Can Boys and Girls be JUST friends? Watch

TSRFT8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?
DrawTheLine
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?
Yes they can be.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've had countless female friends over the years who I never even considered taking things further with.
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if neither of them are attracted to the other, then yes.
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Yes they can be.
Interesting - I held the same view but now my opinion is of the contrary.

Can they still be friends if she is in a relationship and he does not know? Maybe if one likes the other but is scared to say?
CoolCavy
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yes.
Minxel
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think they can be yes as I had a guy friend in college and it was totally platonic. We were both single so we could have dated each other if we wanted and we had a laugh all the time and stuff but neither of us fancied the other. It was purely friendship
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
if neither of them are attracted to the other, then yes.
So what if I said, the guy is in a relationship but tells the girl some problems within his current gf and she over times becomes a shoulder to lean on and sees her as a better option?

What if they are meeting up and the boyfriend/girlfriend of one or both is not present? Surely over time you will end up developing feelings if it matures maybe over a year or 10 but sometime during it one will surely fall for the other
DrawTheLine
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Interesting - I held the same view but now my opinion is of the contrary.

Can they still be friends if she is in a relationship and he does not know? Maybe if one likes the other but is scared to say?
Why do either of them have to like each other romantically?
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yeah, ever heard of siblings???
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It would clearly depend on the people in question. There's no right answer to this.

I mean sure, it's possible to develop feelings for someone when you're really close but some friends are simply just that.
Palmyra
Badges: 17
Report 1 week ago
Not always, but yes, 'tis possible.
byeongkwans
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would’ve said yes, and honestly it’s nice when you can JUST be friends. However, some of the experiences I’ve had with my male friends recently make me think otherwise. I think it’s possible but you need to have really good boundaries in place and not become emotionally reliant on them (which I learned the hard way).
RoyalSheepy
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
yeah, ever heard of siblings???
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by byeongkwans)
I would’ve said yes, and honestly it’s nice when you can JUST be friends. However, some of the experiences I’ve had with my male friends recently make me think otherwise. I think it’s possible but you need to have really good boundaries in place and not become emotionally reliant on them (which I learned the hard way).
This is interesting. I watched a few "experiments" per say (yes, wild Friday night, I know!) and the girls were usually under the impression the guys were just wanting friendships, but when the same question was posed to the boys, they all said how they would date, or would have sex, IF the girl offered. Meaning, yes, they are friends but the attraction is always there.

I dont like to say ALL friendships are like this, but I would be stupid to presume that every friendship between a boy and girl is platonic.

I had a girl bestfriend we were friends for like 5 years+ and she was always joking about how she will find me the perfect girl etc etc and then when I got a girlfriend she cried and got upset, of course, I probably would have felt the same. We were always scared to break the friendship boundaries UNTIL the other one did.
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Why do either of them have to like each other romantically?
Unless they are gay or one is gay then I guess there will never be that attraction, but I seriously do believe that if they are both straight or both gay then OVER TIME they will catch feelings, its natural, its human. How many friendships have lasted between boys and girls where one has gt a partner and not once have they crossed the boundary? I would guess not many, if any at all.
DrawTheLine
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Unless they are gay or one is gay then I guess there will never be that attraction, but I seriously do believe that if they are both straight or both gay then OVER TIME they will catch feelings, its natural, its human. How many friendships have lasted between boys and girls where one has gt a partner and not once have they crossed the boundary? I would guess not many, if any at all.
I disagree. Just because you're attracted to a certain gender doesn't mean you'll inevitably want to be with every person you know of that gender. I've been friends with many guys for years and never once thought of them in a romantic way.
byeongkwans
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is interesting. I watched a few "experiments" per say (yes, wild Friday night, I know!) and the girls were usually under the impression the guys were just wanting friendships, but when the same question was posed to the boys, they all said how they would date, or would have sex, IF the girl offered. Meaning, yes, they are friends but the attraction is always there.

I dont like to say ALL friendships are like this, but I would be stupid to presume that every friendship between a boy and girl is platonic.

I had a girl bestfriend we were friends for like 5 years+ and she was always joking about how she will find me the perfect girl etc etc and then when I got a girlfriend she cried and got upset, of course, I probably would have felt the same. We were always scared to break the friendship boundaries UNTIL the other one did.
It’s strange how that happens but it’s quite common I guess. That’s true, sometimes attraction or past attraction can complicate things. Ah that’s sad, but she should’ve been a bit clearer about how she felt.

My experience is a bit complicated I guess. I developed a crush on my guy best friend when we were like 15 and he rejected me, but I moved on and we still stayed good friends. I got over any romantic feelings and stopped seeing him like that all together but like years later he was treating me very differently and dropped a lot of hints. I was pretty oblivious to them because I always assumed he’d never see me like that? Our friendship was pretty unhealthy looking back on it though. He got VERY jealous and manipulative when I ended up getting into a relationship. He did a lot to guilt trip me and overstepped a lot of boundaries which sucks because I really valued his friendship.

However I had another close male friend who was the opposite, he was a really really good, genuine friend. There was underlying attraction and some mixed signals there but I wouldn’t want to date him tbh. Some stuff happened and I kinda made it clear that I wouldn’t be interested in him romantically and now it’s awkward between us too.

Life would be so much easier if you could just maintain friendships without developing deeper feelings for each other at some point.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, but there is a tendency for available people of the opposite sex to develop tumescence over the other.
shellop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
of course...

...plenty of gay guys and women are friends
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.29%

Watched Threads