The Student Room Group

Should I mention break in studies in my PS?

Hi!

So bit of backstory; I studied for 3 years at Leicester University but dropped out in the 3rd year due to extreme stress. After approx 3 years I decided to finish my degree with the OU, earning a first class degree. I am now in the process of applying for Masters courses but am struggling a little with my personal statement.

My question is; should I touch upon my break in studies or should I steer clear? I have no problem talking about it or explaining the situation to them, but I’m not sure if it’s the kind of thing that should be mentioned in a personal statement, or if I should leave it for them to ask me in the event of an interview.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Millie
Reply 1
Hi. Well done on getting that far, i'm second year & don't know why you dropped out of 3rd year - so take this advice accordingly.

Personally I wouldn't mention it.

If you did mention it, you'd have to explain the reason why you dropped out - stress - unfortunately that COULD be perceived as a lesser ability to manage difficult situations (assuming it was general life & course troubles), you could swing it back around and say you overcame this and ultimately succeeded which shows determination etc

If the stress was a family death or something, then it might put a depressing note on your PS.

Generally I would say that your PS should be positive and concise, talk about your achievements/aspirations, your qualities and the ones you want to develop, explain why you picked that course and why you want to be there, add in that your social, like new experiences, up for challenges - bit about your hobbies (make them reflect a positive light on you, dont mention how you like to watch Youtube all day, say you like photography and visiting new places - my fave thing to capture is nature & wildlife) <--- 100% not true but you have an image of me being peaceful and having attention to detail.

There's an argument for including it, but I would say that it would be something they'd ask you in an interview afterwards, assuming they even notice it LOL

edit: you dont have to be time specific, i,e, if your talking about your uni experience you dont need to mention the gap, just talk about it as the whole 3 years together, 'My time at uni taught me deadlines...' and when you talk about something you did in the 3 year gap, i.e. work, just talk generally, 'my time spent working at X company taught me teamwork'
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Mason

Thanks so much for the reply! I think I agree with you about not mentioning it. Like you say it might sound a bit negative, and also I don’t want to waffle. I’m setting myself a limit of about 500 words and think if I start going into the break in studies it might take up space that could be used more wisely on other areas. Hopefully they will see that I have resumed my studies and achieved a result that I’m really proud of.

Thanks for your advice :-)

Millie
Masters courses will have their own requirements. If you are concerned about your gap in education, your referee could mention it, but I don't think it matters too much
Reply 4
I wouldn't include it - your PS is a chance to sell yourself and talk about how you are suited to that course. Your referee can write any extenuating circumstances etc. Use the word count to talk about why they should pick you for the course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending