The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hugh's Swan
I remember for my own graduation, my friend’s parents took me and my father (my mother had passed away sadly a few months before) to a lovely place in the middle of Woodstock for graduation lunch - this was in the mid 1980s - but I can’t remember the name of it - it had lovely pine floors and was very rustic - could it have been the Feathers? Does anyone remember Woodstock then?

If where going as far out as Woodstock then Oxfordshire has tons of lovely little pubs: Chequers, Jolly boatman, The Bell, The Nut tree all closer than Woodstock and also worth a visit at least once. But Woodstock still has 5 or 6 lovely quaint pubs

But i forgot to mention earlier for the person looking for a nice restaurant soon, if you like a curry theirs a very good Indian just off George St opposite the Warhammer place called Chutneys which is excellent.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hugh's Swan
http://bittenoxford.co.uk/oxford-restaurants-of-the-past/

Lots of old names here. I also used to love ‘Heroes’ for ‘chicken in pitta bread’ for lunch, sometimes twice a day they were so delicious (the side street of Jesus I think) - two posh middle class ladies used to run it and played cool music like Sade non-stop.

They were obviously smooth operators ( I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Original post by ReadingMum
that is a blast from the past. I was a student '85-'88

Although the old Opium Den went to its ancestors or at least to Afro-Portuguese chicken, its considerably less successful modern incarnation remains, although for how much longer? It is up for sale:

https://assets.savills.com/properties/AC6DBDD8-0881-44F1-8C2B-41952D4CC933/Opium%20Den,%20Oxford%20-%20Nov%202019%20-%20v5.pdf

But don't tell anyone because the staff are unaware :shh:
Crikey there are some very well informed comments on this thread...

Unfortunately being a single mum I can’t quite spring for the Randolph, especially as both my sons and m’s girlfriend, plus a often brings a “surprise guest or two. This time there will be one surprise guest and I am trying to guess who it is. Plus they sometimes run into a friend and they come along for a drink. Also they may see someone they know and we join them. Would you get this vibe at the Randolph?

Non.
Thank you everyone for your help @OxfordMum I agree about the Randolph. Sounds lovely but perhaps that's one for a milestone event rather than a half term visit 🙂
Original post by OrielMum
Thank you everyone for your help @OxfordMum I agree about the Randolph. Sounds lovely but perhaps that's one for a milestone event rather than a half term visit 🙂

I always ask my crew where they would rather go for lunch, and the answer is always "The Turf Tavern".

Then on Sunday night we are celebrating my younger son's 21st and my elder son's 25th birthdays with a formal dinner at Oriel College.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I always ask my crew where they would rather go for lunch, and the answer is always "The Turf Tavern".

Then on Sunday night we are celebrating my younger son's 21st and my elder son's 25th birthdays with a formal dinner at Oriel College.

How lovely. You lucky thing. I will see if I can book the turf tavern, I think.
Original post by OrielMum
How lovely. You lucky thing. I will see if I can book the turf tavern, I think.

You can't book it. The best way to get a seat indoors is to queue just before midday.

Here's a menu

https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/oxfordshire/turf-tavern/menu/main-menu

Honestly, I deserve shares in this place...
You can't book it. The best way to get a seat indoors is to queue just before midday.

Here's a menu

That's brilliant! Thank you 🙂

Here's a menu

They should pay you because you promote it so much. That is, if they aren't already sliding notes into your back pocket...
Original post by WoodlandSorcerer
They should pay you because you promote it so much. That is, if they aren't already sliding notes into your back pocket...

I promote it a lot in my getting into Oxford book, "Oxford Demystified", which i regularly post on TSR.
While we are on the restaurant topic I may as well throw in our favourite for trips to Oxford. Son liked to get out of town so we started to go to The Trout at Godstow. It has a fantastic location on the river and is great for fine evenings in summer. You can watch the fish, or the water coming over the weir. They even have peacocks. Being refurbed till March but is worth a visit. Cosy inside too.
Ooh my elder son always wanted me to take him to the trout but I could never be bothered. Does that make me a bad mum?
Original post by Scotney
While we are on the restaurant topic I may as well throw in our favourite for trips to Oxford. Son liked to get out of town so we started to go to The Trout at Godstow. It has a fantastic location on the river and is great for fine evenings in summer. You can watch the fish, or the water coming over the weir. They even have peacocks. Being refurbed till March but is worth a visit. Cosy inside too.

I was meaning to recommend The Trout but I couldn't remember it's name :facepalm: Love The Trout! Pricey but as you say, it's a great location with peacocks :gah:

My absolutely fave place to eat in Oxford (now that Combibos is no more :cry2: :bawling: :rip: ) is Angrid Thai on Gloucester Green. It's not fancy at all - more canteen-style set-up/decor - but if you like proper Asian food (e.g. as a South Asian, I avoided Chutney's after an initial visit :tongue: ), it's a good place to go :ahee:
Ooh my elder son always wanted me to take him to the trout but I could never be bothered. Does that make me a bad mum?

No he could have gone there on the bus and had a long walk. Son did it many times when working on his dissertation project in Witham Woods! He would really enjoyed his beer after that hike! :biggrin:

Happy birthday to your sons :smile:
Thanks, have spoken to both sons today and they are excited to meet me on Sunday
Have a great day on Sunday @OxfordMum. I have said to my son that the Turf has been recommended and his reply was - oh good, I have heard good reports! So that's been given the big thumbs up. Thank you!
Really want to know why son would NEVER let us go to The Turf now? Right next to Wadham too? Was he secretly dating the barmaid? :dontknow:
Original post by Scotney
Really want to know why son would NEVER let us go to The Turf now? Right next to Wadham too? Was he secretly dating the barmaid? :dontknow:

He probably went there with his mates but was trying to get you to spend more money on him Scotney, if he's anything like my darling daughter :wink:

Quick Reply