Can Boys and Girls be JUST friends? Watch

TSRFT8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have yet to know of any friendship between a male and female that has not fizzled out or caused complications after one or both have gotten into a relationship.
(Original post by ohdahnnyboi)
yes, ofc, why not. they can be more than that, they can be just that, whatever, it's not impossible. why does everyone think that nowadays?
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yes, ofc, why not. they can be more than that, they can be just that, whatever, it's not impossible. why does everyone think that nowadays?
When a straight male and straight female get really close, there's always the chance of one of them starting to fall for the other. Biology or something, fook knows😂 Also, I suppose sometimes the feeling becomes mutual, best case scenario for those geezers then innit
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scottishflavour
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's happened to me so often
ohdahnnyboi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
I have yet to know of any friendship between a male and female that has not fizzled out or caused complications after one or both have gotten into a relationship.
i have guy friends who i would never date and vice versa - just yek, no (no offense, but ykwim)
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
When a straight male and straight female get really close, there's always the chance of one of them starting to fall for the other. Biology or something, fook knows😂 Also, I suppose sometimes the feeling becomes mutual, best case scenario for those geezers then innit
see above
Scottishflavour
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do the guys fancy you tho?
i have guy friends who i would never date and vice versa - just yek, no (no offense, but ykwim)

see above
C
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
Took the words right out of my mouth. Bet she never thought the other way round.

(Original post by Scottishflavour)

C
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by shameful_burrito)
It is quite literally natural, I find it unbelievable how many people are so far past reality.

Might be I am too old, who knows.
ohdahnnyboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

C
i said vice versa - means they wouldn't date me either, there is no attraction, we have such dead(or not) banter, and we've made it clear to each other there is nothing
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
see above
Yeah it's not impossible for a guy and a girl to feel purely platonic towards one another either lol
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ohdahnnyboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
that's what u think - go ahead but btw, i did - does no one know what vice versameans?
Took the words right out of my mouth. Bet she never thought the other way round.
Scottishflavour
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that's different then
i said vice versa - means they wouldn't date me either, there is no attraction, we have such dead(or not) banter, and we've made it clear to each other there is nothing
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes they can be despite being a Muslim and saying this
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course, obviously, if one or both of the parties are gay
An interesting debate I saw and one which is quite relevant in this day and age.

What is your HONEST opinion, can a boy and girl be just friends? What if one is single and the other is in a relationship, or both are in a relationship?
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Alisha*)
Yes they can be despite being a Muslim and saying this
That is really really interesting. The individual whose lecture (if you will) I watched was speaking from the Islamic perspective, as contact is strictly forbidden between non-mahrems (non family men??).

His opinion was very insightful - personally I cant see a male and female being strictly friends, yes maybe for a few months or even a year if they are both single it does make it slightly easier but when one is in a relationship I just think it is far-fetched.

If you dont mind me asking; how would you feel if your husband was messaging his girl best friend, or going out with her? In Islam it is strictly forbidden so I guess we are going beyond the simple social norms and into more strict boundaries which are made to protect the followers.
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Of course, obviously, if one or both of the parties are gay
This is the only situation where this would work. Anything else is just denial at its finest.
AdewumiSage
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes
ohdahnnyboi
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that's different then
not really? there was a guy i liked and i told him, and he rejected me, and we're just friends. others we just don't because we don't need to
it's not impossible
i'm not saying that there isn't the potential for something, but not always
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not so sure, throughout most of my life the vast majority of my friends have been male and I’ve never been with any of them nor have they expressed attraction to me
This is the only situation where this would work. Anything else is just denial at its finest.
username2427341
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is really really interesting. The individual whose lecture (if you will) I watched was speaking from the Islamic perspective, as contact is strictly forbidden between non-mahrems (non family men??).

His opinion was very insightful - personally I cant see a male and female being strictly friends, yes maybe for a few months or even a year if they are both single it does make it slightly easier but when one is in a relationship I just think it is far-fetched.

If you dont mind me asking; how would you feel if your husband was messaging his girl best friend, or going out with her? In Islam it is strictly forbidden so I guess we are going beyond the simple social norms and into more strict boundaries which are made to protect the followers.
Well if he loves me and I love him, there should be trust in our relationship. So I wouldn't mind if he was messaging a girl besides me or even going out with her, but I'd prefer him going out with his other friends and not just the girl alone lol
TSRFT8
Rep:
?
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
I’m not so sure, throughout most of my life the vast majority of my friends have been male and I’ve never been with any of them nor have they expressed attraction to me
I get what you are saying - however, usually this attraction is not expressed just due to the boundary of friendship, not because it is non-existent. I implore you to watch the social study, I will link it for you.

It explores how friends of different genders were asked if anything else COULD develop and 97% said yes, IF the option was made available, basically if the other crossed the boundary first then its fair game.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (246)
39.36%
No - but I will (43)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (45)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (291)
46.56%

Watched Threads