The Student Room Group

Transferring from University of Edinburgh to St Andrews??

I received an unconditional offer from both St. Andrews and Edinburgh. It was a very difficult decision but I decided to go with Edinburgh due to the location. I am just finishing my second semester of first year and totally regretting my decision. My course is fine, I’m still enjoying biology, it’s just the social aspects and university life.

I messed up my application for uni accommodation and ended up in private, this put me at a disadvantage socially and it seems most people on my course have befriended those they met in accommodation. I’ve met a couple of good friends but overall I feel terribly lonely and out of place. This may be enhanced by the fact that I come from a small school on an island.

It seems only first years can stay in university accommodation and I’m still not sure where I’ll be living next year. I would much rather be in with students and making friends. In St. Andrews you can stay in uni accommodation any year.

I visit St. Andrews quite often because my boyfriend goes there and I really like it there. (My regrets are nothing to do with wanting to spend more time with him). I like the fact that there’s a community and the university and accommodations are all close. Whereas in Edinburgh the uni and accommodations are spread throughout the city. There’s so many people here and there’s no real sense of community, if I meet someone I get on well with I never really see them again.

I knew I may have a better first and second year at St. Andrews but may be bored in the small town by 4th year. However, I’m pretty unhappy and completely out my comfort zone at Edinburgh that potentially being bored for for the final year doesn’t seem that bad.

I’m not sure if I should stick it out in Edinburgh and hope things get better or if I should look into transferring for second year at St. Andrews.
Hey!

Sorry to hear you're having a tough go of it.

I would double check that you can't stay in past first year before making a large decision like this. The rules may be different where you are, but I'm in my 2nd year (but technically a 3rd year) and still living in student halls.

I would also like to let you know that halls isn't the be-all and end-all. Most of my good friends are actually just from people on my course. A big part of making friends is not waiting for people to come to you or expecting friendship to blossom, but really just making an effort with people.

Have you thought about things like societies? They're great for making friends, having people who do the same thing with you, etc.

The last thing I would mention is that living out of your comfort zone usually makes you grow as a person. I moved six hours away from where I used to live, came to Sheffield Hallam, and was forced to grow as a person. Because friendships and other things didn't just appear instantly in my life, I was forced to step out and make friends -- get involved with things -- generally increasing my confidence as a person.

Think carefully on your decision - if you feel like it's best for you then in truth, you will probably know if it's the right decision to make!

Josh :biggrin:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m totally stuck with this decision, and this indecisiveness is making it very difficult to focus on studying. I think even if St. Andrews rejected me I would be able to accept I’m here and focus, but it’s the “what if” that’s throwing me off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending