The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
I teach in the UK and can tell you that it's FAR more common than you think sadly ...

I work in a school too and used to work as a careers adviser to A level students and I don't think it's close to 50%. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one
Original post by harrysbar
I work in a school too and used to work as a careers adviser to A level students and I don't think it's close to 50%. We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one

I didn't actually say it was close to 50% - it was you that used the word 'majority' which technically means 50.1%. I would say it's about a third and more in some schools my friends teach in.
With medicine for example you need to choose whether you want a problem based learning approach ( ie the give you a pretend patient and symptoms and you have to go away, do some research and surmise what is wrong with the patient. This is the exact opposite of the Oxford medicine degree. My son and I went all the way down to Plymouth to see if a pbl course was for him. The lecturer presented us with a specific case and I was quite excited about trying to solve the problem. However my son was a bit depressed by this approach so asked me if we could leave for home straight afterwards. I asked the lecturer afterwards what was actually wrong with the patient and she said she couldn’t remember????? The Oxford course, on the other hand goes into a lot of academic detail from the get go and you won’t step onto the wards for the first few years. If you are going to be spending a lot of time and money 💰 on something as important as medicine you have to make sure the course is one you will enjoy
Poor younger sons exams start tomorrow, fancy having two exams on bank holiday Monday, they last all week then he’s coming home briefly
Original post by Oxford Mum
Poor younger sons exams start tomorrow, fancy having two exams on bank holiday Monday, they last all week then he’s coming home briefly

Which college is he studying at?
Reply 85

Mine had his first exams on 24+25th April so decided to go back to college before Easter to prepare.
Original post by Muttley79
... and that parking around them is a nightmare. For example you can't drive into Balliol without permission to drive in the bus lane.

Getting into the spirits of parental priorities huh!

I wasn't aware you could drive into Balliol period - you certainly can't at most colleges! You can park directly outside Balliol main lodge (on Broad St) with no special permission though. It would be absolutely packed at the beginning and ends of term though.
Hi next time would you believe I get up at 4.30am to get a coveted parking spot at my son’s college. However this year is the last year he will be in college n. Next year he will be living at a College residence in iffley. Parking easier but I will miss the college vibe
Doones how did your son do in his exams? When does he find out the results? I wish him well
Muttley, my son is at oriel college ( near Christchurch) and my elder son has graduated from Exeter College. Both colleges are similar in age. Exeter is just over 700 years old. Oriel will celebrate 700 years fairly soon
Original post by nexttime
Getting into the spirits of parental priorities huh!

I wasn't aware you could drive into Balliol period - you certainly can't at most colleges! You can park directly outside Balliol main lodge (on Broad St) with no special permission though. It would be absolutely packed at the beginning and ends of term though.

I have driven into Balliol so it is possible - had to get permission and it wasn't to drop off a child.
Reply 91
Doones how did your son do in his exams? When does he find out the results? I wish him well

Afaik he still has one more to do, I think results are early July.
(And the same to your two :yy: )
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 92
This thread is a great idea, well done @Oxford Mum! It would have been so helpful 3 years ago when my child started. We didn't have a clue...I will check the thread from time-to-time and see if I can contribute.
Oh that would be great! This is exactly why I wanted to create this thread. I was lurking on the Oxford thread for years, wanted to join in but thought I would just sound like some embarrassing mum. Now I can still sound like an embarrassing mum, but on a thread away from the young ones.
Original post by PeteM01
This thread is a great idea, well done @Oxford Mum! It would have been so helpful 3 years ago when my child started. We didn't have a clue...I will check the thread from time-to-time and see if I can contribute.
Reply 94
A space for prospective and current Oxford parents to discuss all things Oxford

FYI I've added a permanent link to your thread from the parent room forum :biggrin:
Thanks doones, I didn’t know that existed!
Reply 96
Thanks doones, I didn’t know that existed!

Oh? You replied to a thread in it :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82781192#post82781192

It's a nice little forum and sometimes surprises the young'uns that parents are on TSR.
:ninja:
I’ve been lurking on tsr for years but too shy to post. Now you can’t shut me up...
Original post by Doones
Oh? You replied to a thread in it :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=82781192#post82781192

It's a nice little forum and sometimes surprises the young'uns that parents are on TSR.
:ninja:

I was surprised too when I joined TSR, it's nice. :smile:
The society of Concerned and Responsible Adults and Parents (C.R.A.P) just remembered this from a simpsons comic when i sawe the thread, in no way is meant to insult you guys. Keep slayin and get that bread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending