Knife Crime. Watch

truthseekers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i've recently found out so many interesting things that change my prospective on life. Let me give a backdrop first. I'm from London, South to be exact, and I've witnessed many horrors on these roads. From broad daylight stabbings, to shootings at night. Knife crime doesn't seem to be stopping and it honestly breaks my heart to see and hear about another young man or woman being knifed. The majortiy of these victims fall from around the age gap between 14-24, and it mostly consists of black men. The media calls it 'black on black killing'. As a black person, it makes me angry to see these young black people killing each other when we should be in unity. Dave, a music artist from South London, says in his song 'Black' , "It's workin' twice as hard as the people you know you're better than, Cause you need to do double what they do so you can level them". He's quite literally saying Black people work twice as harder to prove that they are better and to level, you need to double your workload. Growing up, my mother always said to me that you need to work twice or even three times as hard as everyone simply because you’re black. This is because in modern society blacks are still discriminated against in some jobs and various positions, but if you get better results and on paper, you’re the best option – who are they to discriminate? Seeing many black people drop out from school, or not reach their full potential because they are drawn to this lifestyle of gangs and money and fame and not knowing the outcomes, is a truly sad sight. It's always argued if Drill music contributes to stabbings and it 100% does. Think about it like this. Drill music is music where an artist spits over a beat that is trap influenced. Drill lyrics typically reflect life on the streets, and tend to be gritty, violent, realistic and nihilistic. People talk on the things they have seen and been through, the struggles of their daily lives. You've got 2 sides to this music though. Those who are actually about it, who have been through it all, and those who just talk on it and have never been apart of anything they are rapping about. So why do it then? Simply because they want to be seen as 'cool'. And if you are rapping about this lifestyle you don't even live, then you feel the pressure to carry out these acts you are rapping about, and so now you've got a lovely young man who, by the way, has never had it hard, carry out stabbings. And so the cycle continues. So you see, Drill music influences stabbings and shootings. Personally, I don't think Knife crime will stop. It's only going to get a whole lot worse if it does gets better. The only thing we can do is keeping our loved ones safe.
missingh1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I'm also from London (south east) and i get you totally. I hate how there are so many knife crime incidents but nothing is being done for it by the government- but then again what can we expect they can't vote on anything for brexit :/ Personally I think politicians/newscasters use drill as a scapegoat for the reason why there is a knife crime epidemic, but banning or limiting drill won't solve the crisis. I think there needs to be more support for the youth that are dragged into this lifestyle, so it can help them get out of it without ruining their lives
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My eyes...paragraphs...
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by missingh1)
Hey I'm also from London (south east) and i get you totally. I hate how there are so many knife crime incidents but nothing is being done for it by the government- but then again what can we expect they can't vote on anything for brexit :/ Personally I think politicians/newscasters use drill as a scapegoat for the reason why there is a knife crime epidemic, but banning or limiting drill won't solve the crisis. I think there needs to be more support for the youth that are dragged into this lifestyle, so it can help them get out of it without ruining their lives
Prevention is the best cure. That being said, some of these scumbags can't be helped.
truthseekers
Rep:
?
100. I agree whole-heartedly with you. Knife crime doesn't get much publicity as it should. The only reason why it got the publicity it did for short while was because of the white girl who got stabbed, 'Jodie Chesney'. All the summits and the national outcry was because of her. Shame.
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by truthseekers)
100. I agree whole-heartedly with you. Knife crime doesn't get much publicity as it should. The only reason why it got the publicity it did for short while was because of the white girl who got stabbed, 'Jodie Chesney'. All the summits and the national outcry was because of her. Shame.
No. The reason why knife crime got more plubicity than it should is because London managed to surpass New York for the number of those that were murdered, for only one month.
truthseekers
Rep:
?
(Original post by stoyfan)
No. The reason why knife crime got more plubicity than it should is because London managed to surpass New York for the number of those that were murdered, for only one month.
Yes, that is right but what i'm saying is, is that the media only show a change for knife crime when a white person is stabbed. When a black is stabbed, the media show it in the worst light available, whereas when a white, the try cancel out the options that it is gang related.

And it became a national outcry and all these sumits were held because of Jodie Chesney & Yousef Makki. The policing cuts and what not were because of them. When has that become available when a black has been stabbed?? If both Jodie & Yousef were black, policing, national outcries, and summits would never of happpened. There are many stabbings happening now, mostly black ofcourse, and they don't make it on the media. When it's a white, It's everywhere.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Crazy idea, how about black people stop stabbing each other?
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Decahedron)
mike44
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
We have to stop looking to govt to sort these problems out and instead to society and the local community and even closer at the families of the young people and young adults involved.
looloo2134
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The city in the UK with the highest knife crime rates was Glasgow 2005 it was knife crime capital of Europe and most of the gang members were called NEDs which were young working-class white males/females who carry knives and murder each other. They treated knife crime as a public health issue and it has gone down now Glasgow one of the safes place in Europe to be a young person whatever social class.

https://www.theguardian.com/membersh...g-young-people

I spent time in Liverpool in a rough area drug addicts laying in the road, working-class white children as young eight running amok on the streets all night throwing stones at cars, adults the police, riding stole mopeds through the local shopping center. Firework night putting firework through people letterboxes and throwing them at adults and carrying knives.

It, not just London were knive crime happen it all over the UK I'm white working class and I live in areas that have white working class gangs murdering each other I live in London now the area I live now it black gangs that murder each other. Both black and white gangs do crime for the same reasons it has nothing to do with skin colour but parenting and area that they are bought up in.
(Original post by truthseekers)
So i've recently found out so many interesting things that change my prospective on life. Let me give a backdrop first. I'm from London, South to be exact, and I've witnessed many horrors on these roads. From broad daylight stabbings, to shootings at night. Knife crime doesn't seem to be stopping and it honestly breaks my heart to see and hear about another young man or woman being knifed. The majortiy of these victims fall from around the age gap between 14-24, and it mostly consists of black men. The media calls it 'black on black killing'. As a black person, it makes me angry to see these young black people killing each other when we should be in unity. Dave, a music artist from South London, says in his song 'Black' , "It's workin' twice as hard as the people you know you're better than, Cause you need to do double what they do so you can level them". He's quite literally saying Black people work twice as harder to prove that they are better and to level, you need to double your workload. Growing up, my mother always said to me that you need to work twice or even three times as hard as everyone simply because you’re black. This is because in modern society blacks are still discriminated against in some jobs and various positions, but if you get better results and on paper, you’re the best option – who are they to discriminate? Seeing many black people drop out from school, or not reach their full potential because they are drawn to this lifestyle of gangs and money and fame and not knowing the outcomes, is a truly sad sight. It's always argued if Drill music contributes to stabbings and it 100% does. Think about it like this. Drill music is music where an artist spits over a beat that is trap influenced. Drill lyrics typically reflect life on the streets, and tend to be gritty, violent, realistic and nihilistic. People talk on the things they have seen and been through, the struggles of their daily lives. You've got 2 sides to this music though. Those who are actually about it, who have been through it all, and those who just talk on it and have never been apart of anything they are rapping about. So why do it then? Simply because they want to be seen as 'cool'. And if you are rapping about this lifestyle you don't even live, then you feel the pressure to carry out these acts you are rapping about, and so now you've got a lovely young man who, by the way, has never had it hard, carry out stabbings. And so the cycle continues. So you see, Drill music influences stabbings and shootings. Personally, I don't think Knife crime will stop. It's only going to get a whole lot worse if it does gets better. The only thing we can do is keeping our loved ones safe.
Laurence010401
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes!!
Theresa May and Jeremy corbyn yelling at each other isn’t ever gonna suddenly stop knife crime
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Laurence010401
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mike44)
We have to stop looking to govt to sort these problems out and instead to society and the local community and even closer at the families of the young people and young adults involved.
Are u an anarchist? 🤔 (not saying that as a bad thing, just asking lol)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
aryanmalik567
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
At the end of the day it comes down to money. Have you noticed how the number of police community support officers on the roads has dropped over the last 10 years due to budget cuts. Its a difficult economy to manage but there needs to be a balance between a sustainable economy and funding into areas that matter.

I bet a lot of mothers know that their sons carry knives, or the community in the area knows about how gangs operate there. The police needs to regain the trust of the people, not by acting superior, but by integrating into the community, so that people can come forward and let them know about who carries knives, and gang operations in the area.

Yes gangs will always exist, but that doesn't have to be a negative thing. If police can keep gangs under control and just be aware of potential victims of stabbings due to anonymous tips then the community can be safer. Constantly making arrests and fighting force with force will only make things worse. I'd rather gangs beef through drill music than through murders, and tbh the UK drill scene is pretty good, there are some people with genuine lyrical talent for example Harlem Spartans.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by aryanmalik567)
there are some people with genuine lyrical talent for example Harlem Spartans.
Agree :yes:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Idea- how about all people stop stabbing each other and criminal thugs stop carrying illegal weapons in public places?

I disagree with OPs attitude too as regards the alleged race element.
The core problem is violent habitual criminals of all backgrounds who act as if the law does not apply to them and choose to attack others with illegal weapons.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Idea- how about all people stop stabbing each other and criminal thugs stop carrying illegal weapons in public places?

I disagree with OPs attitude too as regards the alleged race element.
The core problem is violent habitual criminals of all backgrounds who act as if the law does not apply to them and choose to attack others with illegal weapons.
The core problem is poverty, as deprivation has gotten worse thanks to austerity so has crime. Poverty breeds crime.
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The core problem is poverty, as deprivation has gotten worse thanks to austerity so has crime. Poverty breeds crime.
Don't forget the YouTube homemade rap videos which celebrate gang violence.
username4454836
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Don't forget the YouTube homemade rap videos which celebrate gang violence.
Of course, how could I forget "Drill music". It is also violent video games bloody gamers :shakecane:
Notoriety
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Of course, how could I forget "Drill music". It is also violent video games bloody gamers :shakecane:
It's mainly the hippity hop in which you see frequent use of the N word and threats of cutting; also where the young gentlemen with a proclivity for not pulling their bloody Nike Air trackie bottoms up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (52)
5.71%
Fairly positive (287)
31.54%
Just another year... (354)
38.9%
Is it 2020 yet? (217)
23.85%

Watched Threads

Latest