife to be the only one to drive everywhere for the rest of our lives. Especially if we have our own family.. Please tell me I am not the only one living this 'hell' :-(
oakroys
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by scottlawrie88)
I am 30 years old and have been learning to drive now for 11 months, but had about 2 months off all in all due to wedding/honeymoon and Christmas period. Wish i had learned to drive when i was younger when I may have been more confident and eager but now i am financially stable. I have my test booked for 7 weeks time and that just terrifies me. There is nothing I want more than to not have to have anymore driving lessons and have my licence. The issue is and continues to be that I hate my driving lessons that once I have one, I am on countdown to my next one. They make me feel sick, feel full of worry and have a growing pressure to perform to such a high level. A slight mistake made will make me dwell on it all week, beating myself up and putting so much pressure on myself. I have been in some horrible, dark places since learning to drive but giving up is not an option as I don't want my wife to be the only one to drive everywhere for the rest of our lives. Especially if we have our own family.. Please tell me I am not the only one living this 'hell' :-(
I'm with you, mate. Don't put pressure on yourself. It's a process. The nerves will pass and the mistakes will become more infrequent as you get more experience behind the wheel. I failed a couple of times & hope to restart this summer.
scottlawrie88
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Cheers bro (Y) I have a lesson in 3.5hrs and all I am feeling is anxiousness and feeling sick, haha, it can't be healthy. I am trying to chill out more and think, well this cant be a matter of life or death so does it really matter!? I just don't do well with a perceived pressure and knowing somebody is there correcting my attempts and the feeling of being inadequate just takes over and consumes all my energy! aaaaargh! Good luck for when you start back up mate. All the best.
oakroys
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Do you suffer from anxiety? It might be worthwhile to try and get some support for that. I do, and it's been helpful. Best of luck. I'm sure you'll smash it out of the park.
(Original post by scottlawrie88)
Cheers bro (Y) I have a lesson in 3.5hrs and all I am feeling is anxiousness and feeling sick, haha, it can't be healthy. I am trying to chill out more and think, well this cant be a matter of life or death so does it really matter!? I just don't do well with a perceived pressure and knowing somebody is there correcting my attempts and the feeling of being inadequate just takes over and consumes all my energy! aaaaargh! Good luck for when you start back up mate. All the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.42%
No - but I will (42)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed