The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Lancaster does have a lot of open spaces, so it should be safer than most places.
Original post by Ghostlady
Yes kind of :smile: Accommodation email to say the portal is open will be in June and they said it will be open for students come September unless things change. She is going for Townhouse with superior standard as 2nd choice. So Rhiannon will either be in Grizedale, County or Bowland College hopefully. She wont know until after a'level results day what flat she has, but regarding her physics, shes joined a group of 25-30 Lancaster physics freshers on facebook who are starting the same, time and they all meet on Zoom and do a Sunday night quiz, and chat most days now and all good friends already :smile:

This is their statement on Lancasters Q and A page on the coronavirus:
''Will the teaching be delivered online, on campus or a mixture?
We’re making sure we’re prepared for whatever happens. That means being ready to offer teaching, support services and access to our University community on campus, online or through a combination of both.

What this means is that you will still be able to engage with your programme effectively, and receive a high-quality learning experience, no matter what the circumstances.

We know that it’s not just the course content that’s important, and that your student experience is vital too. Across the University, we’re working to maximise the student experience while maintaining a safe environment for everyone.

If social distancing affects how we can use rooms, we will prioritise the face-to-face delivery of practical work, laboratory sessions and small group tutorials and seminars over those where social distancing will be more challenging (e.g. lectures).

We are also establishing a set of quality standards for online delivery, should it be required. And through our colleges, Students’ Union and support services, we’re making sure you have the pastoral support you need as well as ways to reach out to each other in our University community.

We are also lucky to have a green and spacious campus. This enables us to plan and organise our space to maximise the safety of our students and staff''

Sounds similar sort of set up your son has heard, so hopefully there will be some sort of contact and being on site in Oxford too :smile:

It sounds like she is getting all sorted. It is nice to hear someone is really looking forward to September. :u:
Original post by Scotney
It sounds like she is getting all sorted. It is nice to hear someone is really looking forward to September. :u:

She is. We was talking about Oxford yesterday and how she felt about getting up to interview stage last December and how she feels about it now. She said she enjoyed UNIQ at Balliol and staying at Jesus for the interview and loved her time there and will love the memories, she is looking forward to Lancaster. I think going up to Lancaster in February and being in contact with students in her course at the same time as her has really helped a lot to process Oxford. I would suggest that for anyone who did not get in as it's helped immensely. She said it wont stop applying there for a phd at Oxford in the future :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Yes kind of :smile: Accommodation email to say the portal is open will be in June and they said it will be open for students come September unless things change. She is going for Townhouse with superior standard as 2nd choice. So Rhiannon will either be in Grizedale, County or Bowland College hopefully. She wont know until after a'level results day what flat she has, but regarding her physics, shes joined a group of 25-30 Lancaster physics freshers on facebook who are starting the same, time and they all meet on Zoom and do a Sunday night quiz, and chat most days now and all good friends already :smile:

This is their statement on Lancasters Q and A page on the coronavirus:
''Will the teaching be delivered online, on campus or a mixture?
We’re making sure we’re prepared for whatever happens. That means being ready to offer teaching, support services and access to our University community on campus, online or through a combination of both.

What this means is that you will still be able to engage with your programme effectively, and receive a high-quality learning experience, no matter what the circumstances.

We know that it’s not just the course content that’s important, and that your student experience is vital too. Across the University, we’re working to maximise the student experience while maintaining a safe environment for everyone.

If social distancing affects how we can use rooms, we will prioritise the face-to-face delivery of practical work, laboratory sessions and small group tutorials and seminars over those where social distancing will be more challenging (e.g. lectures).

We are also establishing a set of quality standards for online delivery, should it be required. And through our colleges, Students’ Union and support services, we’re making sure you have the pastoral support you need as well as ways to reach out to each other in our University community.

We are also lucky to have a green and spacious campus. This enables us to plan and organise our space to maximise the safety of our students and staff''

Sounds similar sort of set up your son has heard, so hopefully there will be some sort of contact and being on site in Oxford too :smile:

The message from Cambridge is pretty similar. DD has been zooming with potential college and course mates for the last couple of weeks- technology has been a really import tool helping her to feel less isolated as we are both home but are working full time.
I am glad that the students seem to be talking to each other and getting on well already. I hope all our children enjoy their first terms at their unis, despite the restrictions.

My son’s first term in hospital should be intriguing. We really don’t know what it will be like but I think he is keen to get into hospital. I am glad we parents can keep supporting each other.
Original post by ReadingMum
The message from Cambridge is pretty similar. DD has been zooming with potential college and course mates for the last couple of weeks- technology has been a really import tool helping her to feel less isolated as we are both home but are working full time.

I'm glad that the students are reaching out, even at this early stage. So when it comes to working together on problem sheets etc, they feel they know each other enough to do them on Zoom etc. Looking like all lectures will be on line, but tutorials seminars and labs will be in person but socially distanced. Still wonder about how librarys are going to work and study areas. maybe they have to be 'booked out' in time slots possibly, and order a take out service on books so you just collect at the front? Lol all these rules and regulations do make you wonder how its going to work.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I am glad that the students seem to be talking to each other and getting on well already. I hope all our children enjoy their first terms at their unis, despite the restrictions.

My son’s first term in hospital should be intriguing. We really don’t know what it will be like but I think he is keen to get into hospital. I am glad we parents can keep supporting each other.

Oh wow Oxford mum is he working in hospital?:clap2:thats great :smile:
Prsom @Ghostlady
If the wards are not returned to normal and there is no teaching staff, the students will be in hospital doing the boring admin work and freeing up the doctors to take care of the patients during this difficult time.

I am pleased that this thread is now busy again and we parents can chat with each other about how we and our children are coping
You must be very proud seeing your son go on to his next chapter. They really aren't joking when they say time flies, are they!
Prsom @Ghostlady
If the wards are not returned to normal and there is no teaching staff, the students will be in hospital doing the boring admin work and freeing up the doctors to take care of the patients during this difficult time.

I am pleased that this thread is now busy again and we parents can chat with each other about how we and our children are coping

Every little helps, even if its doing the admin :smile: And yes i'm glad we can all keep updated. My youngest daughter has turned 15 this week and is currently at home. Hopefully she will be back at school by mid June to have some form of teaching for her G.C.S.E's. I'm working from home, and I think I will be for some time. My eldest is on Sunday quiz night with her uni friends. Its on a random team generator, so shes now talking to a young lady who is also starting in September at the moment to get to know her before they do the quiz. I'm enjoying the sunshine and plenty of walks in the local area. Been using https://footpathmap.co.uk/ to find local walks and its been very helpful finding new places to go. What has everyone been up to? working from home, furloughed, bored, DIY expert etc?
I have a flat tyre, so am not going anywhere soon! Please do not tell me your 15 year old wants to go to Oxford... you know how that sets me off on another project, lol
Working from home here but I already did that so not much has changed there. OH is also wfh so we see a lot more of him - he always worked late and had a commute but now he can't escape us :smile:
DD has sorted her room big time and dyed her hair various colours with and without my help. She has now started on a massive paint by numbers. She is still doing a uni targeted project set by school, revisiting her GCSE German, learning Japanese, teaching me piano, having sax and trumpet lessons via zoom, cooking and watching a lot of musical theatre on YouTube.
It was our 20th wedding anniversary and my birthday last week so she made me a carrot cake and a kilo of butter tablet - someone is going to have to roll me out of the door when we are finally let loose :smile:
I bought OH a Hebridean gin for our anniversary, he bought me a limited run Hendricks one for my birthday. Always buy a present you would be happy to receive.
Happy anniversary @ReadingMum! At least you both got the pressies you wanted, and I think it’s great your husband is spending more time at home.

My elder son is here too ( furloughed) and I would normally only see him at Christmas.

Glad your daughter is keeping herself busy. I have a friend who is always moaning about being bored but isn’t prepared to do anything about it. It’s driving me nuts!
Happy anniversary @ReadingMum! At least you both got the pressies you wanted, and I think it’s great your husband is spending more time at home

Me too. For the first couple of weeks he really hated it but he has got into the swing now and says he won't be going back to being fully office based even when they reopen the office. Result!
He refers to the cat as his coworker as his office is in the cat zone (where she is safe from the dogs). I get these weird texts (to my office at the bottom of the garden) saying things like 'my coworker has just thrown up in the printer'.
I have been working from home. My 3+ hour commute has been replaced with a gentle stroll to the spare bedroom 🙂
I am lucky to have a nice garden with a lot of colour. We have a blue tit nesting about 10 feet from the kitchen bi-folds, who tweet away if you get too near. So life could be a lot worse. I really feel for people in high rise flats at this time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by OrielMum
I have been working from home. My 3+ hour commute has been replaced with a gentle stroll to the spare bedroom 🙂
I am lucky to have a nice garden with a lot of colour. We have a blue tit nesting about 10 feet from the kitchen bi-folds, who tweet away if you get too near. So life could be a lot worse. I really feel for people in high rise flats at this time.

Just seen it was your anniversary @ReadingMum. Glad you had a good day..cake and gin. Doesn't get much better than that! You have made me feel old though as it's my 30th anniversary later this year 😂
I’m glad everyone is coping well working from home. It saves me about 3 hours per day.

Throwing up in printer- this reminds me of when I used to work for a bank and they had expensive new computers ( it was the very early 80s and they were new). We had the Xmas party in the office and some young daft employees threw up all over the computer
Just seen it was your anniversary @ReadingMum. Glad you had a good day..cake and gin. Doesn't get much better than that! You have made me feel old though as it's my 30th anniversary later this year 😂

Don't panic - I married at 33 !
Original post by ReadingMum
Don't panic - I married at 33 !

Happy anniversary! Looks like your daughter made your day special. And I'm sure the gin was pretty special too. Those years of wedded bliss creep up on us don't they? It's 25 years for me 😊. Plans for an overseas trip have been put on hold until c-19 Is under control.
I have a flat tyre, so am not going anywhere soon! Please do not tell me your 15 year old wants to go to Oxford... you know how that sets me off on another project, lol

Ouch i hope there is somewhere that can sort out your flat tyre. And no chance of the youngest wanting to go to Oxford. She wants to study zoology and its not at Oxford as an undergrad course. She did like Lancasters when she went to the eldests open day last July, but also loves Bangor due to its great research facilities on marine wildlife and Lincolns up there also.

(
Original post by ReadingMum)

Working from home here but I already did that so not much has changed there. OH is also wfh so we see a lot more of him - he always worked late and had a commute but now he can't escape us :smile:
DD has sorted her room big time and dyed her hair various colours with and without my help. She has now started on a massive paint by numbers. She is still doing a uni targeted project set by school, revisiting her GCSE German, learning Japanese, teaching me piano, having sax and trumpet lessons via zoom, cooking and watching a lot of musical theatre on YouTube.
It was our 20th wedding anniversary and my birthday last week so she made me a carrot cake and a kilo of butter tablet - someone is going to have to roll me out of the door when we are finally let loose :smile:
I bought OH a Hebridean gin for our anniversary, he bought me a limited run Hendricks one for my birthday. Always buy a present you would be happy to receive.

That's great shes keeping busy with lots of things. My eldest daughter still attends Nottingham astronomical society and watches the online lectures they do still. . We both have been members since 2013 and quite often bring out the telescope and see the stars on a clear night. And watching podcasts , and helping the youngest with physics and maths. And happy anniversary :smile:

Wow 3+ hours commute, that's quite a trip. Loving the birds right now. They seemed to have formed a little team in the back garden, you have one bathing in the bird bath, and ones eating from the bird seed feeder whilst 2 others are keeping watch; then they swap over :smile:

I am loving wfh. I get to sleep in and find that I'm far more productive from home than in the office. OH, DD and I each have our own 'space' and we get together for meals and at the end of the day for a chat. We are savouring the time left with DD - it's about 120 days before she leaves to Uni, that is if it opens for students on campus. Will miss her smiles, hugs and happy personality but know it's time cut the cord! DD1 went to the other place so i went through this 5 years ago and hard as it is, knowing that they will have the time of their lives, makes it all worthwhile.

Quick Reply

Latest