Woman avoids jail for 'being a woman' Watch

Vishnu Nair
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is class still that much of a thing, though?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Interesting you mention gender and race but not class.
Class is one of the biggest disparities in sentencing
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I'm not sure where that common knowledge came from tbh [perhaps my mother said it to me when i was little or something like that]

but i have evidence to support my claim

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....ntences/latest

"in every year during the same period, White offenders were given the shortest custodial sentences on average, and Asian or Black offenders were given the longest"

Spoiler:
Show
although [and i don't know if I should be admitting this but I did also find some evidence that the conviction rates of whites is higher than blacks [which surprised me]

so it seems like blacks get longer sentences but whites get convicted more

"

actually I've just seen further down the page a chart comparing the length of time served of all races and genders and I was very close in what i initially said about white women having it easiest [mixed women just piped them to the post!]
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
The modern judiciary comprises very intelligent people, so I have to presume good faith these things.
For someone so intelligent it seems foolish to make the remarks that she did.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
For someone so intelligent it seems foolish to make the remarks that she did.
I ask only for the benefit of the doubt, until we get the full context and an explanation. Thank you, Ms Deca.
Decahedron
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
I ask only for the benefit of the doubt, until we get the full context and an explanation. Thank you, Ms Deca.
I will only give her the benefit of the doubt because the MoJ is on its knees due to lack of funding.
z-hog
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Big thing, what about the woman who killed her husband and was recently released because of the 'abusive relationship'? She wasn't even pissed and were a bloke to be in the same situation we would have the court picketed by the feminists and the BBC.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Top comment, and succinctly put.
(Original post by the bear)
:girl:+ :beerglass:+:auto: = :proud::hugs:
:beard:+ :beerglass:+:auto: = :mob:
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Top comment, and succinctly put.
cheers OM

:beer:
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Class still a factor in sentencing if you had 2 eighteen-year-old white British lads who both got caught dealing class A drugs one lad a middle-class well-spoken university student who was dealing to his classmates the other lad working class poorly spoken and unemployed. Who do you think is going to get the harsh sentence the working class lad of course.
(Original post by Vishnu Nair)
Is class still that much of a thing, though?
mike44
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by looloo2134)
Class still a factor in sentencing if you had 2 eighteen-year-old white British lads who both got caught dealing class A drugs one lad a middle-class well-spoken university student who was dealing to his classmates the other lad working class poorly spoken and unemployed. Who do you think is going to get the harsh sentence the working class lad of course.
These statistics are even more stark when a young person or young adult of 18-20 years of age has been in the care system.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
They want equality where it suits them.. sums up feminism
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yes that true but it also true the working lad is more likely to have spent time in the care system than the middle-class lad so he not only working class but spent time in the care system which means the cards are against him.
(Original post by mike44)
These statistics are even more stark when a young person or young adult of 18-20 years of age has been in the care system.
barror1
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
I can't think of what the justification is?
Ever heard of the Chivalry thesis? It is an interesting read in Sociology and may explain what is going on here
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (311)
37.61%
No - but I will (64)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (390)
47.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise