The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Hi my daughter has a few physics students in the large group, but a smaller groups of about 10 thats shes made good friends with and done quizzes and chats. They did this last week https://thepanicroomonline.net/collections/online-escape-rooms They did a CSI escape room and paid about £3.00 each and they loved it. One person logged in on laptop and shared it to everyone on zoom. They are going to do it again in another week or twos time.
Apparently they do talk about me on the medicine offer holders group sometimes, lol
Original post by Ghostlady
Your welcome. Jesus is an amazing college. She chose Merton but was allocated to Jesus for interview with St Hughs as the 2nd college interview place. ive got a blog/diary in the parents section https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6562744 and its from open days, to application, to interview and acceptance and will be posting on move in day etc.. Its post #8 which has Jesus college on there:smile:

with Lancaster you choose your college after you accept the offer in June. So she has chosen Grizedale college as her first choice and County college as second. and the couse is physics with particle physics and cosmology. Were going back there in August bank holiday hopefully for another walk round :smile:

I’ve just read your blog, what a fantastic insight into open days. Leeds is on my son’s list but we have never been there and I know he wants a campus uni, so your comments have made me wonder if it’s right for him....
Original post by Sarahozark987
I’ve just read your blog, what a fantastic insight into open days. Leeds is on my son’s list but we have never been there and I know he wants a campus uni, so your comments have made me wonder if it’s right for him....

I must admit, i was quite happy they had 3 night clubs on thier site. I felt my daughter could be quite safe with that. And the department was amazing. But the feeling wasnt right for her in the end. Leeds uni is about 10 mins walk away from the city centre. Im from Notts and Nottingham uni is great. its a busy city, but yet thier campus is stunning and about 20 mins bus away (nottingham uni). Notts trent is in the city. she didnt want local though lol :smile:
Original post by OrielMum
Really good advice @Ghostlady. My son's sixth form advised them to choose 2 stretch choices (one of those obviously being Oxbridge if that is a possibility), 2 comfortable choices ( with entrance requirements around predictions) and one comfortable option, just in case something doesn't quite go to plan.
Look at the different courses offered too. My son made the mistake of applying for the masters at Birmingham and at Oxford for Physics. The entrance criteria at Birmingham for the Batchelors was one grade lower, which would probably have been more sensible, As it turned out, he actually really liked Lancaster, so had that as his insurance choice.
So that's the other thing....go to all the Open days you can. We were all so surprised at how our opinions changed after actually seeing the places and hearing about the research they are doing etc. Lancaster blew us away and I really didn't want to like it as it's a 9 hour drive from home 🙂

So agree with this. We went to Exeter and absolutely hated it and then to Bristol not expecting to like it but loved the city and the course, but then we went to York and as you say I did not want to like it because it was so far away but the department was very impressive and pastoral care also very good. They even put on a separate programme for the parents for the offer holders day!It did pay off though as we came away knowing that would be his insurance choice. It is a lovely campus uni very green with a lake through the middle @Sarahozark987 but I do not know how it ranks for chemistry. He ended up doing his masters there after Oxford. Again lovely city to visit and they did campus tours at the end of August at that time.
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you for this. I had hoped to have been in the middle of open days at the moment. Instead, we have only been able to do virtual open days which really don’t give a feel for the place. But I think he has his shortlist of 5 now, all chosen without having visited😱. Missing school to go to open days in autumn (if they even go ahead then) isn’t ideal, so I was thinking it might be worth at least visiting the cities during the summer to get a feel for them and then perhaps waiting for offer holder days if he does get offers, with perhaps just one or two open days in autumn.
Did any of your kids go to offer holder days?

Hi,
If your son is sure of his top 5 choices that’s great but if not then I just want to add that you don’t have to fill in all your UCAS choices at the same time.
Once a choice has been made it can only be changed in the 1st 2 weeks, however you can add a choice at any time up to the deadline (usually 15 Jan)
My son could put 3 choices down to get the application in on time for Oxford and added one at a later date and it was treated equally in the application process.
Original post by Scotney
So agree with this. We went to Exeter and absolutely hated it and then to Bristol not expecting to like it but loved the city and the course, but then we went to York and as you say I did not want to like it because it was so far away but the department was very impressive and pastoral care also very good. They even put on a separate programme for the parents for the offer holders day!It did pay off though as we came away knowing that would be his insurance choice. It is a lovely campus uni very green with a lake through the middle @Sarahozark987 but I do not know how it ranks for chemistry. He ended up doing his masters there after Oxford. Again lovely city to visit and they did campus tours at the end of August at that time.

Same here - we only went to Liverpool as a day out from a holiday in the Lake District, not expecting much but covering the bases as there are just not that many vet schools. It immediately went to 1st choice, only later supplanted by Cambridge. We didn't want to like Liverpool as it is a long old journey from Reading- we just did. It is there as her insurance option.
Original post by Scotney

York is nice, and the interview day itself was brilliant . The students had lunch paid for and the parents had this huge buffet. Love the lake and Heslington hall. if my daughter had chosen York she would have gone to Alciun or Goodricke College. If anyone ends up in York,one of the best places to eat is the Golden Fleece pub. its 400 years old, great character and the food is amazing :smile:
I’m getting more confused! We originally had Edinburgh, oxford,warwick , Nottingham, Leeds and York on the list and knocked York off, can’t quite recall why now! Maybe it was harder to get to, less well known as a strong uni for the course, but it was all very marginal, no strong reasons. My son hasn’t visited any of them. I wonder how much of a feel he would get by visiting over summer when the unis are closed. Any views on this?

After reading the very helpful @Ghostlady blog, and all your various comments here, it seems like it is so important to visit places. I wonder if York should be back on the list! He definitely prefers a campus style uni. Although unis have open days in the diaries for September, I suspect they may well be cancelled due to Covid-19...
I’m getting more confused! We originally had Edinburgh, oxford,warwick , Nottingham, Leeds and York on the list and knocked York off, can’t quite recall why now! Maybe it was harder to get to, less well known as a strong uni for the course, but it was all very marginal, no strong reasons. My son hasn’t visited any of them. I wonder how much of a feel he would get by visiting over summer when the unis are closed. Any views on this?

After reading the very helpful @Ghostlady blog, and all your various comments here, it seems like it is so important to visit places. I wonder if York should be back on the list! He definitely prefers a campus style uni. Although unis have open days in the diaries for September, I suspect they may well be cancelled due to Covid-19...

Hi (not a parent) but a somewhat recent undergrad.

If you can visit over the summer I think it can only be beneficial to give yourself perspective of the facilities. I did that before after I missed an open day.

You won’t get to walk through the facilities or speak to staff but hopefully virtual open days can help fill in their.

The thing with most open days is they happen in July & September when undergrads aren’t actually on campus so any students you see are postgrad. So it’s probably not as big a deal missing out on the open day as you might imagine if you still visit. The only thing is the lack of atmosphere right now might be underwhelming.

All of these unis are excellent and all offer something slightly different to each other, best of luck! And if nothing else visiting will be a nice day out.
Original post by mnot
Hi (not a parent) but a somewhat recent undergrad.

If you can visit over the summer I think it can only be beneficial to give yourself perspective of the facilities. I did that before after I missed an open day.

You won’t get to walk through the facilities or speak to staff but hopefully virtual open days can help fill in their.

The thing with most open days is they happen in July & September when undergrads aren’t actually on campus so any students you see are postgrad. So it’s probably not as big a deal missing out on the open day as you might imagine if you still visit. The only thing is the lack of atmosphere right now might be underwhelming.

All of these unis are excellent and all offer something slightly different to each other, best of luck! And if nothing else visiting will be a nice day out.

Thank you, that’s really helpful and I hadn’t thought about the fact that undergrads wouldn’t be on the campuses anyway in July and September anyway! Will definitely plan to visit them all this summer, will be a nice thing to plan with my son!
Thank you, that’s really helpful and I hadn’t thought about the fact that undergrads wouldn’t be on the campuses anyway in July and September anyway! Will definitely plan to visit them all this summer, will be a nice thing to plan with my son!

As I said we visited York in August just for a campus tour and there were no undergrads there but my son still liked it so much he was already thinking of going for it as insurance. The town itself is totally worth the trip. Do the ghost walk. Great fun! Also nice to walk around the city walls and visit the Shambles. It is a nice weekend break.
I love York. It’s my favourite city in the north. No prizes, however, for guessing my favourite city in the south!!

