Littleteacher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m a single parent of one, and receive universal credit that covers rent etc. I’m starting a PGCE in September for English, and from now until then will be doing a SKE course whilst also volunteering part time at a school. I’m basically wondering how the £800 per month bursary will affect my universal credit. Will I be worse off and is there anybody who has experience having the bursary whilst also claiming UC?Thanks in advance (:
Last edited by Littleteacher; 1 year ago
Sceptical_John
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi

You're probably better off consulting the gov website than getting answrs on here is these are never simple answers

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universa...t-and-students
Littleteacher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey,

I’ve searched that site and a few others, and also spoken to them on the phone. Nobody seems to be able to say for definite whether the bursary is counted as income or not / whether it affects UC and if so by how much. So was hoping to run someone with experience with this (:

Thanks
(Original post by Sceptical_John)
Hi

You're probably better off consulting the gov website than getting answrs on here is these are never simple answers

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universa...t-and-students
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Littleteacher)
Hey,

I’ve searched that site and a few others, and also spoken to them on the phone. Nobody seems to be able to say for definite whether the bursary is counted as income or not / whether it affects UC and if so by how much. So was hoping to run someone with experience with this (:

Thanks
I think this issue has come up before on TSR, and unfortunately universal credit is new enough that people don't really know the answer yet.

My understanding is that student income can be counted as income for universal credit, and your universal credit reduced in line with this- but you wouldn't be any worse off, just part of your income would be coming from a different source.

I would assume that the SKE would be seen as a part time course, so you may still have to be available for part time work- unless there's another reason this wouldn't apply to you.

These are just my best guesses, but I'm almost 100% certain that you wouldn't be any worse off. If/when you find out the answer, do come back and update us!
Traintoteach22
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey did you manage to get the answer for this from UC Little teacher?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you feel comfortable going back to school on March 8th?

Yes (351)
31.54%
No (762)
68.46%

Watched Threads