Poll: Public v state school
state (5)
38.46%
public (8)
61.54%
jess10810
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does it make a difference as to what type of education you receive ? Are you more likely to have a happier life if you do attend a private school ? What are the benefits to the two ?
Discuss
username4439894
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
i went from a state primary school to a private secondary school and now i’m going to a state sixth form college. private school is hell but sixth forms kinda like them. i can’t wait to do my exams in a month and leave.
Last edited by username4439894; 3 years ago
LeapingLucy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
In the UK, public schools are particularly posh private schools.

Are you asking about public vs. private or state vs. private?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
A public school in England and Wales is a fee charging school. A public school in England and Wales is a long-established, student-selective, fee-charging independent secondary school.

So State vs Private/Independent school
That'sGreat
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jess10810)
Does it make a difference as to what type of education you receive ? Are you more likely to have a happier life if you do attend a private school ? What are the benefits to the two ?
Discuss
You mean state vs private i'm guessing? Unless you're actually choosing between private vs public?
jess10810
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by That'sGreat)
You mean state vs private i'm guessing? Unless you're actually choosing between private vs public?
Yep, I’m a pleb
Last edited by jess10810; 3 years ago
Obolinda
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yep, I’m a pleb
Don't worry, it's a common mistake.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Discuss
There are quite strong cultural differences between the working, middle and upper classes in the UK.

If you’re likely to spend your adult life predominantly amongst the upper or upper-middle classes, then it certainly helps if you have had a similar sort of upbringing to them, whether it’s from your own family or from the school you attended. It just gives you more of a sense of actually belonging there, and not feeling out of your depth.

The same is true the other way round as well. If you’re someone who attended Eton and was generally raised with a silver spoon in your mouth, it’s likely that if you spend any time amongst the working class, you’ll just come across as a pompous so-and-so from an alien world, compared to someone who has been brought up amongst them in a state school.
blushxbaby
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I currently attend a private sixth form but I had been in a state schooled up until year 12.

the difference was shocking

academia wise; my grades were boosted massively and I could not really argue with that. the benefits of smaller classrooms were perfect for me.

social wise; a nightmare. most private schools have scandals every month that are usually undisclosed to the public due to their ability to bail themselves out of being in the press. whether it be a teacher sleeping with a pupil or pupils sexually assaulting one another, my eyes had been really opened the past 2 years to a lot of things i really did not anticipate to see or go through with some of my class mates.

i can not express this enough. it is a FACT that every private schools has scandals like these, but they're all hidden away behind the perfect 100% pass rates for A-level
blushxbaby
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
therefore, i believe it is so important that if anyone is considering moving to a private school, make sure you are fully aware of what the social climate is going to be like. often, even if you know some pupils already there, they won't be baiting out their school like that. but just prepare yourself and try noyt to act shocked when you realise that most of your class mates would probably have been expelled had daddy not come to the rescue
username2950448
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Your poll is incoherent with the questions in your post.
blushxbaby
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
from my experience of 2 years only;

head teacher was sacked for stealing money
a subject teacher was sacked for being a fraud and for locking two pupils in a room
a student was let back in with D's at gcse if their parents paid double the fees
a pupil had sexually assaulted a year 7
another pupil had slept with a teacher

in this atmosphere I can tell you now its so hard to keep your head down and actually take in all the amazing academic things private schools has to offer. i'd honestly suggest just doing so much research before you decide which to go for, usually the schools with slightly more scholarship students have less problems like this
blushxbaby
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
hahaha that is mad

yeah its all soooo hidden from the press and pupils (except for myself as i have some decent bones) tend to condone actions and act like things just dont happen... such a weird atmosphere
blushxbaby
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
its not in London actually. the ones in London tend to be more strict due to the higher risk of the press, greater scholarship students and the students are more aware of their privileges and tend not to exploit them as much as smaller private schools in suburbs

however, I am aware of a school in north London with mental health scandals, but not necessarily social scandals as like I said, the pupils tend to be more aware of their privileges
Last edited by blushxbaby; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (8)
24.24%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (10)
30.3%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (2)
6.06%
Speaking to staff members from universities (0)
0%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (3)
9.09%
Reading articles about what steps to take (6)
18.18%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
6.06%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
6.06%

Watched Threads