Please find attached the link to our Oxford Demystified Choosing your college chapter. It includes a virtual video tour of each college, including their websites.

I notice an Oxford prospective visited frequently to see if the colleges were open for a visit, and they weren't. So if you want to visit later on in the summer, please ring the porters first and save yourself the journey if they are still closed. Meanwhile, feast your eyes on this little lot:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6468778&p=88379572#post88379572

Meanwhile, thanks, parents for supporting each other.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I love York. It’s my favourite city in the north. No prizes, however, for guessing my favourite city in the south!!

I feel as if I have missed out! I have never been to York. I have my holiday next year ( moved from this year, for obvious reasons) in Northumberland, so I may have to make a slight detour!
Original post by OrielMum
I feel as if I have missed out! I have never been to York. I have my holiday next year ( moved from this year, for obvious reasons) in Northumberland, so I may have to make a slight detour!

Try the national railway museum, Jorvik and my fave, the castle museum (with its recreated Victorian street). And that's before you talk about the minster, the shambles and the gorgeous architecture!
@Oxford Mum sorry to come onto the parents thread to ask, but I feel you might be able to answer my question having got two boys through Oxford! I'm starting this October (gap year applicant, unconditional offer) and I was wondering what you would recommend as a packing list for clothes, homeware etc? Hard to know what I need to start buying! Thank you
Original post by eg21200
@Oxford Mum sorry to come onto the parents thread to ask, but I feel you might be able to answer my question having got two boys through Oxford! I'm starting this October (gap year applicant, unconditional offer) and I was wondering what you would recommend as a packing list for clothes, homeware etc? Hard to know what I need to start buying! Thank you

Don't be sorry at all, you are welcome!

Pack casual clothes and fancy clothes for formals/events, especially if you are a lawyer and there are lots of functions. Get a gown as well from Shepherd and Woodward, (you can wait until you come up to Oxford for that) A couple of suits I would say. The kitchen will have lots of pots and pans, so don't worry about that. A few mugs and a teaspoon or two would be good. Oxford will supply a duvet but you will need a duvet cover.

I bought a printer for my son before he came up, but it was a bulky waste of money, because they had a printer in college. Some bring mini fridges but again if you don't think you need one, don't buy it. There are fridges in the kitchen. Don't bring too much, because you will only have to lug it all home with you at the end of the Michaelmas term!

The college will send you a list of cans/cannot brings anyway nearer the time.

Hopefully now that its allowed to have open air venues can have concerts and such the like you will be able to at least walk round campus and they may provide some sort of an open day come september fingers crossed..
We visited Leeds on open day, but prior to that we went to leeds uni after a trip to a medical museum about 3 months before so she got a feel for the place.

100% visit in the summer hols.

You can do a York/Leeds combined day:
York, you can walk round the lake, the colleges, Heslington halls grounds.Nisa is open as well as Park central which is open with a reduced menu.
With Leeds, you can walk around and the Refectory (which is the restaurant where we had a jacket potato) is open as a take away service 9am-2pm

York and Leeds are linked by the A64 so once you get onto that road, its just straight until you get to the turn off for the uni, so spend a couple of hours at one and the same with the other. :smile:
Original post by Ghostlady
Hopefully now that its allowed to have open air venues can have concerts and such the like you will be able to at least walk round campus and they may provide some sort of an open day come september fingers crossed..
We visited Leeds on open day, but prior to that we went to leeds uni after a trip to a medical museum about 3 months before so she got a feel for the place.

100% visit in the summer hols.

You can do a York/Leeds combined day:
York, you can walk round the lake, the colleges, Heslington halls grounds.Nisa is open as well as Park central which is open with a reduced menu.
With Leeds, you can walk around and the Refectory (which is the restaurant where we had a jacket potato) is open as a take away service 9am-2pm

York and Leeds are linked by the A64 so once you get onto that road, its just straight until you get to the turn off for the uni, so spend a couple of hours at one and the same with the other. :smile:

And I thought I was a good uni visits planner!

Quick Reply