OCD with exam papers Watch

Delilah23
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m currently in year 12 studying physics chemistry and philosophy and ethics and wanting to study physics at uni.
We take lots of test in physics( about two every 4 weeks) we recently took a mock in it and I only got an E and this is partly because I struggle with timings- let me explain. So, I’ll be on a question on the exam and if I’m not sure how to do it or can’t think of anything to write down I’ll sit and try and answer that question for as long as it takes me, I find it difficult to move on to a different question if the one before is blank it just feels unfinished and irritates me and I then struggle to concentrate for the rest of the exam. I want to speak to my teacher about it because I’m worried he’ll think I’m weird but I don’t know what to do. Any advice ?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
_Leviathan_
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Speak to your teacher. It’s not weird to ask your teacher if you’re having problems with time management in an exam. You’re teacher is there to help and guide you in any way possible.

Another tip would be to do practice papers (I know you’ve heard this over and over) but it’s the best way to improve your time management and question answering.

Good luck for your exams
Delilah23
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Leviathan_)
Speak to your teacher. It’s not weird to ask your teacher if you’re having problems with time management in an exam. You’re teacher is there to help and guide you in any way possible.

Another tip would be to do practice papers (I know you’ve heard this over and over) but it’s the best way to improve your time management and question answering.

Good luck for your exams
Thank you, I just really struggling building up the courage to move on to a different question. I think it’s maybe some sort of OCD.
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it just in exams or would you get a similar feeling from having to skip questions on things like quizzes (eg, on a trivia site like Sporcle)?

If trivia quizzes do trigger it, they might be useful as a practice tool for getting used to leaving blanks and moving on.
Delilah23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Neilos)
Is it just in exams or would you get a similar feeling from having to skip questions on things like quizzes (eg, on a trivia site like Sporcle)?

If trivia quizzes do trigger it, they might be useful as a practice tool for getting used to leaving blanks and moving on.
It’s mainly just exams, it also happens in lessons when we get given question booklets but I don’t get as stressed by it as I know there not as important as exams
Lenanais
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I struggle with what I assume is some form of OCD, I don’t want to self diagnose though haha, and I had a similar thing with exams.

I study literature and had this odd thing where i’d check I got the quote right a load of times (in one exam I spent half an hour checking one quote over and over) and I have a similar thing where I have to complete a question in order before I could move onto the next.

This likely isn’t what you want to hear but there isn’t much you can do other than ignoring how you feel and just moving on anyway. Which I know it so so hard when your brain doesn’t let it go but eventually that particular ‘quirk’ of yours may disappear. However, if it really is OCD you may need to get it checked out and you might be able to find out if it’s the anxiety of the exam getting to you. Hopefully then you’ll find a way to cope with that anxiety.

It’s an extremely complex issue really, which sucks because I wish I could help more — exams are awful.
Delilah23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lenanais)
I struggle with what I assume is some form of OCD, I don’t want to self diagnose though haha, and I had a similar thing with exams.

I study literature and had this odd thing where i’d check I got the quote right a load of times (in one exam I spent half an hour checking one quote over and over) and I have a similar thing where I have to complete a question in order before I could move onto the next.

This likely isn’t what you want to hear but there isn’t much you can do other than ignoring how you feel and just moving on anyway. Which I know it so so hard when your brain doesn’t let it go but eventually that particular ‘quirk’ of yours may disappear. However, if it really is OCD you may need to get it checked out and you might be able to find out if it’s the anxiety of the exam getting to you. Hopefully then you’ll find a way to cope with that anxiety.

It’s an extremely complex issue really, which sucks because I wish I could help more — exams are awful.
Thank you so much !
When I’m exams and I mentally know I need to move on to a new question as I’m running out of time I physically can’t as it didn’t feel right.
I want to speak to my teacher about it but I don’t know how to bring the subject up and not really sure how to explain it without him thinking I’m weird 😐
Redslayed
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try get extra time in your exams
Delilah23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Redslayed)
Try get extra time in your exams
I already get extra time and I still run out.
Lenanais
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Delilah23)
I already get extra time and I still run out.
Exactly the same thing here — I think it’s incredibly difficult to explain because, at least in my circle, people don’t understand why I physically can’t do things. Im certainly fortunate that my brain got better, so to speak, as my situ improved.

Can you think of any reason that you think you can’t move on? For me it was a fear of failure, which is funny because I kept on failing due to my rather strange efforts.

If all else fails and you find you can’t speak to your teacher you may be able to find an advisor at your institution or you may perhaps opt for a professional/doctor’s opinion/guidance.
Delilah23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lenanais)
Exactly the same thing here — I think it’s incredibly difficult to explain because, at least in my circle, people don’t understand why I physically can’t do things. Im certainly fortunate that my brain got better, so to speak, as my situ improved.

Can you think of any reason that you think you can’t move on? For me it was a fear of failure, which is funny because I kept on failing due to my rather strange efforts.

If all else fails and you find you can’t speak to your teacher you may be able to find an advisor at your institution or you may perhaps opt for a professional/doctor’s opinion/guidance.
I am also scared of failing however I struggle to move on mainly because I find leaving a question blank annoys me and it just feels unfinished and irritates me but It’s also partly because I don’t want to move on knowing Iv lost all those marks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (370)
37.26%
No - but I will (75)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (70)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (478)
48.14%

Watched Threads