Emma_LouiseH
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I am wondering if you can actually switch universities like to any of the London ones for a BA Law or would you have to take more of the BA Law first before being able to apply? How would it work? Anyone got any advice?

More info: I switched to BA Hons Law at my current university but considering switching universities and don't know how it would work or if it even can??
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Emma_LouiseH)
I am wondering if you can actually switch universities like to any of the London ones for a BA Law or would you have to take more of the BA Law first before being able to apply? How would it work? Anyone got any advice?

More info: I switched to BA Hons Law at my current university but considering switching universities and don't know how it would work or if it even can??
you've done the first year and you want to transfer?
Emma_LouiseH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Yes.
(Original post by claireestelle)
you've done the first year and you want to transfer?
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Generally difficult, unless you start over in year 1. Only way you will know is by asking the unis directly.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
So to be clear, did you take the first year of the law degree, or another degree, and you are now being permitted to switch to law; or did you do the first year of another degree, switch to the first year of a law degree, and now want to change uni?

No matter what, I would strongly recommend you speak with Student Finance England about any potential financial ramifications of such a decision; depending on how long you have been studying in HE, you may not have enough funding to cover the rest of the course if you change now. You should also be aware that in that case, you would need to self-fund for the first year(s) you wouldn't be able to be funded for i.e. the next academic year, if that were the case. This is doubly an issue if you have started on a law degree somewhere, in case you needed to take a year or two out to save up money to pay for that, as to earn a qualifying law degree it needs to be completed within 7 years of starting it.

Bear in mind also, there is no guarantee you will be able to transfer into what would be the "next" year of the degree were you to continue at your current uni; the new university might require you to start again from first year. This, again, may have financial consequences, and also the above note about finishing the law degree in 7 years. Additionally, you will need to apply, normally either in open competition with school leavers to start in first year again, or to try and transfer into a higher year which may well be dependent on other students having left the course providing space for you. There is no guarantee you might get in, and some universities may not consider applications from students already at another university (and would require you withdraw from your course before applying), or might only consider applications from those with extenuating circumstances requiring they leave their current university to be based in another location.

Generally speaking, transferring universities is possible in the UK, but it's fairly non-standard and very much dependent on the individual circumstances. It's generally not worthwhile transferring to try and "trade up" universities compared to just finishing your degree at your current university then doing a masters at a "better" university to get that name on your CV.
Emma_LouiseH
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I switched from a different degree during my first year to a Bachelor Hons degree in Law. I will be studying here until 2023 if I continue at this university; that is just as an undergraduate before I will have to take at least another year or two for post-graduate; so I'll have finished university completely around about 2024/2025. I already know about the ramifications that this will potentially cause me as I have already spoken to Student Finance due to the switch.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Well you have the option of taking the new SQE rather than doing the LPC, if you aim to become a solicitor. So there is not any requirement to do further postgrad work unless you choose to do so (e.g. an LLM, or you decide to do the LPC instead of take the SQE), at least to become a solicitor. For becoming a barrister it is still the old route.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?