The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Yes, it’s hard for us empty nesters.

Younger son came back from Oxford but just to attend my aunts funeral. I was devastated to see him drive off.

Sorry to hear about your aunt OM x:grouphugs: hugs
Original post by E's Dad
A harsh lesson for her, although could have been worse - she was sensible to go on her bank app straight away to cancel the card. She spoke to the nightclub to report the theft - they messaged her the next day to say the purse had been found - money (£30) had gone, although the bank card and drivers license were there (we had contacted both the bank and dvla 1st thing to cancel/reissue the cards) - thief managed to use the card just once - £4 "taken" on the card, which the bank will refund apparently

Sorry to hear about the purse but glad she is getting to enjoy a bit of freshers fun this year after last year's disappointments.Got to love those 3am phone calls, son was a terror for those at first!
Original post by E's Dad
I hope all the freshers, who have recently been dropped off, have settled in. I was really pleased to see my daughter post some pictures from the freshers fayre, having missed out on it last year - it had to be done she said - if only for the free hat and (more importantly?) free pizza. The first week back didn't go without a hitch - her first experience in an Oxford nightclub included having her purse stolen and her ringing us at 3am!!

Sorry to hear about your daughters purse, but glad its been found with the card and licence.

Original post by PASP29
It's certainly reinforced the message about watching your drinks when out.

Most certainly, always watch the drinks, who knows what they put tin them.

@Crafty Mum glad your daughters settling well and hope she enjoys the physics dept.

@ReadingMum 2 electric rings between 6 is not great. Spag bol you need two rings, not leaving any for anyone else :frown: Can they have things like cheese toastie makers or are they not allowed?

@Debs25 I had a similar talk with my daughter. Bag with you are all times, as well as your drink.

Daughter went out to a couple of clubs last week. Went with her flatmates on Wednesday, and then with her lab partner and his flat on Friday. Then Tuesday the uni put on an arranged meet up for 2nd year physics students, and she and her physics friend who lives in north notts (so not too far), they went to Morecambe.
Then Wednesday was freshers fair. She had a free slice of pizza, a free waffle and chocolate sauce, then for dinner she had some 'monopoly wins' from mcdonalds, so she had a burger and 2 fries and a drink, all for nothing. She joined the badminton society, harry potter society, and disney society and the physics one (although I think thats a lot so probably she might ditch one). She had a meeting today with her supervisor, and also the chap who gave her the last internship and going to give her some contacts (and reference) for next summer. Teaching starts next week :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Sarahozark987
So sorry to hear this happened, hope she is ok.

And thank you so much for all your help and advice, which have been invaluable. Son has moved in and seems be to having a fantastic time so far. Hope that doesn’t change when work starts in earnest on Monday! He said the second years were all super-friendly and helpful.

Good to hear that he has settled in so quickly. I'm sure the 2nd years have been as excited as the freshers during freshers week after missing out last year. (I know my daughter took her college kids out for lunch the other day). After the nightclub incident we have only had the odd text from her - sounds as if she is too busy enjoying herself. The in person lectures are going to be a novelty - I think my daughter is looking forward to the course starting
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Sorry to hear about your daughters purse, but glad its been found with the card and licence.

Most certainly, always watch the drinks, who knows what they put tin them.

@Crafty Mum glad your daughters settling well and hope she enjoys the physics dept.

@ReadingMum 2 electric rings between 6 is not great. Spag bol you need two rings, not leaving any for anyone else :frown: Can they have things like cheese toastie makers or are they not allowed?

@Debs25 I had a similar talk with my daughter. Bag with you are all times, as well as your drink.

Daughter went out to a couple of clubs last week. Went with her flatmates on Wednesday, and then with her lab partner and his flat on Friday. Then Tuesday the uni put on an arranged meet up for 2nd year physics students, and she and her physics friend who lives in north notts (so not too far), they went to Morecambe.
Then Wednesday was freshers fair. She had a free slice of pizza, a free waffle and chocolate sauce, then for dinner she had some 'monopoly wins' from mcdonalds, so she had a burger and 2 fries and a drink, all for nothing. She joined the badminton society, harry potter society, and disney society and the physics one (although I think thats a lot so probably she might ditch one). She had a meeting today with her supervisor, and also the chap who gave her the last internship and going to give her some contacts (and reference) for next summer. Teaching starts next week :smile:

Glad to see your daughter is getting on so well. Obviously, from this thread, all you need to keep students happy is free pizza!
Original post by E's Dad
Good to hear that he has settled in so quickly. I'm sure the 2nd years have been as excited as the freshers during freshers week after missing out last year. (I know my daughter took her college kids out for lunch the other day). After the nightclub incident we have only had the odd text from her - sounds as if she is too busy enjoying herself. The in person lectures are going to be a novelty - I think my daughter is looking forward to the course starting

So glad things are getting back to normal for the students. Your daughter survived first year medicine, so it should start to get a bit easier...

Son presently in hospital doing paediatrics. He's looking forward to meeting the children, as he has quite the sense of humour.
Hi everyone. I found this forum useful last year during applications/offers so thought I'd pop back and say hi to other parents. My son has just started at Hertford College, doing physics. Any other Hertford/Physics parents about?
Looking for any tips on finding accommodation for the second year (yes, already!) Daughter's college doesn't have any, and doesn't seem to provide much help. Current second years are mostly about 40mins away in Cowley. Places are already starting to be advertised for next September, so I guess she'd better get on with it!
Original post by SPCMother
Looking for any tips on finding accommodation for the second year (yes, already!) Daughter's college doesn't have any, and doesn't seem to provide much help. Current second years are mostly about 40mins away in Cowley. Places are already starting to be advertised for next September, so I guess she'd better get on with it!

Tip from my son's friends who are now PhD students. When they all got a house together for 4th year, they looked for "student lettings" and saw the usual array of tired properties. This time, they looked under "professional/executive lettings" and saw a much better variety/quality of options. Not sure if the letting agent will give you a hard time once they see that your daughter is a 2nd year, but worth a try.
Original post by HazeGray
Tip from my son's friends who are now PhD students. When they all got a house together for 4th year, they looked for "student lettings" and saw the usual array of tired properties. This time, they looked under "professional/executive lettings" and saw a much better variety/quality of options. Not sure if the letting agent will give you a hard time once they see that your daughter is a 2nd year, but worth a try.

Thank you - good tip!
Original post by SPCMother

I would say do not be too hasty. Better she gets to know her new friends a little better before you find yourself contracted to live with some utter nightmare of a housemate. Son did not start looking until after Xmas and found a lovely flat on site of what is now the Dorothy Wadham Building, it was so good Wadham bought it!!!! Seriously daughter was in a nightmare situation last year and it is nigh on impossible to get out of tenancies. So I would hold your horses for a bit.
Original post by Scotney
I would say do not be too hasty. Better she gets to know her new friends a little better before you find yourself contracted to live with some utter nightmare of a housemate. Son did not start looking until after Xmas and found a lovely flat on site of what is now the Dorothy Wadham Building, it was so good Wadham bought it!!!! Seriously daughter was in a nightmare situation last year and it is nigh on impossible to get out of tenancies. So I would hold your horses for a bit.

Thank you!
Original post by pizzamum
Hi everyone. I found this forum useful last year during applications/offers so thought I'd pop back and say hi to other parents. My son has just started at Hertford College, doing physics. Any other Hertford/Physics parents about?

Hey Pizzamum. Daughter not an oxford physics, but does study phys, particle and cosmology at a different uni. She has done Uniq at oxford and has studied at the department when she was at Balliol and loved it :smile: hope hes getting on :biggrin:
We're looking to take grandparents to visit daughter at oxford soon but they are not v mobile, can anyone recommend a traditional pub not in the heart of the city and with good parking? So obv not turf et al. Thanks!!
Original post by PASP29
We're looking to take grandparents to visit daughter at oxford soon but they are not v mobile, can anyone recommend a traditional pub not in the heart of the city and with good parking? So obv not turf et al. Thanks!!

Take a look at the Trout Inn at Wolvercote.
Original post by PASP29

Original post by PeteM01
Take a look at the Trout Inn at Wolvercote.

You just beat me to it. It is out of town but would be ideal. It was our birthday pub when son was in Oxford. It is on river with heaters outside or cosy and quiet inside. No loud music so you can actually chat.
Original post by pizzamum

Hi @pizzamum
My daughter has just started at St Catz, also doing Physics.
Sounds perfect.... Thank you so much... Great example of the benefits of this board.
(edited 2 years ago)
Oooh, really?
Original post by Oxford Mum
Oooh, really?

Yes! When I last looked it had 166 members. Like this forum, the members are very supportive of one another, share their concerns, celebrate successes, ask for advice and it's a mine of information.

Quick Reply

Latest