If a cure for ageing were created, would you take it?

Watch
BenK64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Currently billions of dollars are spent each year in the research and development of 'anti-aging' pills in an effort to extend healthy human life as long as possible, apparently with some significant advances being made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjdpR-TY6QU
I doubt comprehensive anti-aging will be available in our lifetime- we were born a couple hundred years too early for that. But let's say it was- would you take the anti-aging pill?

I often hear people say they welcome death and would not like to live forever. But to grow old in years whilst staying physically young surely every person's dream? Personally I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm young and healthy now and should not like to die any time soon. If I and my loved ones were still healthy in a hundred years time I don't see why Id feel any different. I recognize that a society where nobody aged would radically be radically different, but I don't think it would have to be for the worse.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
sure, hate sickness and pain
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I am old enough as it is :cry2:
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am yeeting that down me as soon as it's deemed clinically safe tbh. Being infirm would suck ****.
DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would take it and I'm sure many young people would but undoubtedly it would cause a lot of social issues, mainly overpopulation. The population would swell and resources would start to run out so while we'd all like o take it we probably shouldn't
vestigalrex510
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
sure, hate sickness and pain
Well yes. But if you were cured of aging, would you live until the end of the world?
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vestigalrex510)
Well yes. But if you were cured of aging, would you live until the end of the world?
no, I still want to die.
BenK64
Rep:
?
(Original post by DragonsOfAsshai)
I would take it and I'm sure many young people would but undoubtedly it would cause a lot of social issues, mainly overpopulation. The population would swell and resources would start to run out so while we'd all like o take it we probably shouldn't
It does raise so many social issues. Marriage, life prison sentences, immoral people taking the pill, the creation of new life, changing work and occupation, no time limit on life = no meaning to life etc
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nah.
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Being a muslim and a normal human being, no I wudnt take it
Anyway, the government's are already killing off people with diseases and cancers etc as it is due to overpopulation, why wud they let people taking anti-aging pills 😂
Even if they did, it wud only be for the rich

Imagine having to live for over 60 yrs...I wud hate it
BenK64
Rep:
?
no, I still want to die.
Would you just stop taking the pill after several hundred years once you felt you've enjoyed all there is to enjoy in your life?
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't like to age but as long as it would still allow me to die I think I'd take it. Doesn't death (unless from outside sources) basically happen because of aging though? Would you still be able to die?
(Original post by BenK64)
Currently billions of dollars are spent each year in the research and development of 'anti-aging' pills in an effort to extend healthy human life as long as possible, apparently with some significant advances being made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjdpR-TY6QU
I doubt comprehensive anti-aging will be available in our lifetime- we were born a couple hundred years too early for that. But let's say it was- would you take the anti-aging pill?

I often hear people say they welcome death and would not like to live forever. But to grow old in years whilst staying physically young surely every person's dream? Personally I'd take it in a heartbeat. I'm young and healthy now and should not like to die any time soon. If I and my loved ones were still healthy in a hundred years time I don't see why Id feel any different. I recognize that a society where nobody aged would radically be radically different, but I don't think it would have to be for the worse.
BenK64
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zabidoo)
Even if they did, it wud only be for the rich
most likely
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would you just stop taking the pill after several hundred years once you felt you've enjoyed all there is to enjoy in your life?
Oh, does the pill delay your death? Then deffo no taking it. I thought it just prevented the symptoms of ageing.
BenK64
Rep:
?
Oh, does the pill delay your death? Then deffo no taking it. I thought it just prevented the symptoms of ageing.
Ageing itself doesn't kill people, it just weakens all of your body's parts and immune system so that it is far more susceptible to disease and illness. So if we cured aging, our immune system would still function healthily at old age and we would be far less likely to die from disease. (Though still possible- young people get ill too but they recover). So naturally we would live much longer
Obolinda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ageing itself doesn't kill people, it just weakens all of your body's parts and immune system so that it is far more susceptible to disease and illness. So if we cured aging, our immune system would still function healthily at old age and we would be far less likely to die from disease. (Though still possible- young people get ill too but they recover). So naturally we would live much longer
oh yeah, you're right. Not taking the pill.
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hell to the yes - aint nobody got time for stiff joints and wrinkes - we'll literally be like Middle Earth elves living for centuries...

Last edited by BlueIndigoViolet; 1 year ago
BenK64
Rep:
?
oh yeah, you're right. Not taking the pill.
You're braver than me. I feel like I'd cling to life as long as possible.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
nah, I probably won't take it.
username1539513
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting. Whilst on one hand the prospect of extending one's lifespan with no ill/aging effects does sound interesting, as there is so much to see and do in the world, you are still subject to the suffering the world brings along with it, as price for existence I guess. As a Christian I believe there is a better, painless existence for me in heaven, as promised by Jesus. I would rather live out my natural lifespan and then go to be with Jesus rather than extend my existence on this mortal plane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed