Which degrees would you consider as useless?

Watch
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
In terms of job prospects and pay
username3128778
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
humanity subjects at lower ranked universities but pay is good if you go to high ranked uni because its competitive!!
Afterlife?
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
yea basically any non-garanteed-a-job fields like medicine at a <40-50 ranked unis
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Art degrees, a lot of them are so nichè there doesn't seem much by way of a stable job. There's always commission work but there doesn't seem much security in that.

I kinda wanna say those that are largely oversubscribed too, although they can teach you valuable skills they're so competitive that only a small few would end up making it worth it. Im thinking the same about my law degree rn but I think it's just my lack of motivation that always seems to come around exam season.
Hammad(214508)
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
non STEM 😂
therandomperson
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm currently doing a Computer Science undergraduate Mcomp at a very low ranked university (Keele) how f**ked am I?
username2427341
Rep:
?
I was deciding on doing psychology, but the chances of getting a job with psychology is so low
Snagglepup
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by therandomperson)
I'm currently doing a Computer Science undergraduate Mcomp at a very low ranked university (Keele) how f**ked am I?
around fifty isn't that low
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by *Alisha*)
I was deciding on doing psychology, but the chances of getting a job with psychology is so low
This is incorrect.
Wooord
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I’ve already got offers for psychology but have realized how competitive it really is
marinade
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Engineering, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer science, biomedical science, health science, forensic science, sport science, media studies and film studies.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Biochemistry and Chemistry
ThatJosh
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Liberal Arts and some Media course students seem to struggle to get jobs, but that could just be a perception thing. I'm sure no degree is truly *worthless* unless you don't bother to apply it.
Snagglepup
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In terms of job opportunity's etc. I'd say any degree that's too vague or general, and from university with no links to industry, I get an email every month or two from my uni about company's looking for people to hire from courses etc. which seems pretty usefull
marinade
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ThatJosh)
Liberal Arts and some Media course students seem to struggle to get jobs, but that could just be a perception thing. I'm sure no degree is truly *worthless* unless you don't bother to apply it.
Media studies is an interesting course, and I'm not convinced it's any less rigorous to be a journalist/media job than politics, history or English, but it's oversaturated and got this reputation that sticks to it like glue.
ThatJosh
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by marinade)
Media studies is an interesting course, and I'm not convinced it's any less rigorous to be a journalist/media job than politics, history or English, but it's oversaturated and got this reputation that sticks to it like glue.
That seems like a fair description to me. So, not *useless*, but a bit harder to get jobs compared to STEM subjects I guess.
username2427341
Rep:
?
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
This is incorrect.
Its a very competitive field especially if you want a career in clinical psychology
username2427341
Rep:
?
(Original post by marinade)
Engineering, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computer science, biomedical science, health science, forensic science, sport science, media studies and film studies.

Agreed 😂
username2427341
Rep:
?
Do you think sociology is a useless degree? if I want to get into teaching?
Snagglepup
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do you think sociology is a useless degree? if I want to get into teaching?
if you want to teach sociology then no
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads