The Student Room Group

Oxford Parents Association

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnot
Im fairly sure it will, Ofqual have said that prior student attainment of past students will be used to model each centres typical student progression & this years cohorts prior attainment data at each centre will also be considered. Teachers have also submitted a rank order of the students for every subject.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/903953/Summer_2020_grades_for_GCSE_AS_and_A_level_Extended_Project_Qualification_27072020.pdf

Yes, I'm sure they will - I hope they more weight is given to them rather than the historic performance of my daughter's school, which hasn't been particularly good - unlike some other local (state) schools there is no minimum GCSE pass requirement to study certain A level subjects. It would be unfair if my daughter was prejudiced as a result of this, although I am conscious, from recent press reports (notably last Saturday's Times), that Oxford are mindful of this
Original post by Wilma W.
But do you trust covid statistics? I have my reservations about them.
Has any of you watched Freddy Sayer's interviews? UnHerd Lockdown tv-->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxLDJJb1_KI

I really like his style, clear headed, well balanced and a top of the class interviewer with his professionalism and politeness. (Oxford graduate by the way:biggrin:)

Hi wilma :smile: because it fluctuates up and down during the week as a whole, I tend to go to my local newpaper the Nottingham evening post and they list each borough and its daily figures. Touchwood we havent had a case in quite a while in our borough, although that can easily change when people move about.

Original post by ReadingMum
I will be glad when the grade uncertainty is over too. My daughter changed school for 6th form so I have no idea what effect that has on all the cohort comparison stuff. She did 9-1 GCSEs whereas everyone else in her 6th form did A*-F iGCSEs. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

Original post by E's Dad
My daughter did the A*-F GCSEs - she also sat AS levels at the end of lower 6th - I'm hoping that these will have been taken into account

Daughters grades were 9-1 on G.C.S.E's and did the AS levels. Theres so many different things riding on this, what with mocks, assessments, previous school grades, AS levels, G.C.S.E's, Its so hard to gauge how its going to to turn out. Got my fingers crossed for everyone :smile:
I will be glad when the grade uncertainty is over too. My daughter changed school for 6th form so I have no idea what effect that has on all the cohort comparison stuff. She did 9-1 GCSEs whereas everyone else in her 6th form did A*-F iGCSEs. It seemed like a good idea at the time!

The suspension of the wait was bad enough for them (and us) when there was no similar uncertainty, so I can really empathise with you all now. I hope it goes well for everyone involved!
DS took half of his GCSEs early, all of them A*-F at the time, while his second lot was a mixture of 9-1 and A*-F, but this rather chaotic looking collection of grades did not seem to matter for Oxford, so fingers crossed for you too:-)
Original post by E's Dad
Yes, I'm sure they will - I hope they more weight is given to them rather than the historic performance of my daughter's school, which hasn't been particularly good - unlike some other local (state) schools there is no minimum GCSE pass requirement to study certain A level subjects. It would be unfair if my daughter was prejudiced as a result of this, although I am conscious, from recent press reports (notably last Saturday's Times), that Oxford are mindful of this

I suspect the algorithm will remain proprietary so we'll never know how much weight everything carried.

But If your daughters prior attainment is at the upper echelon of the schools cohort and her teachers rank her as a high performer relative to her subject colleagues logic would dictate she would be at her classes top end of achievement.

Unfortunately you just wont know till results day. Best of luck!
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi wilma :smile: because it fluctuates up and down during the week as a whole, I tend to go to my local newpaper the Nottingham evening post and they list each borough and its daily figures. Touchwood we havent had a case in quite a while in our borough, although that can easily change when people move about.

Ah, I see.
Well, I must admit I don't look at any kinds of health statistics:-) I just go along on the basis of what I experience through my own 'micro-cosmos':-)
Original post by Wilma W.
The suspension of the wait was bad enough for them (and us) when there was no similar uncertainty, so I can really empathise with you all now. I hope it goes well for everyone involved!
DS took half of his GCSEs early, all of them A*-F at the time, while his second lot was a mixture of 9-1 and A*-F, but this rather chaotic looking collection of grades did not seem to matter for Oxford, so fingers crossed for you too:-)

Our daughter was lucky in that she took quite a few of her GCSEs a year early - being sceptical, and with hind sight, it appeared to be a way for the school to improve it's GCSE statistics by getting the more able pupils in the school to take GCSEs a year early - many decided to retake - thankfully my daughter didn't and it probably helped her in her year 5 at secondary school by taking relatively fewer exams, although 14 in total, with hind sight, was excessive. The collection of A level results will, like many things at present, be different this year, with appointments having to be made to pick up the results!!
School is not opening for results - they will just get an email. Teachers will be there for those that need help but for the rest there is no contact at all
School is not opening for results - they will just get an email. Teachers will be there for those that need help but for the rest there is no contact at all

That's tough for the pupils. I would imagine the teachers will feel odd too

That's a shame. Perhaps with my daughter attending a secondary school in a semi rural area they've been able to open, albeit at booked time slots, to give out/go through the results. It won't be the same for them, but in the light of what is going on at present we're not surprised and cannot complain
Cambridge > Oxford
Daughters school has 2 time slots.8.15-9am for anyone who has a conditional offer but has not heard from UCAS, and 9am-11am for alevel students who have heard from UCAS /unconditional. They got the 2 meter spots and at both entrances where they can queue, and there are toilets so the students can wash their hands on the way in and in addition sanitize before they go to the main hall.
Has anyone got any plans to celebrate on the day/that weekend? :smile:
We will be going out for a nice dinner on the Saturday - daughter is spending the results day with her closest friends, socially distant!
Original post by Ghostlady
Daughters school has 2 time slots.8.15-9am for anyone who has a conditional offer but has not heard from UCAS, and 9am-11am for alevel students who have heard from UCAS /unconditional. They got the 2 meter spots and at both entrances where they can queue, and there are toilets so the students can wash their hands on the way in and in addition sanitize before they go to the main hall.
Has anyone got any plans to celebrate on the day/that weekend? :smile:

My daughter has a slot at 9am with the Head Mistress of the school. She's planning to have a few drinks with a few friends in our garden, from mid morning - I think (& hope) that may continue for the rest of the day!
[I've got a bottle of scotch lined up and I'm hoping to be "well relaxed" by mid afternoon on the 13th - I've booked work off for the 13th & the 14th!!]
Original post by E's Dad
My daughter has a slot at 9am with the Head Mistress of the school. She's planning to have a few drinks with a few friends in our garden, from mid morning - I think (& hope) that may continue for the rest of the day!
[I've got a bottle of scotch lined up and I'm hoping to be "well relaxed" by mid afternoon on the 13th - I've booked work off for the 13th & the 14th!!]

I will have everything crossed for you. Hoping you have a great day!🤞🤞
Sounds great :smile: hopefully when my cars fixed and theres no local lockdowns, we will be going to cornwall on the 14th. If not fixed, I will be hiring a car lol. My sisters getting married that week too and some of my daughters friends are away, so daughters planning to celebrate end of August.
I hope you all have cause to celebrate on a level results day. Whatever the outcome, you have our love and support.
good luck everyone. I feel your stress.
The stress level here waiting for 'results' and decision by 'the new university' are far worse than waiting for actual A level results where the grade would be down to the candidate's actual performance in the exams.
The chat groups seem to be stressing a bit, and Cambridge vet school has said that most practicals are going to be online this year (as well as all lectures) so no one really understands how that can work. Hopefully she will get to see.
Thank you Cambridge ladies, for gracing this thread. All my love and best wishes to you
we didn't really manage to gather much momentum on the Cambridge parents thread

Quick Reply