gcse astronomy??? Watch

zaceasif12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
we dont have an option of gcse astronomy in my school which sucks but does anyone have suggestions on what else i should take or be more useful for that kind of field?? etc. pe, art, cs,
Sinnoh
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So I'm guessing you want to be an astronomer?

It really doesn't matter that you can't do GCSE astronomy. Even if you don't do the astrophysics module in A-level physics, it's not a big deal.

Just do well in your GCSEs in subjects that you enjoy, then take maths and physics A-level. To be a professional astronomer you'll probably have to do a physics or astrophysics degree or similar, and possibly a doctorate as well if you go into research. Compared to that, GCSEs don't matter that much.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
There are several ways to look at this, as there are several routes to uni and many different areas of astronomy (presumably this is an area you currently feel you probably want to work in).

Once you're 18 and out of school, you're free to choose whatever. You won't need GCSEs to do A Levels, you might not even need A Levels to go to uni. Heck you don't even need to go to a physical uni. So there's nothing to fret about right now.

But as far as GCSEs at school goes, you'll already being doing the relevant ones - Maths and Science are directly related (and eventually become the same kinda thing), while everyone needs English skills! I don't know what optional choices you have, but Geography can be related and ICT / Computing is a practical choice. Other than that, choose your favourite subjects or who has the best teachers, whatever'll get you the most enjoyment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?