The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by harrysbar
You don't need to emphasise how informed you are, we are all equally entitled to share our experiences and opinions on this thread. @Oxford Mum has made it quite clear that this thead is inclusive in nature, and people with an interest in Brookes are welcome to join the chat. No one has said that it is "supposed to be just for Oxford university" - well, apart from the fact that you just implied it.

I said that I didn't think that many people would be applying to both unis and that is because people who apply to Oxford normally have outstanding academics and choose other top unis for their other UCAS choices, unless they have a particular reason for wanting to live in Oxford. Whereas students who apply to Brookes will generally (not always!) have a more moderate set of grades or else may be attracted to the more vocational nature of some of Brookes' degrees.

Brookes may be better for certain degrees and some students will have firmed it over Oxbridge. Oxford Uni won't be everyone's cup of tea but that doesn't mean that you have to criticise it at every opportunity. I have no particular connection to Oxford Uni or Oxford Brookes, but can appreciate them both.

I haven't actually criticised it - just added other information to balance the bias. I was reported for mentioning Brookes by someone so I think it is obvious what some people think the thread is for.

Btw you've made some very sweeping generalisations about Brookes applicants - as we are going off topic I will stop there.
Original post by Muttley79
I haven't actually criticised it - just added other information to balance the bias. I was reported for mentioning Brookes by someone so I think it is obvious what some people think the thread is for.

Btw you've made some very sweeping generalisations about Brookes applicants - as we are going off topic I will stop there.

It makes no sense that you would have been reported simply "for mentioning Brookes" - I mention different unis by name on here several times every week and have never been reported for doing so. If someone reported you just for mentioning Brookes, the mods wouldn't have bothered to bring it to your attention.

If any Brookes applicants are offended by my suggestion that on average, their students are accepted with lower entry grades than the average Oxford uni applicant, then I apologise for the generalisation.
Completing the picture - does that mean you have to praise Oxford Brookes and put down Oxford Uni at every opportunity? On the other hand, none of has had a bad word to say about Oxford Brookes.

I have said this to you before: I have recommended Oxford Brookes to other students on a couple of occasions. I myself would have never got into Oxford. Therefore Oxford Brookes would have been a natural choice, as I love Oxford but hate writing essays. That is, if Oxford Brookes offered the kind of course I wanted.

Nexttime, by the way, is one of the most highly respected members of the student room and is himself an Oxford medical graduate. Some of his remarks were very helpful to my son when he was applying and I hold him in very high esteem. So his experience will trump everyone on this thread, apart from Oxfossil, who works at a certain Oxford college in a senior capacity. Yet you still persist in believing you know better than him.

Many here are parents like myself, who hear just about every week from our kids how great Oxford university is. So we have reports direct from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Arguing with us about whether or not we know more about Oxford than you is moot, because most of the posters on here know exactly what it is like, and love it.

(Original post by Muttley79)

Original post by Oxford Mum

Many here are parents like myself, who hear just about every week from our kids how great Oxford university is. So we have reports direct from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Arguing with us about whether or not we know more about Oxford than you is moot, because most of the posters on here know exactly what it is like, and love it.

I visit Oxford frequently and speak to students regularly - as I said I have friends who lecture in more than one college. I do have a broader knowledge than someone based in one college or who took one degree. I just think some of the over the top hype on here needs balance and if that upsets some people then they need to know that some students leave Oxford as they are so unhappy.
I visit Oxford frequently and speak to students regularly - as I said I have friends who lecture in more than one college. I do have a broader knowledge than someone based in one college or who took one degree. I just think some of the over the top hype on here needs balance and if that upsets some people then they need to know that some students leave Oxford as they are so unhappy.

Students drop out of every uni due to unhappiness....Oxford is no different in that regard
Original post by harrysbar
Students drop out of every uni due to unhappiness....Oxford is no different in that regard

Did I say t was? It is just rarely acknowledged.
Friends in which college? Lecturing on which subject? It seems you are very shy at telling us specifics.

As for over the top hype, these are our own personal experiences and have not been exaggerated in any way. My younger son told me Oxford was ten times better than he dreamed it would be. It looks like the other Oxford parents have happy memories to relate too. This thread will also give future parents and students something to look forward to, I hope

(Original post by Muttley79)
As for the drop out rate, here are the figures in full

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/full-version-facts-and-figures?wssl=1

The drop out rate at Oxford is 1.3% - one of the lowest in the UK. The national average is 7.4%
Did I say t was? It is just rarely acknowledged.

Yes, you did imply that we didn't know that a minority of students are unhappy at Oxford when you said " if that upsets some people then they need to know that some students leave Oxford as they are so unhappy"
Sorry @nexttime I should have gone to specsavers
@Muttley79 Can you please stop using this thread to air your negative views about the University of Oxford. That is not what this thread is for. And if you want to talk about Oxford Brookes then I suggest you head over to the Oxford Brookes University forum and post there.

