The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Klotild
Sounds nice and well organised! Has your younger son managed to decide about college choice?
Our Family&Friends Day was also great, the city seemed very quiet though.

It was good that we got some useful tips about drop off too:-)

He has selected St Edmund’s Hall - only 7 colleges did his course, he has now completed the application. I think he will be happy at all of them which is why it was hard to choose!

Thanks to advice on here we have bought a black suit, white shirt, smart shoes etc for the older one today.
His college and course parents have been messaging him, he already feels he belongs.
Original post by petal15
He has selected St Edmund’s Hall - only 7 colleges did his course, he has now completed the application. I think he will be happy at all of them which is why it was hard to choose!

Thanks to advice on here we have bought a black suit, white shirt, smart shoes etc for the older one today.
His college and course parents have been messaging him, he already feels he belongs.

Aahh! Happy. Memories! Goodluck with number two!
Yes scotney but he is living off campus I’m afraid
Original post by Scotney
Aahh! Happy. Memories! Goodluck with number two!

Thank you
@petal15

You know you belong as soon as you drop into the porters lodge and they say welcome!

Also as one of the porters said to me my son was now a member of the family.

So he will quite literally be joining a very close knit and caring community. Enjoy the experience.
Original post by Oxford Mum
These family and friends days sound fantastic, Klotild! Oxford won't be quiet come October 6th! Will be dropping son off then for final year..

We're going on the 7th:-) Good luck to your son on his final year!!

Original post by petal15

Exciting!!! Wishing him the best with applying!

Same here, my son is in contact with his college parents, they are very supportive, I am starting to breath out finally:-)
The college parents tend to make you a meal in freshers week. At least one should be reading the same subject. This comes in hand for telling you what to expect
Original post by petal15
...we have bought a black suit, white shirt, smart shoes etc for the older one today.

Worth investing in a good pair of shoes. I still have - and wear - the pair I bought for my Oxford interview more than 40 years ago. Mind you, that may also say something about how often I have been invited to posh dinners over the years.

The college parents idea is a stroke of genius; it makes such a difference to Freshers coming into what can feel like quite an intimidating environment.
The college parents tend to make you a meal in freshers week. At least one should be reading the same subject. This comes in hand for telling you what to expect

Original post by OxFossil
The college parents idea is a stroke of genius; it makes such a difference to Freshers coming into what can feel like quite an intimidating environment.

I agree! My one is already grateful for the bits and pieces of advice he has received so far.
(edited 4 years ago)
My son had a fantastic college dad who was always about when needed and did indeed take his children out for a meal in the first week but his college mum abandoned her two offspring and was an absentee mother. Luckily their college Aunty stepped into the breach! Cutest thing was him buying the 'kids' carnations for their first year exams!
Son's kids are still in contact with him and his son has just joined him at Cambridge while his daughter is doing her Masters at Reading.
He is a very proud parent! Weirdly their college mother was also uninterested!
Original post by Klotild
We're going on the 7th:-) Good luck to your son on his final year!!

Exciting!!! Wishing him the best with applying!

Same here, my son is in contact with his college parents, they are very supportive, I am starting to breath out finally:-)

Glad you are feeling reassured it really will be fine. By this time next year you will have joined the converted!
My elder son had to step in and be a college dad when the existing one just stayed in his room and never went out! I can recall him helping his college son when he needed a bit of help with his literature.

Also when my younger son had appendicitis, being in hospital then at home, his college parents and his peers sent him some notes to help him catch up.

In fact, one of his fellow medics insisted he saw the college nurse when he started experiencing pains, went to hospital with him and insisted the doctors saw him urgently when they were just going to give him medication. His appendix duly burst before he reached the operating table.

I have seen plenty of kindness and supportive behaviour from various students and staff around Oxford. To anyone, parents or students who are coming up in October, enjoy
Original post by Scotney
My son had a fantastic college dad who was always about when needed and did indeed take his children out for a meal in the first week but his college mum abandoned her two offspring and was an absentee mother. Luckily their college Aunty stepped into the breach! Cutest thing was him buying the 'kids' carnations for their first year exams!
Son's kids are still in contact with him and his son has just joined him at Cambridge while his daughter is doing her Masters at Reading.
He is a very proud parent! Weirdly their college mother was also uninterested!

This sounds so funny, I mean the wording. It takes some getting used to. When he first said 'I asked my parents...' I was like 'What?!' before the penny dropped a moment later:-D
Wait till he’s a grandparent
Original post by Klotild
This sounds so funny, I mean the wording. It takes some getting used to. When he first said 'I asked my parents...' I was like 'What?!' before the penny dropped a moment later:-D

I know! I was secretly glad his college Mum was rubbish. Only need one Mum! :lol::biggrin:
Wait till he’s a grandparent.

He did know his college grandad and grandmother!
I can remember Alex proposing to his college wife, stood beneath her balcony! He still has the ring she gave him
I can remember Alex proposing to his college wife, stood beneath her balcony! He still has the ring she gave himi

I think the red flags were out when son's wife told him he was to be her colllege husband!They got a flat together for second year but the minute we saw the stickers on the cupboard doors and fridge shelves we knew the 'marriage' would never last.She was a spoilt only child with parents to match.She acted like she owned the place and bossed the other three about all year!I told him we should rip those stickers off! But it was when she suggested the poorer girl in the flat could act as their scout in return for a reduced rent that son finally put his foot down!Awful girl !
Original post by Scotney
I think the red flags were out when son's wife told him he was to be her colllege husband!They got a flat together for second year but the minute we saw the stickers on the cupboard doors and fridge shelves we knew the 'marriage' would never last.She was a spoilt only child with parents to match.She acted like she owned the place and bossed the other three about all year!I told him we should rip those stickers off! But it was when she suggested the poorer girl in the flat could act as their scout in return for a reduced rent that son finally put his foot down!Awful girl !

What a nightmare! Time for divorce papers....
What a nightmare! Time for divorce papers....

Oh Absolutely!But on brighter note son and other girl remain firm friends.
Wadham actually bought their flat and the ones adjoining it and it will be the site of Wadham's second year accommodation in the shape of the Dorothy Wadham Building which will open in 2020.Boy does love a good location!
I do think the year out was a good learning experience though and made coming back into college for third year all the sweeter.

Quick Reply