The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JHK101
WTF! The students are being invited to book their degree days as of tomorrow. Degrees days occur all through July and into September/November. But the St Hugh's people have been told they only get the choice of 28th Sept or 8th November! Totally shafted. Is there a hierarchy of Colleges who get the good dates?

This is totally unfair. Any date through July and August would have been fine. But September/November is much more difficult. I really hope that this information is wrong.

I would advise if they want to graduate with their friends they book asap.Son was in Australia during Sept to Dec so got a lovely date in May but not with anyone he knew!He was at Wadham.
Reply 8521
Original post by Ghostlady
Wow thats not great, what happens if they are starting their phd's or have a job?

They won't have their degree certificates and will presumably have to show other evidence they have got their degrees.
I don’t know anything about Oxmas, but maybe it’s not a thing at St Catz as they don’t have a chapel as such.
Daughter and friends cooked a ‘Christmas dinner’ between them last Friday (beef though instead of turkey) using their air fryers. I think they did brilliantly, especially in view of the awful so-called ‘kitchen’ they have.

Anyone know how to insert a photo now?? :frown:
Original post by JHK101
They won't have their degree certificates and will presumably have to show other evidence they have got their degrees.

They will have other evidence.As I said son could not attend Wadham's allotted days but had started his Masters at York Uni in Sept although he did not have his graduation ceremony until May.
Original post by Crafty Mum
I don’t know anything about Oxmas, but maybe it’s not a thing at St Catz as they don’t have a chapel as such.
Daughter and friends cooked a ‘Christmas dinner’ between them last Friday (beef though instead of turkey) using their air fryers. I think they did brilliantly, especially in view of the awful so-called ‘kitchen’ they have.

Anyone know how to insert a photo now?? :frown:

A lovely man has just backed up us up on the new thread experience in a very techy way.Maybe they will respond to that.The whole thing is infuriating!!!!!!!!!I just asked the thread to please use usernames and then posted it as anon 16!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Scotney
I would advise if they want to graduate with their friends they book asap.Son was in Australia during Sept to Dec so got a lovely date in May but not with anyone he knew!He was at Wadham.

Thats a shame he couldnt graduate with friends. Daughters in same position for next year. She has to graduate in the FST department for Grizedale college which is at a specific time and date, and her physics friends are all from other colleges, so they will be graduating on different days. Its possible theres a couple of housemates from first year who does biochem and natural sciences, but she does not really speak to them much since year 1 finished.
Thats a shame he couldnt graduate with friends. Daughters in same position for next year. She has to graduate in the FST department for Grizedale college which is at a specific time and date, and her physics friends are all from other colleges, so they will be graduating on different days. Its possible theres a couple of housemates from first year who does biochem and natural sciences, but she does not really speak to them much since year 1 finished.

Actually we met a delightful American family who sat with us at the college formal after son had been chatting to the daughter before and after the ceremony so it was fine.After that it is really a family day and we had great fun walking around Oxford with him in his robes and strangers walking up and congratulating him.It was a bit like getting married all over again!Plus loads of photos in various locations like the Radcam and Bodlian.It was a beautiful hot day in May and we also met his favourite tutor and had a nice chat .It was the evening of several Oxford balls so we had an amazing fashion parade to watch as we sat outside Wadham in the evening sunshine.The winner was the Cinderella girl transformed by her friends whose boyfriend could not believe his eyes when he saw her!A perfect day all round!

Actually an amazing number of his friends chose to graduate in absentia.Son would have done the same but knew I had been looking forward to it.He certainly was glad he did do it in person in the end.
Original post by Scotney
Actually we met a delightful American family who sat with us at the college formal after son had been chatting to the daughter before and after the ceremony so it was fine.After that it is really a family day and we had great fun walking around Oxford with him in his robes and strangers walking up and congratulating him.It was a bit like getting married all over again!Plus loads of photos in various locations like the Radcam and Bodlian.It was a beautiful hot day in May and we also met his favourite tutor and had a nice chat .It was the evening of several Oxford balls so we had an amazing fashion parade to watch as we sat outside Wadham in the evening sunshine.The winner was the Cinderella girl transformed by her friends whose boyfriend could not believe his eyes when he saw her!A perfect day all round!

Oh wow that sounds so amazing, and also on the same day as some balls as well 🙂 I know theres a swing band which plays recent tunes in a big band style and a marquee in the college quad on the day, we kind of gatecrashed the college bar this year as I wanted 2 for 1 cocktails at the time and was also staying in Lancaster that night and it happen to fall on graduation day lol. Graduating absentia though, thats a shame they cannot experience it as I imagine it was a magical day.
phd update, since shes on lower 2:1 (all has been marked now) and she says its unlikely oxford will let her in (plus she wants to be close to boyfriend by a cheapish train ride to west manchester). So shes applying to 3 projects in Manchester, 2 in Lancaster. Then shes emailed Liverpool as they have an lhcb group there, as well as Birmingham who are also advertising a place which is funded, and Sheffield have advertised lots but they are competition funded. One of her best friends is applying to Oxford though so shes been telling him all about it (hes going through the astrophysics route and on track for a first).
Original post by Scotney
A lovely man has just backed up us up on the new thread experience in a very techy way.Maybe they will respond to that.The whole thing is infuriating!!!!!!!!!I just asked the thread to please use usernames and then posted it as anon 16!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still can’t tag people :frown:, and wanted to post a photo, but no idea on how to do that now. I feel like a dinosaur unable to work these things out, grrrrrr….!!!! Let’s hope they take note of the Techy man.

Update…..
Let’s try again…… oh a small box has come up now with 2 suggestions, so maybe they are listening to us!
@Scotney Hurrayyyy!!
Hi All,

So we're preparing to collect our Daughter from halls this weekend, and thought I'd share some info regarding road closures that I've been made aware of that may be of use when planning your route to/from Oxford.
We're heading down from Yorkshire, so will affect our homeward journey.
Safe travel all!

Please be aware that the A43 Northbound from Brackley will be CLOSED*from 8pm Friday 1st*December - 6am Monday 4th*December.
A43 northbound Barley Mow to Towcester (with limited access) carriageway closure.
Overall Scheme Details: A43 northbound and southbound, Barley Mow Roundabout to Towcester Lay-by, carriageway closures with diversion and 24/7 narrow lanes, speed and cycle restrictions for junction improvements. Diversion via national Highways and Local Authority network.

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/travel-updates/road-closure-report/
Picked son up this morning, brilliant to have him home. Seems the first term has been a great success but he is exhausted. Looking forward to having some proper conversations in time 😂
Original post by Anonymous #11
Picked son up this morning, brilliant to have him home. Seems the first term has been a great success but he is exhausted. Looking forward to having some proper conversations in time 😂

Not anonymous 🙄
Original post by Anonymous #11

They do be like that especially first couple of terms.😄Son slept for about a week when he first used to get home.!Glad all has gone well and he has enjoyed his first term.
Original post by Scotney
They do be like that especially first couple of terms.😄Son slept for about a week when he first used to get home.!Glad all has gone well and he has enjoyed his first term.

Yes he says he’s going to sleep for 3 weeks! Quite a bit of unpacking to do now 😂
He’s currently chilling with his younger brother 🥰
Original post by Fritillary
Yes he says he’s going to sleep for 3 weeks! Quite a bit of unpacking to do now 😂
He’s currently chilling with his younger brother 🥰

Aah it is lovely to get them home.I used to think 'Happiness is seeing two pairs of trainers on the hall mat!'🥰
Original post by Scotney
Aah it is lovely to get them home.I used to think 'Happiness is seeing two pairs of trainers on the hall mat!'🥰

Or a full laundry basket :rolleyes:
Original post by normaw
Or a full laundry basket :rolleyes:

He’s been remarkably good at keeping on top of his washing but it has a slightly fausty smell so I think the washing machine will be busy.
Original post by Fritillary
He’s been remarkably good at keeping on top of his washing but it has a slightly fausty smell so I think the washing machine will be busy.

I used to find this as well.Son was very good about getting all his washing done before coming home but it all smelt really musty as you say.I discovered he was putting the detergent and conditioner in the wrong departments of the machine.He also was not using bio detergent.It is quite a distinctive smell alright!
Oh wow that sounds so amazing, and also on the same day as some balls as well 🙂 I know theres a swing band which plays recent tunes in a big band style and a marquee in the college quad on the day, we kind of gatecrashed the college bar this year as I wanted 2 for 1 cocktails at the time and was also staying in Lancaster that night and it happen to fall on graduation day lol. Graduating absentia though, thats a shame they cannot experience it as I imagine it was a magical day.
phd update, since shes on lower 2:1 (all has been marked now) and she says its unlikely oxford will let her in (plus she wants to be close to boyfriend by a cheapish train ride to west manchester). So shes applying to 3 projects in Manchester, 2 in Lancaster. Then shes emailed Liverpool as they have an lhcb group there, as well as Birmingham who are also advertising a place which is funded, and Sheffield have advertised lots but they are competition funded. One of her best friends is applying to Oxford though so shes been telling him all about it (hes going through the astrophysics route and on track for a first).

do enjoy reading your and Scotney’s posts

Quick Reply