Rejected with decent grades... Any advice? Watch

SameDayDelivery
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I’m an international applicant and was rejected recently from UCL Computer Science BSc. I know it’s really competitive but I had predicted grades of 3A*’s, solid physics A* and a pretty good PS in my opinion.

So... I decided to reapply next year to a same course. Are work experiences really important? (I don’t have any subject related jobs to write about) Or can you guys give me some advices?

Thanks in advance.
Admit-One
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SameDayDelivery)
Hi, I’m an international applicant and was rejected recently from UCL Computer Science BSc. I know it’s really competitive but I had predicted grades of 3A*’s, solid physics A* and a pretty good PS in my opinion.

So... I decided to reapply next year to a same course. Are work experiences really important? (I don’t have any subject related jobs to write about) Or can you guys give me some advices?

Thanks in advance.
Have you asked for feedback? Work experience in of itself probably won’t make the difference, (extra curricular stuff isn’t XP that magically strengthens your app), but writing critically about it and how it relates to your proposed course of study will.

Unless UCL say otherwise, I’d imagine it was your PS or your overall profile, (including IGCSE’s/GCSE’s). Even if you think you PS was good, for a competitive course they could be looking at thousands of applications so it needs to be exceptional.
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks in advance.
I agree, the best thing to do is ask for feedback. Are you missing an essential A-level subject, such as maths? Are you missing other essential qualifications, such as English language? Do your predictions look realistic compared to your previous academic achievements? Could there be anything negative in your reference?

It may be, if you've just recently applied, that the course is simply full.

Also, do be aware that the personal statement in the UK follows a quite different style compared to other countries. Most unis aren't at all interested in extra curriculars that don't relate to your course, for example. Did anyone familiar with UK applications have a read of your PS? If not, when you come to reapply, it may be worth using the TSR review service.
SameDayDelivery
Rep:
?
(Original post by Admit-One)
Have you asked for feedback? Work experience in of itself probably won’t make the difference, (extra curricular stuff isn’t XP that magically strengthens your app), but writing critically about it and how it relates to your proposed course of study will.

Unless UCL say otherwise, I’d imagine it was your PS or your overall profile, (including IGCSE’s/GCSE’s). Even if you think you PS was good, for a competitive course they could be looking at thousands of applications so it needs to be exceptional.
Well, I did actually but they said it's impossible to give individual feedback due to the sheer volume. I also think my profile is the issue bc I don't have any IGCSE’s but if I get solid grades (hopefully 3A*'s) this August and apply with them, will it help getting an offer?
SameDayDelivery
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I agree, the best thing to do is ask for feedback. Are you missing an essential A-level subject, such as maths? Are you missing other essential qualifications, such as English language? Do your predictions look realistic compared to your previous academic achievements? Could there be anything negative in your reference?

It may be, if you've just recently applied, that the course is simply full.

Also, do be aware that the personal statement in the UK follows a quite different style compared to other countries. Most unis aren't at all interested in extra curriculars that don't relate to your course, for example. Did anyone familiar with UK applications have a read of your PS? If not, when you come to reapply, it may be worth using the TSR review service.
I really didn't know that it's different in the UK. I just wrote just like how I did other PS's in my country lol. Thanks a lot. I'll definitely use TSR review service this October. Where can I use it?
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really didn't know that it's different in the UK. I just wrote just like how I did other PS's in my country lol. Thanks a lot. I'll definitely use TSR review service this October. Where can I use it?
You can find more information about the service here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

But in the meantime definitely do ask UCL for feedback, as the rejection may have been caused by factors other than your PS.
swanseajack1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you taking Maths A level. Most universities insist on it for Computer Science. If you dont have it you likely wont get in.
swanseajack1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A*A*A

Subjects
A* Mathematics required.

GCSEs
English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5.
SameDayDelivery
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Are you taking Maths A level. Most universities insist on it for Computer Science. If you dont have it you likely wont get in.
Yep. I actually have A* in maths already now
SameDayDelivery
Rep:
?
You can find more information about the service here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

But in the meantime definitely do ask UCL for feedback, as the rejection may have been caused by factors other than your PS.
I did but they won't give feedback individually and I received an email from them saying that it's impossible due to high competitiveness. But I did get feedback from Oxford and the interviews were the problems so others were okay I guess except PS.
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did but they won't give feedback individually and I received an email from them saying that it's impossible due to high competitiveness. But I did get feedback from Oxford and the interviews were the problems so others were okay I guess except PS.
That's annoying, but I suppose it's understandable.

If you got interviews/offers elsewhere, then it's likely that your grades were fine and your qualifications appropriate and there's nothing awful in your reference- so that does only really leave the PS.

Or it may just be the case that there were a huge number of exceptional applicants and unfortunately you were just a bit unlucky next time.

Applying with grades in hand does put you in a stronger position, so good luck for next year. Don't forget that TSR offer a personal statement review service that might help you as well.
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks in advance.
What is going to change between your application this year & next.
They read your application & said no, ok if you get 3A* this will definitely stand out but they said no once, so you need to look to change something, add something else...
-Maybe do some work in Comp-Sci in industry over the summer (volunteer if necessary)
-make a more academic PS
Its hard to say without seeing your UCAS info, but you need to show them something different/improved for next year.
-if you submit something similar, you will likely get a similar result.
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’ve taken a massive risk in reapplying to UCL again because what if you reapply and get rejected again, which is a possibility?

It’s an extremely competitive course and university and there will be plenty of others who are predicted to do very well and have amazing grades and don’t make the cut.

What’s going to be different about your application next time round that’ll make UCL change their mind? If you’re dead set on it then I wish you luck but it’s not the best decision in my opinion as it could end up being a wasted year.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So your A levels aren't being taken at the same time? It could be that a your PS.
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I missed this earlier, but some unis do want all A-levels taken in one sitting, and some unis are also not keen on a gap in your maths study as they think you lose maths skills quite quickly (although this is more common for maths degrees it could still be a factor).

Are you taking 3 A-levels in one sitting this year? If not, that may make you less competitive for top unis.

Are you currently studying any maths?
mnot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
So your A levels aren't being taken at the same time? It could be that a your PS.
I missed this earlier, but some unis do want all A-levels taken in one sitting, and some unis are also not keen on a gap in your maths study as they think you lose maths skills quite quickly (although this is more common for maths degrees it could still be a factor).

Are you taking 3 A-levels in one sitting this year? If not, that may make you less competitive for top unis.

Are you currently studying any maths?
If he's doing further math a-level as well, he might have done the whole math a level first year, then just do further math + continue his other subjects more this year, this is a common approach for some schools.

just a guess, have to wait for OP...
SarcAndSpark
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
If he's doing further math a-level as well, he might have done the whole math a level first year, then just do further math + continue his other subjects more this year, this is a common approach for some schools.

OP hasn't mentioned further maths though- it would help us to advise if we had all the information.

I agree if he's doing further maths this year alongside 2 other A-levels, then it's fine.
SameDayDelivery
Rep:
?
OP hasn't mentioned further maths though- it would help us to advise if we had all the information.

I agree if he's doing further maths this year alongside 2 other A-levels, then it's fine.
(Original post by mnot)

(Original post by Muttley79)
So your A levels aren't being taken at the same time? It could be that a your PS
I’m doing my A levels in a one year course. I finished maths this January and still have Further Maths exam in June left. The problem is, I already have an A* in physics as well but unit2 was retaken. Does this matter a lot?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you want to strengthen a CS application then (after exams) have a look for things on this list that interest you https://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/u...d_reading.html
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Thanks in advance.
Did a native English speaker review your PS?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads