The Student Room Group

Knife Crime.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
They misunderstood what Eminem meant by "rap god"

Eminem can't compete with the OG rap god.
They misunderstood what Eminem meant by "rap god"?

Eminem isn’t the kind of rapper that promotes gang violence
Original post by Laurence010401
Eminem isn’t the kind of rapper that promotes gang violence

You misunderstood my dad joke.
You misunderstood my dad joke.

Well I’m not a dad
Sooooo
Original post by Decahedron
The core problem is poverty, as deprivation has gotten worse thanks to austerity so has crime. Poverty breeds crime.

Poverty is just an excuse - there are many kids who grow up with far less than children have in this country and don't turn to crime. You have free healthcare, education, benefits etc and although they aren't always a perfect system poverty in this country is no way near the levels in other parts of the world. There are also many kids living in deprived areas of cities and most of them don't do crime and try to follow the right path.
Original post by iodo345
Poverty is just an excuse - there are many kids who grow up with far less than children have in this country and don't turn to crime. You have free healthcare, education, benefits etc and although they aren't always a perfect system poverty in this country is no way near the levels in other parts of the world. There are also many kids living in deprived areas of cities and most of them don't do crime and try to follow the right path.

Just because poverty is worse in other places does not detract from the fact that poverty is relative to the country in which it occurs.
Original post by iodo345

I don't like the argument that other people don't follow the same path even though they have a similar background, so that the true significant cause cannot be poverty.

Look at ionising radiation; some people will receive a small dose and develop cancer and some will receive a large dose and not develop anything. Do you conclude, in these cases, that ionising radiation isn't the significant cause of cancer?
I don't like the argument that other people don't follow the same path even though they have a similar background, so that the true significant cause cannot be poverty.

Look at ionising radiation; some people will receive a small dose and develop cancer and some will receive a large dose and not develop anything. Do you conclude, in these cases, that ionising radiation isn't the significant cause of cancer?

Poverty is only one factor and in my opinion often exaggerated.

There are others such as a low educational achievement (which can be associated with poverty I know), poor parenting with a lot of these guys doing the stabbings with no father figures/ in and out of care throughout childhood, your peer group and who you associate with throughout adolescent.

At the end of the day stabbing somebody is a choice and regardless of individual circumstances you know what happens when you put a 6 inch blade through somebody's body. If anyone did that to someone I knew and loved and got a pathetic jail sentence like they do in this country just to be released I honestly would feel like finding them and kicking their ass.

Cowards use weapons to fight.
The core problem is poverty, as deprivation has gotten worse thanks to austerity so has crime. Poverty breeds crime.

The core problems are habitual criminality and violent thuggery- not poverty.
Many violent criminals and drug dealing gangsters are rich.
There are many people with limited incomes and unenviable personal circumstances who choose not to indulge in criminal activity.
My father, his brother and best friend all grew up without parents in a very low income part of Manchester.
None of them have ever carried an illegal weapon, got a single criminal conviction or been involved with drug dealers/gangsters.
Original post by londonmyst
The core problems are habitual criminality and violent thuggery- not poverty.
Many violent criminals and drug dealing gangsters are rich.
There are many people with limited incomes and unenviable personal circumstances who choose not to indulge in criminal activity.
My father, his brother and best friend all grew up without parents in a very low income part of Manchester.
None of them have ever carried an illegal weapon, got a single criminal conviction or been involved with drug dealers/gangsters.

So why is crime always higher in lower income areas?
Crime is not higher in low-income areas the type of crime is more valuable like anti-social behave drug dealing in public etc crime is just as high in high income it just a different type like drug use in the home university students selling drugs to other students etc.
Original post by truthseekers
So i've recently found out so many interesting things that change my prospective on life. Let me give a backdrop first. I'm from London, South to be exact, and I've witnessed many horrors on these roads. From broad daylight stabbings, to shootings at night. Knife crime doesn't seem to be stopping and it honestly breaks my heart to see and hear about another young man or woman being knifed. The majortiy of these victims fall from around the age gap between 14-24, and it mostly consists of black men. The media calls it 'black on black killing'. As a black person, it makes me angry to see these young black people killing each other when we should be in unity. Dave, a music artist from South London, says in his song 'Black' , "It's workin' twice as hard as the people you know you're better than, Cause you need to do double what they do so you can level them". He's quite literally saying Black people work twice as harder to prove that they are better and to level, you need to double your workload. Growing up, my mother always said to me that you need to work twice or even three times as hard as everyone simply because you’re black. This is because in modern society blacks are still discriminated against in some jobs and various positions, but if you get better results and on paper, you’re the best option who are they to discriminate? Seeing many black people drop out from school, or not reach their full potential because they are drawn to this lifestyle of gangs and money and fame and not knowing the outcomes, is a truly sad sight. It's always argued if Drill music contributes to stabbings and it 100% does. Think about it like this. Drill music is music where an artist spits over a beat that is trap influenced. Drill lyrics typically reflect life on the streets, and tend to be gritty, violent, realistic and nihilistic. People talk on the things they have seen and been through, the struggles of their daily lives. You've got 2 sides to this music though. Those who are actually about it, who have been through it all, and those who just talk on it and have never been apart of anything they are rapping about. So why do it then? Simply because they want to be seen as 'cool'. And if you are rapping about this lifestyle you don't even live, then you feel the pressure to carry out these acts you are rapping about, and so now you've got a lovely young man who, by the way, has never had it hard, carry out stabbings. And so the cycle continues. So you see, Drill music influences stabbings and shootings. Personally, I don't think Knife crime will stop. It's only going to get a whole lot worse if it does gets better. The only thing we can do is keeping our loved ones safe.

I agree!!!
Well, we need to know the actual cause of knife crime before we actually delve into preventing it. That's why are prevention strategies our not working.
(edited 5 years ago)

It is not.
Statistics for crime type and problematic antisocial activities bordering on the criminal significantly vary between different areas.
Many career criminals try not to make trouble on their own doorstep, having no wish to lead local police straight to their doors or have angry neighbours inform on them.
Other career criminals are part of cross-county drug gangs transporting illegal drugs all over england
Or exclusively target upmarket city areas for access to luxury branded goods, to burgle high value houses and target asset rich persons.
Reply 34
Original post by Laurence010401
Are u an anarchist? 🤔 (not saying that as a bad thing, just asking lol)

I'm a Rationalist and maybe an idealist lol ! I believe in us having a society where we are as focused on our responsibilities for the common good as we are focused on our rights. How many of the young people involved in gangs have a father or father figure regularly in their lives? Very few is the answer. So let us twist this round - fathers be responsible for the children you have, stick by them and don't bugger off to start another family cos you're too weak to stick by the family you chose the first time round. Or if you do, make sure you can genuinely father the children you have brought into this world, giving them all the support and time they need.
Knife crime is overhyped. Just part of inner city living. Don’t rip people off or play dirty with money and you don’t get hit.

Simple.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending