OCR A: AS Further Mathematics: Statistics (paper 2) 16th May 2019 Watch

Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by maths6789)
Which past papers/ textbook questions address these topics? I need about 58 in both mechanics and statistics to get an A* prediction after that horrible pure paper.
Same here. I'm trying to think of the worst case scenario for Pure to see how many marks I'll need for Stats + Mechs. Assuming similar boundaries to last year that's like 42 on each paper and I just really hope that's manageable and that the Stats/Mechs papers are not too nasty.

Please OCR give us some nice papers!!
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Fat chance there!

Is your mech on Friday? Discretes tomorrow so we have a double bill but at least it's over then.
(Original post by Loci Pi)
Same here. I'm trying to think of the worst case scenario for Pure to see how many marks I'll need for Stats + Mechs. Assuming similar boundaries to last year that's like 42 on each paper and I just really hope that's manageable and that the Stats/Mechs papers are not too nasty.

Please OCR give us some nice papers!!
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by DerivativeName)
Fat chance there!

Is your mech on Friday? Discretes tomorrow so we have a double bill but at least it's over then.
My mechanics is on Monday. That sounds tough having 2 papers on the same day - good luck
Last edited by Loci Pi; 6 days ago
Masterchief1345
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
So what did everyone think about it?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
seabasssss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It was okay except the last question. Got n=7? Others got n=6
(Original post by Masterchief1345)
sarunthan87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
The stats went worse than the pure for me I got n=6 which is wrong as n=7 is the right value as I put the value for n-1 which is 6 and then i messed up earlier and made some stupid mistakes
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I misread a number in the last question but my working was correct, hopefully there should be some method marks.
Overall, I felt that exam went MUCH better than pure but I felt it was slightly more difficult than last years Stats paper. Worst case scenario I'd say would be 51/60 if they decide to mark harshly and don't give me any method marks for the last one.

Btw what did everyone get for the find the value of P that had 4/25 in the question? My class are arguing over the answer to that one.
Last edited by Loci Pi; 5 days ago
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Do you think the boundaries will be lower or higher than last year's?
seabasssss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

I misread a number in the last question but my working was correct, hopefully there should be some method marks.
Overall, I felt that exam went MUCH better than pure but I felt it was slightly more difficult than last years Stats paper. Worst case scenario I'd say would be 51/60 if they decide to mark harshly and don't give me any method marks for the last one.

Btw what did everyone get for the find the value of P that had 4/25 in the question? My class are arguing over the answer to that one.
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Not too bad. Though anything seems fine now my anal virginity has been taken hard by that Discrete paper

(Original post by Masterchief1345)
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by seabasssss)
Good! That's what I got too! Thank you
Some people in my class thought the question was about the binomial distribution and got some some weird answer with loads of decimal places so I got worried in case I'd read it wrong!
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

p=0.6, i did it a long way and solved a cubic getting p to be 0,1.4 or 0.6. It trivially cannot be 0 and as it’s a proportion it is less than 1, leaving 0.6
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarunthan87)
p=0.6, i did it a long way and solved a cubic getting p to be 0,1.4 or 0.6. It trivially cannot be 0 and as it’s a proportion it is less than 1, leaving 0.6
Good that's my answer too Everyone I know seemed to have different answers so I thought I'd made a mistake somewhere! That's reassuring.
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
How did people answer the question where It was comment on the scores of the students ? I was confused as it suddenly became a negative correlation with only 10 student students
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
How did people answer the question where It was comment on the scores of the students ? I was confused as it suddenly became a negative correlation with only 10 student students
Same here my value of r was negative too! Then I panicked that I'd made a mistake and I checked the calculation for the PMCC like 3 times lol
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Same!!! I wrote some stupid reason like theres a large range of scores so the scores are very different between students and so it’s not a reliable linear relationship but I was genuinely so concerned Id forgotten basic pmcc calculations lol
Same here my value of r was negative too! Then I panicked that I'd made a mistake and I checked the calculation for the PMCC like 3 times lol
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Same!!! I wrote some stupid reason like theres a large range of scores so the scores are very different between students and so it’s not a reliable linear relationship but I was genuinely so concerned Id forgotten basic pmcc calculations lol
I can't even remember what I put for the description of the scores bit! I just waffled on about what the r value I found meant. Then I wrote another sentence which I have since forgotten!
etotheipi1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
What did everyone get for the Poisson and the middle part of the beads questions? I remember something x10-3 for the second Poisson part.
Last edited by etotheipi1; 5 days ago
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by etotheipi1)
What did everyone get for the Poisson and beads questions? I remember something x10-3 for the second Poisson part.
Don't worry - so did I and several other people in my class I think it's correct.
etotheipi1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't worry - so did I and several other people in my class I think it's correct.
Cool. I misstepped in the last question by thinking that only adjacent positions could switch so instead of the probability being (nc2 + 1)/n! I got (n)/n!, which led to a result of 6 instead of 7 but the rest of the method was exactly the same. Do you think that will still get any marks?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (57)
27.27%
The paper was reasonable (77)
36.84%
Not feeling great about that exam... (40)
19.14%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
16.75%

Watched Threads