Let's stay on topic, and that goes for everyone!
He was at Wadham.At risk of being excommunicated from this thread he is now at Darwin College, Cambridge doing his Phd.
Wadham is weird in that the minute you step through into the quad it is totally silent despite being right in the middle of town. It certainly is distinctive in it's outlook and has made great strides in really widening it's intake. It is about 67%state school which was one of our reasons for choosing it.It is really doing what the rest of Oxford should be doing on that front. However it is very pc and woke though to the point where even my left wing offspring would roll his eyes!

@Scotney so your child is at wadham? I have a lot of time for this beautiful college. I remember going to visit once, and sitting in the tranquil gardens, it is hard to believe you are in the centre of such a touristy city. I also love the statues on the facade, and missed having some statues at my elder son’s college. Now though my younger son is at oriel. That has three statues above the dining room, so I can finally have my statue fix! But what I like the very, very best about wadham is how diverse it is and how they work so hard to achieve this
If this is supposed to be just for Oxford university the thread is wrongly named.

It's in the university of oxford forum!
(edited 4 years ago)
I have no link to the University of Oxford but I attended a few guest lectures with professors from Said Business School and Blavatnik School of Government at the local university. I was extremely moved and I've never been so mesmerised in my life at a lecture before.
@Scotney this is very true about the accommodation. At oriel this can vary a lot and can be relatively inexpensive at the bottom end. One thing you need to know about accommodation if your child is at Exeter college ( I didn’t know this) . My son really wanted to stay in an old room in the main quad , however you needed to put down on the accommodation form that you don’t mind sharing a set. A set is two small bedrooms with a massive shared study in between (you can see where Oxford places it’s emphasis). So when he got there he was given a room in a rather outdated 1960s building over the blackwells poster shop. I had to listen to his moaning for at least half an hour afterwards. However there were compensations. The view of broad street was stunning and he had a bedroom and a lovely lounge with a settee all to himself. My younger son made good use of that settee, I can tell you, when he came to visit. There may be single rooms in the main quad , idk. One thing I,be learnt about Oxford is that you can’t generalise. When it comes to Oxford, expect the unexpected. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s such an exciting place.

Most of the colleges have had very similar experiences through history over their accommodation as they have tended to make the same changes to living accommodation at about the same time. This decade's challenge is what to do about largely life expired 1960s and 1970s cheapjack accommodation. The colleges' problems are that in many cases the colleges did not save money on architects' fees so this is cheapjack accommodation built by the greatest architects of their era; and these buildings are also now part of the Oxford landscape.

If you had spoken to a domestic bursar in the 1970s or 1980s, his conversation would have been all about the challenges of getting central heating and plumbing into the historic quad staircases.
Original post by nulli tertius
Most of the colleges have had very similar experiences through history over their accommodation as they have tended to make the same changes to living accommodation at about the same time. This decade's challenge is what to do about largely life expired 1960s and 1970s cheapjack accommodation. The colleges' problems are that in many cases the colleges did not save money on architects' fees so this is cheapjack accommodation built by the greatest architects of their era; and these buildings are also now part of the Oxford landscape.

If you had spoken to a domestic bursar in the 1970s or 1980s, his conversation would have been all about the challenges of getting central heating and plumbing into the historic quad staircases.

Indeed. But then the values of modern architecture are baffling to me. Blue Boar quad at Ch Ch appears no different to thousands of 60s concrete silo-housing blocks all over the country, and is horribly out of keeping with the rest of the college architecture. The rooms on the ground floor have a chronic problem with damp. Yet it is Grade II* listed. The new Perrodo building at SPC looks like someone dropped it out of the sky on the way to a completely different - and much larger - site. It's won a RIBA award, of course, and the description on their website is telling - "admirably pure: unlike the neighbours...an unsullied Platonic cuboid". Because that's what all the smart folk are asking for down the estate agents these days, "Yes, have you got any unsullied Platonic cuboids on the West side of town?"

For what it's worth, rooms at Oxford include the best and the worst uni accommodation I've stayed in. The best - my daughter's final year rooms at Ch Ch. The worst - a cell in Univ with a window opening directly onto the High Street.
... his experience will trump everyone on this thread, apart from Oxfossil, who works at a certain Oxford college in a senior capacity...

I'm so tempted to leave this unchallenged. Me, a sort of Owl to @Oxford Mum 's Tigger and @Muttley79 's Eeyore. But I cannot tell a lie. I retired nearly 3 years ago, and my direct involvement with Oxford ended last year, when my daughter finished her Masters at LMH. My only involvement in academia now is dabbling in some research (but even that's at the Other Place)

Oh, but my will includes an instruction that my dessicated corpse should take the place of the statue of the dastardly Cecil Rhodes at Oriel.
Thank you, oxfossil for enlightening me about your Oxford status. I like being referred to as tigger as I am such an enthusiast when it comes to Oxford. My son’s room at oriel was the one straddling said dastardly Rhodes statue
Ok that statue is awful. The net in front of it makes it 1000x worse. :laugh:
Thank you, oxfossil for enlightening me about your Oxford status. I like being referred to as tigger as I am such an enthusiast when it comes to Oxford. My son’s room at oriel was the one straddling said dastardly Rhodes statue
It’s to stop oxfossil from tearing it down, obvs
Original post by Doones
It's in the university of oxford forum!

That's far from obvious when it appears in the links on the right! So it is wrongly labelled in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest