OCR A: AS Further Mathematics: Statistics (paper 2) 16th May 2019 Watch

sarunthan87
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by etotheipi1)
Cool. I misstepped in the last question by thinking that only adjacent positions could switch so instead of the probability being (nc2 + 1)/n! I got (n)/n!, which led to a result of 6 instead of 7 but the rest of the method was exactly the same. Do you think that will still get any marks?
I did that - i used spearman’s rank to get that - I’m hoping for 1 mark as I misinterpreted that like you! Someone else I knew did the same thing
Loci Pi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by etotheipi1)
Cool. I misstepped in the last question by thinking that only adjacent positions could switch so instead of the probability being (nc2 + 1)/n! I got (n)/n!, which led to a result of 6 instead of 7 but the rest of the method was exactly the same. Do you think that will still get any marks?
I don't know. I was rushing that one because I only had 4 minutes left so I made some stupid arithmetic error half way through and got a wrong answer. Hopefully we'll both still get some method marks if OCR are feeling generous
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone remember a question early on where it was like spearman’s rank < 1 and there were 9 rankings. did the question ask for the smallest possible value of spearman’s rank or largest — I think I did the opposite?

Also - for like Q1, was anyone else wondering why the expectation was worth 1 mark but the variance was worth 2 marks? I thought I had missed something...?
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by sarunthan87)
Does anyone remember a question early on where it was like spearman’s rank < 1 and there were 9 rankings. did the question ask for the smallest possible value of spearman’s rank or largest — I think I did the opposite?

Also - for like Q1, was anyone else wondering why the expectation was worth 1 mark but the variance was worth 2 marks? I thought I had missed something...?
It asked for the largest that was less than 1. I did the same at first and thought it wanted smallest but then I quickly changed it towards the end. I got something like 0.983 or similar.

And yeah that thing in Q1 threw me so I kept checking it to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
DerivativeName
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think it was largest spearman's under 1. I hope so anyway as that's what I did

Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by DerivativeName)
I think it was largest spearman's under 1. I hope so anyway as that's what I did
Same here. Did you get something like 0.983 or similar?
Last edited by Loci Pi; 1 week ago
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Loci Pi)
Ahh lol yeah i got the same so I did it right but it sounds wrong because, you first find that sum of d^2 > 0. The next possible value for it take is n=2 and then subbed that in.
DerivativeName
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I think so but I did write it down in the last second

Loci Pi
Rep:
?
Yeah I think so but I did write it down in the last second
That's good! Thank you
seabasssss
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Got 59/60 which would be 0.983 so you are right
Last edited by seabasssss; 1 week ago
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
59/60 is 0.98333.... though?
Yeah but we were told to round it to either 3 sf or 4 sf, if you didn't round it and just wrote a long answer like 0.98333333 they can take away marks for not rounding. Either giving the exact fraction or 3 sf would be fine though
sarunthan87
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah but we were told to round it to either 3 sf or 4 sf, if you didn't round it and just wrote a long answer like 0.98333333 they can take away marks for not rounding. Either giving the exact fraction or 3 sf would be fine though
I put it to 3sf but yeah 59/60 is definitely that value either way - okay this paper didn’t go as bad as I initially felt so I’m glad
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
I put it to 3sf but yeah 59/60 is definitely that value either way - okay this paper didn’t go as bad as I initially felt so I’m glad
Same here. Today's paper has been a bit of reassurance for me in case Mechanics on Monday goes badly. I'm glad u found the paper okay
TJM4
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What distribution did people use for the beads question?
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by TJM4)
What distribution did people use for the beads question?
For the algebraic part that was like 5 marks (to find the value of P) that was Geometric Distribution and the answer was 3/5 (well probably anyway - like 4 people on here agreed it was)
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
So what does everyone estimate for the Stats boundaries for an A?

I reckon it will be between 41-43 for an A, so similar to last year's boundaries.
DerivativeName
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You think? I think it'll be higher. It was much easier than the pure and I don't see that boundary being lower than 40. Also I I found it easier than the 2018 paper think it'll be 45-48, similar to last year's core paper(47)
So what does everyone estimate for the Stats boundaries for an A?

I reckon it will be between 41-43 for an A, so similar to last year's boundaries.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
You think? I think it'll be higher. It was much easier than the pure and I don't see that boundary being lower than 40. Also I I found it easier than the 2018 paper think it'll be 45-48, similar to last year's core paper(47)
Yeah most people in my class found it similar to last year's paper, maybe a little bit easier. Personally I found it slightly easier than last year, so I thought the boundaries would be similar, maybe 1 or 2 marks higher. But lots of people on here seem to have found it easier than last year so the boundaries will probably be higher than I thought.
Your estimate for the boundaries seems good though
maths6789
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The question is what the grade boundaries for the pure will be? I totally messed that one up. I think it'll be 32-just a bit lower than last year's mechanics.
Loci Pi
Rep:
?
(Original post by maths6789)
The question is what the grade boundaries for the pure will be? I totally messed that one up. I think it'll be 32-just a bit lower than last year's mechanics.
That would actually be fantastic if the Pure boundaries were that low, but I doubt they will be. I ran out of time on pure so that's messed me up! I predict it will be around 41 or 42 out of 60 for an A in Pure, knowing OCR I doubt it will be lower than 40
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.47%
The paper was reasonable (391)
46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.47%
It was TERRIBLE (111)
13.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed