French adjective agreement Watch

tugceerten
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So, what are adjectives supposed to agree with what it is talking about?
For example, if you have "it is fun" and the thing that is it is feminine, does that mean amusant then becomes amusante. Also, if you say "the (insert feminine thing) was great", does it then have to agree again? I hope this makes sense, thanks!
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your assumptions are correct, but your question seems to show that you're not sure about what an adjective actually is, so here's a definition:

An adjective is a word that qualifies a noun, i.e. a single word that provides more information about a noun.

In French, adjectives agree in number and gender with the noun they qualify.

Thus: un chat blanc; deux chats blancs; une maison blanche; deux maisons blanches

Adjectives can stand in a group with the noun, as in the examples above. When this is the case, most adjectives come after the noun they qualify, but some precede the noun.

Adjectives can also follow verbs of state (mainly être, but also verbs like sembler (to seem), in which case they still have to agree in number and gender with the noun they qualify.

Thus: ce chat est blanc, les chats semblent mignons; la maison est blanche,

Adjectives can be placed after a comma, for effect. In this case, they still have to agree in number and gender with the noun they qualify.

Thus: Nous sommes rentrés à la maison, fatigués mais satisfaits.

In this example, fatigués and satisfaits agree with nous (masculine plural) – it is obvious that it is not the house which is "tired but satisfied"!

Nouns can have more than one adjective.

Quoted (with adaptations) from Essential French Grammar for the Sixth Form and Beyond by Caroline Tracey.

(Original post by tugceerten)
So, what are adjectives supposed to agree with what it is talking about?
For example, if you have "it is fun" and the thing that is it is feminine, does that mean amusant then becomes amusante. Also, if you say "the (insert feminine thing) was great", does it then have to agree again? I hope this makes sense, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Bloomsbury Undergraduate
    Thu, 27 Jun '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (39)
24.22%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (55)
34.16%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (27)
16.77%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (14)
8.7%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (26)
16.15%

Watched Threads