The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Ha ha, nulli you are so funny! It’s not THAT boat, but a deliberate boat burning ceremony. This happens often at oriel (last year for women’s team, on Saturday for men’s team) . We’re just too darn good at rowing!!! Last year I came across the charred remains of a boat in the middle of first quad and wondered what on earth it was
Oxford Boat Burning ceremony

Whoever comes first in the intercollegiate boat races (there are men's and women's teams) are crowned Head of the River. The victorious college (in our case, Oriel) carries the upturned boat down the High, with the cox riding on top. The students sing a chant (a bit boring nowadays, as the previous ones were too rude apparently). The boat is then placed in the quad.

There follows a special dinner for the team (which the college pays for). After the dinner, the Provost (head of the college) is carried out in a chair. The provost sets fire to the boat with a blow torch. All the students stand round and watch it burn.

In the past, the students had to jump over the burning boat (see article) but that was deemed too dangerous!

http://folklore.usc.edu/?p=28974
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/08/dafydd-jones-best-photograph-burning-boat-race-rowers-oriel-oxford-university

I see that Oriel is featured in both photos! I'm not kidding when I say we are too good at this!
Original post by Oxford Mum
Ha ha, nulli you are so funny! It’s not THAT boat, but a deliberate boat burning ceremony. This happens often at oriel (last year for women’s team, on Saturday for men’s team) . We’re just too darn good at rowing!!! Last year I came across the charred remains of a boat in the middle of first quad and wondered what on earth it was
... After the dinner, the Provost (head of the college) is carried out in a chair. The provost sets fire to the boat with a blow torch. All the students stand round and watch it burn.

In the past, the students had to jump over the burning boat (see article) but that was deemed too dangerous!

I had assumed the burning boat at Christ Church in 2017 was placed behind safety barriers to prevent drunken spectators falling into the pyre. It soon transpired it was to protect said spectators from being struck by a burning Dean as he stepped through the barriers to hurl himself bodily over the flames. His attempt to emulate Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley was, however, unsuccessful and he remains in post today, largely unsinged.
Oxford Boat Burning ceremony

Whoever comes first in the intercollegiate boat races (there are men's and women's teams) are crowned Head of the River. The victorious college (in our case, Oriel) carries the upturned boat down the High, with the cox riding on top. The students sing a chant (a bit boring nowadays, as the previous ones were too rude apparently). The boat is then placed in the quad.

There follows a special dinner for the team (which the college pays for). After the dinner, the Provost (head of the college) is carried out in a chair. The provost sets fire to the boat with a blow torch. All the students stand round and watch it burn.

http://folklore.usc.edu/?p=28974
https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/aug/08/dafydd-jones-best-photograph-burning-boat-race-rowers-oriel-oxford-university

I see that Oriel is featured in both photos! I'm not kidding when I say we are too good at this!

this ceremonial release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere belongs in the past :hand:

instead a full scale replica of the boat could be made of tofu by local underprivileged children. it would be eaten by students and undernourished local people while a Peruvian Pan Pipe group played haunting melodies.
@the bear you are making me laugh too much. People in the office are staring at me. Obvs this is why I am not being promoted. On the up side, I would pay good money to see that tofu boat. Your imagination is hilarious, but slightly scary at the same time 😉😉😉😉

@OxFossil nothing about Oxford surprises me any more. That’s why I love it
Original post by OxFossil
I had assumed the burning boat at Christ Church in 2017 was placed behind safety barriers to prevent drunken spectators falling into the pyre. It soon transpired it was to protect said spectators from being struck by a burning Dean as he stepped through the barriers to hurl himself bodily over the flames. His attempt to emulate Cranmer, Latimer and Ridley was, however, unsuccessful and he remains in post today, largely unsinged.

Ah, you have identified the true reason for the Dean’s suspension.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 enjoying this boat theme very much- top banter
How are we all coping with recent news that our offspring are only at the third best UK university?
Original post by PeteM01
How are we all coping with recent news that our offspring are only at the third best UK university?

I wouldn't worry, it's only the Guardian ranking
I am okay as my one is now at 'the other place' which is number 1.He obviously has a big effect on the ratings!!!
Original post by PeteM01
Reply 390
don't mind me but this is the most middle class TSR discussion I've ever come across :biggrin:
Still in mourning :getmecoat:
Original post by PeteM01
Original post by Qadeer1
don't mind me but this is the most middle class TSR discussion I've ever come across :biggrin:

Well anyone can join in.

I'm not even an Oxford parent but it's a good laugh and I haven't been kicked off yet :biggrin:
It's ok, Oxford is still no. 1 in the Sun ranking
Original post by harrysbar
I wouldn't worry, it's only the Guardian ranking
We want him back!!!!
Original post by Scotney
I am okay as my one is now at 'the other place' which is number 1.He obviously has a big effect on the ratings!!!
Welcome to the Harrods of TSR threads. Do sit down and have a quail's egg.
Original post by Qadeer1
Reply 396
Loving it already. :biggrin:
Welcome to the Harrods of TSR threads. Do sit down and have a quail's egg.
Do stay @Qadeer1, you are welcome!

Next Sunday I will be going to my son's formal dinner at Oriel College

https://www.google.com/search?q=oriel+college&rlz=1C1CHMO_enGB531GB538&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7xv70md3iAhWSQhUIHS98BqsQ_AUIESgC&biw=1920&bih=969

so do join us on Monday night, when I will be posting a full report.

Original post by Qadeer1
Loving it already. :biggrin:
Come off it you would never swap Oxford for St Andrews! I think they should include weather and mean temperature in the ratings!
Still in mourning :getmecoat:
You know me too well, Scotney. And yes, I would hate the weather up in Scotland!
Original post by Scotney
Come off it you would never swap Oxford for St Andrews! I think they should include weather and mean temperature in the ratings!

Quick Reply