The Student Room Group

Physician Associate September 2019 Entry

Hello, not sure if anyone will read this but thought I'd start my own discussion as most of the PA forums are about universities I'm not applying to so I thought I'd see what other people are doing. Also I don't know about you guys but not many people know about this role (at least where I work) so I feel a little isolated at times so thought I'd could offer support/get a little support here :-)

So a little about me, I am a Biology grad (graduated 2017) realised in 3rd year that I wanted to work in healthcare but wasn't sure of what career path. Spent 2017/18 considering medicine/sitting UKCAT but ultimately decided the role wasn't for me. Came across the PA role, my friend is currently doing the PGdip at Surrey and decided that I think this role may be for me!

I am currently working as a Bank HCA and Theatre HCA, I have applied for Swansea and am anxiously waiting for a response! I am also applying for UWE, Brighton, Brunel and maybe Plymouth.

Let me know where you guys are application wise and how are you feeling! I am definitely anxious as Swansea is my first choice but I know it is very competitive!
Reply 1
Hiya!

This group was definitely needed!

I’m in my final year of BSc Biology & Chemistry and I’m heading to Newcastle in September! I did adult nursing before that (and then had to withdraw because I was ill) so that’s really the only proper healthcare experience I have, at the moment I do occasional volunteering work at a nursing home to deliver dementia workshops.

Good luck with Swansea, have you heard back from them yet?
Reply 2
Hi! Thank you for posting! I was losing hope I’d get any replies! Congrats- Is that for the MSc or Pgdip? That’s a shame but at least you’re getting back into healthcare now!Yes I’ve got Interviews for Swansea and Brighton medical school. Haven’t heard anything back from UWE or Brunel yet. I’m nervous though as my Brighton interview is this Friday and they have no information about what the interview is like so I’m prepping in any way I can. Swansea have been very informative and I have a bit more time to prepare for them so fingers crossed!
Reply 3
Hello!

I’ve just got an offer for Newcastle 🙂

I’m a nurse so it’s a bit of a tough decision for me to give up my career but I’m really excited!

Good luck for your interviews
Reply 4
Congratulations! Yeah that must be nerve wracking but think of all that experience and how useful it’ll be!I have an offer from BSMS! I’ve still got my interview for Swansea so I’m going to go to that and see what happens - not sure who is my top choice yet. Thank you :smile:
Hi, I'm in the exact same position. Realised in my final year of my Biomedical Science degree (2017) that i didn't want to work in a lab but in healthcare and so I spent a while debating medicine and then decided on becoming a PA. I've had an interview at Newcastle and still waiting (anxiously) to hear back, they seem to take quite a while to respond judging from other posts. If anyone else has had an interview in Newcastle can you tell me how long it took to hear back? I'm almost at 2 months now :/ I've also got an interview at Swansea which I am super nervous for. Good luck with yours!
Original post by BiologyGrad
Congratulations! Yeah that must be nerve wracking but think of all that experience and how useful it’ll be!I have an offer from BSMS! I’ve still got my interview for Swansea so I’m going to go to that and see what happens - not sure who is my top choice yet. Thank you :smile:

Hello, not sure if anyone will read this but thought I'd start my own discussion as most of the PA forums are about universities I'm not applying to so I thought I'd see what other people are doing. Also I don't know about you guys but not many people know about this role (at least where I work) so I feel a little isolated at times so thought I'd could offer support/get a little support here :-)

So a little about me, I am a Biology grad (graduated 2017) realised in 3rd year that I wanted to work in healthcare but wasn't sure of what career path. Spent 2017/18 considering medicine/sitting UKCAT but ultimately decided the role wasn't for me. Came across the PA role, my friend is currently doing the PGdip at Surrey and decided that I think this role may be for me!

I am currently working as a Bank HCA and Theatre HCA, I have applied for Swansea and am anxiously waiting for a response! I am also applying for UWE, Brighton, Brunel and maybe Plymouth.

Let me know where you guys are application wise and how are you feeling! I am definitely anxious as Swansea is my first choice but I know it is very competitive!
Reply 6
Hey! Newcastle seem to be a little unorganised/weird with the way theyre giving offers! To my knowledge they gave a few offers before Easter (literally a handful) and then another few last week (again not many!). Someone I know contacted them and asked how many offers they’d given out in total so far and it was 9🤔 they said you could be waiting until July to hear back... But also I don’t think they have rejected anyone after interview yet either 🤔🤔🤔
Original post by reverse_desserts
Hi, I'm in the exact same position. Realised in my final year of my Biomedical Science degree (2017) that i didn't want to work in a lab but in healthcare and so I spent a while debating medicine and then decided on becoming a PA. I've had an interview at Newcastle and still waiting (anxiously) to hear back, they seem to take quite a while to respond judging from other posts. If anyone else has had an interview in Newcastle can you tell me how long it took to hear back? I'm almost at 2 months now :/ I've also got an interview at Swansea which I am super nervous for. Good luck with yours!
Reply 7
I’m not really sure one Newcastle’s process for making decisions. I had my interview last Wednesday and was given a conditional offer (they need an academic reference) the next day on the Thursday. Other people are waiting months etc. Fingers crossed you hear back soon!
Reply 8
Hopefully you’ll hear back soon from Newcastle. Thank you and good luck with your interview too! Which date did you choose? Mine is the 5th, maybe I’ll see you there :smile:
Reply 9
Hey I’m in a similar position to you, I had an interview at Newcastle two weeks ago but haven’t heard from them yet. I do have an interview at Swansea next week as well so if you’ve picked the 6th I might see you! Best of luck x
My interview is the 6th :smile: See you there and good luck to everyone x
Hopefully you’ll hear back soon from Newcastle. Thank you and good luck with your interview too! Which date did you choose? Mine is the 5th, maybe I’ll see you there :smile:

Original post by Comic467
Hey I’m in a similar position to you, I had an interview at Newcastle two weeks ago but haven’t heard from them yet. I do have an interview at Swansea next week as well so if you’ve picked the 6th I might see you! Best of luck x
Hi!! Did you get in? I just got accepted to Swansea for the course! Trying to find people who are going?!
Hello there, thank you for posting this. I just finished my Bsc Bio-med and I want to go into being a PA. I need to apply ASAP for the Jan 2020 start. But I am struggling with my cover letter, please can you give me tips and on what to include. I actually don't have much experience in working in hospitals, I've been a patient a few times though - medical issues. But I don't know if I should include that? Or may it make me seem unable to do the job. I also have experience in banks, thats financial. Please let me know. I want the application to be good enough. I'm so scared :frown:

Hey! When you say cover letter do you mean personal statement? I would include your experience as a patient as it gives you in a insight into how patients feel - working on the other side, when you’re rushed and stressed you can sometimes forget how they’re feeling. This sounds horrible - sometimes it can be a numbers game as your trying to figure out which patient needs what. Obviously they are vulnerable people and you’re kind and respectable to them but sometimes you can forget they are people who are scared if that makes sense. So what you have is a valuable insight! I was a patient myself a couple of months ago and it is eye opening. My mother suffers from an autoimmune illness which was my initial exposure into healthcare - I used this as the opening into my statement and it was mentioned at 2 of my interviews as a memorable statement. So definitely use it! I would also definitely mention why you want to be a PA, why not biomed scientist or doctor etc. Also how you feel the role fits in the UK healthcare system - a couple of my uni’s asked for that in the statement. Experience in banks is still useful - you’ve got people skills, you can definitely use that. A friend of mine got into post grad nursing with no healthcare experience - she just mentioned how she worked in a currency exchange bureau and as a waitress and she got 3 offers. It’s not what experience you’ve got it’s what you’ve gained from it :-)
Hi! Thank you so much for that. I have a chronic condition, started 5 years ago and I then went into surgery for something else. I am scared to mention the chronic disease but I think I might go for it as it gave me a BIG insight into the NHS and most processes and scans. And yes I did mean the personal statement. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom, I hope she's okay now. Did you get a successful position? Well the PA helps the Doctors on hand and I'd want to be a PA and not a Doctor as I can't do 5years in Med school after Uni already taking so long with gap years? What excuse even, I basically just don't have the confidence to be a straight up Doc, I rather be the helper...... :s-smilie:
Hey! When you say cover letter do you mean personal statement? I would include your experience as a patient as it gives you in a insight into how patients feel - working on the other side, when you’re rushed and stressed you can sometimes forget how they’re feeling. This sounds horrible - sometimes it can be a numbers game as your trying to figure out which patient needs what. Obviously they are vulnerable people and you’re kind and respectable to them but sometimes you can forget they are people who are scared if that makes sense. So what you have is a valuable insight! I was a patient myself a couple of months ago and it is eye opening. My mother suffers from an autoimmune illness which was my initial exposure into healthcare - I used this as the opening into my statement and it was mentioned at 2 of my interviews as a memorable statement. So definitely use it! I would also definitely mention why you want to be a PA, why not biomed scientist or doctor etc. Also how you feel the role fits in the UK healthcare system - a couple of my uni’s asked for that in the statement. Experience in banks is still useful - you’ve got people skills, you can definitely use that. A friend of mine got into post grad nursing with no healthcare experience - she just mentioned how she worked in a currency exchange bureau and as a waitress and she got 3 offers. It’s not what experience you’ve got it’s what you’ve gained from it :-)
Thank you, she is okay - she's managing it pretty well. Yes I received 3 offers and am studying at Swansea Med School this September. I would definitely mention your experience as a patient, with regards to your chronic condition, is it something you think will hinder you in any way? If you get an offer you will fill out an occupational health form and you can discuss with you GP if you need any support (I will warn you, getting the Occi health form signed by the GP is expensive). Maybe not go into detail about your condition but just mention how you've got a unique perspective, something like that.

In all honesty, PA's do a lot of what Doctors do, it's more the fact that they will always have a supervisor which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So you could mention how you want to be in a practical role but without having to undergo so much training. I wouldn't mention the confidence thing. Maybe focus on other positives of the role - for me it was less training and the fact that I wouldn't have to be forced into a speciality for the rest of my career.
Hey, thanks for that. I went to Chester University, now I have wanted to have Birmingham and Manchester as options but is Swansea any good? Why did you pick that Uni? I have read many personal statements last night and most people mentioned their medical troubles in life. The confidence aspect I won't mention. I will state how it's all made me stronger and as I am in remission, I should be fine. I haven't had a problem in 2years so far.

I love the fact it's general and not specific to one line of speciality. I hope I get through. I am not even sure if I have the knowledge to finish it successfully. I heard it is VERY tough
Thank you, she is okay - she's managing it pretty well. Yes I received 3 offers and am studying at Swansea Med School this September. I would definitely mention your experience as a patient, with regards to your chronic condition, is it something you think will hinder you in any way? If you get an offer you will fill out an occupational health form and you can discuss with you GP if you need any support (I will warn you, getting the Occi health form signed by the GP is expensive). Maybe not go into detail about your condition but just mention how you've got a unique perspective, something like that.

In all honesty, PA's do a lot of what Doctors do, it's more the fact that they will always have a supervisor which isn't necessarily a bad thing. So you could mention how you want to be in a practical role but without having to undergo so much training. I wouldn't mention the confidence thing. Maybe focus on other positives of the role - for me it was less training and the fact that I wouldn't have to be forced into a speciality for the rest of my career.
I picked Swansea because it’s a masters at a medical school and it’s fully funded by the welsh government. Also it’s a really great programme and I was really impressed when I went to the open day. Yeah mentioning your condition and how it’s made you stronger sounds good. I’m sure you’ll be okay - most of the uni’s have pretty good pass rates. That’s another reason why I chose Swansea it has 100% pass rate for the national exam and 95% student satisfaction. That’s another thing to look at in the schools you’re choosing.
Congratulation on getting accepted into Swansea University, it's a great Uni and a lovely place to live. Did you get much time to explore the city - we've got lots of post graduates living with us. Check out this video we made about Swansea:

I picked Swansea because it’s a masters at a medical school and it’s fully funded by the welsh government. Also it’s a really great programme and I was really impressed when I went to the open day. Yeah mentioning your condition and how it’s made you stronger sounds good. I’m sure you’ll be okay - most of the uni’s have pretty good pass rates. That’s another reason why I chose Swansea it has 100% pass rate for the national exam and 95% student satisfaction. That’s another thing to look at in the schools you’re choosing.
I cannot believe I just discovered this now! It comes straight after Glasgow Medical School which is very good! The deadline for 2019 have been closed and they don't have pre-summer entries, it'll be next Sep now. I'll see how it goes with other Universities. Hmmm. Good luck though! I hope you have the bst time

Quick Reply

Latest