Would Southampton let me in with lower grades?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have an offer of ABB (with A in EPQ) for Crim and Psych. I already have the A in EPQ.

In my last mocks, I got A*A*D (psychology, sociology and biology). I honestly struggle so much with biology and would be lucky to get a C.

Is there any chance I could get in if I did well in 2 subjects, but completely f****d biology?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Criminalis)
I have an offer of ABB (with A in EPQ) for Crim and Psych. I already have the A in EPQ.

In my last mocks, I got A*A*D (psychology, sociology and biology). I honestly struggle so much with biology and would be lucky to get a C.

Is there any chance I could get in if I did well in 2 subjects, but completely f****d biology?
There's a chance Southampton will be flexible on results day, especially if the D could be improved to a C. Do you have a good Insurance choice also?
Criminalis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
There's a chance Southampton will be flexible on results day, especially if the D could be improved to a C. Do you have a good Insurance choice also?
My other option is 120 UCAS points, or unconditional if I firm.. but I can't decide whether it's worth the stress of trying for Southampton or not
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

There's always a chance, but no-one can predict what will happen on results day. I agree that improving the D to at least a C will definitely help. It depends a lot on how many other applicants there are, how many of them achieve their offers and how many insurance choice students end up going to Southampton. The course may end up being full or the uni may also think they can pick stronger students up in clearing, so there are no guarantees.

Do be aware that mocks aren't always the most accurate predictor of what you will get in your exams, so I wouldn't assume you will get A*A*D as your final results. Us the time you've got to focus on pulling your biology grade up if you can!
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My other option is 120 UCAS points, or unconditional if I firm.. but I can't decide whether it's worth the stress of trying for Southampton or not
Where's the Uni (if you don't mind saying) and what's the subject?

I'm just trying to work out whether the risk seems worth it
Afterlife?
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can just call up the admissions person and ask say if you got less than ABB would they still let you in and they would have a pretty good idea since they can see what happened every year before so they can predict what would happen this year.
art_psych
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, sorry to bring up this post again after a year but I just want to know if you got into Southampton? I'm in a situation that's a bit similar to yours where I'm worried that I won't get a decent bio grade despite doing quite well in my EPQ and other two subjects.
Btw, I'm hoping to do Psych this year in Southampton
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.12%
No - I have already returned home (23)
13.86%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.29%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.04%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
24.7%

Watched Threads