Nottingham vs Sheffield vs Exeter for Law Watch

skullcandy999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Which one's the best? Purely reputation wise as I intend to become a barrister.
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seriously, this has to be the 10th Exeter vs. Nottingham thread I’ve seen this year and I was one of them making this decision 😂

After much deliberation, I chose Exeter over Nottingham but that’s because I preferred the campus and vibe over Notts, although both are excellent. Don’t know a lot about Sheffield but it’s a good uni.

You say purely reputation wise but look at other factors and which you’d rather study at; unless it’s a regional firm based in that area, no employer will care if you went to Exeter over Nottingham or vice versa because in terms of reputation there’s virtually no difference. You can become a barrister through going to any of the three.

Go to the one you prefer the feel of and would rather study at without getting bogged down in a reputation debate when there’s essentially no difference.
Last edited by Arisapo; 1 week ago
ChemistryGuy1998
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Purely on reputation its:

1. Nottingham
2. Exeter
3. Sheffield
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ChemistryGuy1998)
Purely on reputation its:

1. Nottingham
2. Exeter
3. Sheffield
Think that’s a bit misleading though unless you’re simply concerned with reputation and nothing else.

I mean, I firmed Exeter over Nottingham and reputationally I don’t think there’s much of a difference between them for law; even if there is, it’s extremely negligible.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
Think that’s a bit misleading though unless you’re simply concerned with reputation and nothing else.

I mean, I firmed Exeter over Nottingham and reputationally I don’t think there’s much of a difference between them for law; even if there is, it’s extremely negligible.
OP asked about reputation, so I gave him the ranking according to Law School reputation.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP asked about reputation, so I gave him the ranking according to Law School reputation.
But in another thread you linked Chambers Secret.

While it’s interesting, if you think it’s an accurate representation of reputation that’s pretty concerning.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But in another thread you linked Chambers Secret.

While it’s interesting, if you think it’s an accurate representation of reputation that’s pretty concerning.
Even without Chambers, Nottingham trumps Exeter by a long way aha
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Even without Chambers, Nottingham trumps Exeter by a long way aha
“By a long way” - shows you how misinformed you are there. I chose Exeter over Notts and there’s barely anything in it.
skullcandy999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks a lot for the replies you both. It seems like Nottingham and Exeter are kind of at par in Law, but Sheffield is the least reputable right?
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by skullcandy999)
Thanks a lot for the replies you both. It seems like Nottingham and Exeter are kind of at par in Law, but Sheffield is the least reputable right?
I wouldn’t say Sheffield is bad and it’s a good university but probably not as strong as the other two. You could certainly become a barrister from there I’d imagine.

And despite what he said about Notts being better “than a long way”, that’s completely wrong and shows how little he knows.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn’t say Sheffield is bad and it’s a good university but probably not as strong as the other two. You could certainly become a barrister from there I’d imagine.

And despite what he said about Notts being better “than a long way”, that’s completely wrong and shows how little he knows.
It is better mate, I could not care less if you chose Exeter over Nottingham, just because you chose it does not mean that you have to entice someone else to do it. You've made your choice on your preference, however OP asked for choice based on reputation which is Nottingham over Exeter.

You are an A-level student and I am an Undergraduate. I see far more Nottingham students at Law Schemes than Exeter Students.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is better mate, I could not care less if you chose Exeter over Nottingham, just because you chose it does not mean that you have to entice someone else to do it. You've made your choice on your preference, however OP asked for choice based on reputation which is Nottingham over Exeter.

You are an A-level student and I am an Undergraduate. I see far more Nottingham students at Law Schemes than Exeter Students.
You know better than the A-Level student, but also know better than grads and law recruiters.
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/wh...d-universities

im not a law student, and i know a lot of people dislike the info Chambers put out but it's the only thing i know like it.
Here basically says: Notts, Exeter, Sheffield
(Original post by skullcandy999)
Which one's the best? Purely reputation wise as I intend to become a barrister.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
You know better than the A-Level student, but also know better than grads and law recruiters.
haha good one!
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
haha good one!
It is better but the difference is so negligible that no employer will really care.

Exactly, you’re an undergraduate, think you know less than recruiters so stay in your own lane, especially as you’re probably studying chemistry at Keele or something.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Clearly haven't looked through my old posts as I see you're a newcomer. Law undergrad at Durham.

I'd kill myself if I ended up at Keele, mind you probably would hurt myself if I went to Exeter as well.
Oh Durham, the awful, self-entitled attitude makes sense now.

Didn’t you hurt yourself enough over your Oxbridge rejection?
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh Durham, the awful, self-entitled attitude makes sense now.

Didn’t you hurt yourself enough over your Oxbridge rejection?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5847224

I think this speaks volumes.
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Oh wow, reverted to the stalking tactic.

Well done though, you must be so proud you’re at Durham. If I’d gone there, it would have been without the elitist, up my own arse attitude.

And I ask again, how did the Oxbridge rejection go?
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

And I’ve seen you refer to Chambers Secret, anything you say is invalid.

You probably used it to pick your university choices. Birmingham is a better uni than LSE because it ranks higher on Chambers Secret everyone.
ChemistryGuy1998
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And I’ve seen you refer to Chambers Secret, anything you say is invalid.

You probably used it to pick your university choices. Birmingham is a better uni than LSE because it ranks higher on Chambers Secret everyone.
Okay buddy, good luck getting a TC at Exeter!
Oh wow, reverted to the stalking tactic.

Well done though, you must be so proud you’re at Durham. If I’d gone there, it would have been without the elitist, up my own arse attitude.

And I ask again, how did the Oxbridge rejection go?
Not sure how its stalking when your thread was posted not too long ago at all and I remember looking through it.

At least I actually applied to Oxbridge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (366)
37.31%
No - but I will (74)
7.54%
No - I don't want to (69)
7.03%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (472)
48.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed