Want to do French as an A-Level but didn't do it at GCSE level what do I do????? Watch

cecerose7890
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi guys!

I am really interested in applying for Oxford Uni and I'm a Yr11 student about to do my GCSEs. The majority of unis do a beginners language course if it is a joint degree and since I want to do Philosophy and French i was thinking that maybe they do a beginners course...but they dont they do it in all other language BUT french and spanish. And i dont know what to do. I contacted them asking what I should do and they said that I some how dont necessarily need to do an A-Level in French but I need proof that i can speak it and they recommended me doing a DELF/DALF in the B2 level which is an equivalent to an A at French A-Level. Im just very confused and although I have 2 years to learn french I need some advice and i am solely devoted and determined to do this.

Thanks x
OctoberRain7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
What they mean is you would need another qualification for fluency in French which you could study for independently. I think it’s very unlikely that you could achieve this in two years as well as getting good enough A levels for Oxford, so I really would recommend choosing either another university that doesn’t require French A-Level or another language. If you do choose to get a qualification in French, you should spend about twice the amount of time on French as other subjects and make sure that you know from the start what qualification you are doing and what you need to learn for it.
cecerose7890
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Thank you very much they recommended taking the DELF in the B2 and the french teachers in my school are willing to help as a "fourth a-level" so yeah and do you know where i can find the syllabus and what i need to know for it ?
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
What they mean is you would need another qualification for fluency in French which you could study for independently. I think it’s very unlikely that you could achieve this in two years as well as getting good enough A levels for Oxford, so I really would recommend choosing either another university that doesn’t require French A-Level or another language. If you do choose to get a qualification in French, you should spend about twice the amount of time on French as other subjects and make sure that you know from the start what qualification you are doing and what you need to learn for it.
adam_tc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I’m sorry if this is too late to help you out, but I was actually in a similar situation 2 years ago - I ended up taking A Level French from scratch and I just got my results and I got an A* and got into Oxford. It really is doable I promise, you just need to be willing to put in the hard work and have a knack for languages, again sorry if this is too late but you can message me if you need advice :-)
arsem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by cecerose7890)
Hi guys!

I am really interested in applying for Oxford Uni and I'm a Yr11 student about to do my GCSEs. The majority of unis do a beginners language course if it is a joint degree and since I want to do Philosophy and French i was thinking that maybe they do a beginners course...but they dont they do it in all other language BUT french and spanish. And i dont know what to do. I contacted them asking what I should do and they said that I some how dont necessarily need to do an A-Level in French but I need proof that i can speak it and they recommended me doing a DELF/DALF in the B2 level which is an equivalent to an A at French A-Level. Im just very confused and although I have 2 years to learn french I need some advice and i am solely devoted and determined to do this.

Thanks x
get yourself a French mate, or go to France
QueenOfFabulous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did Spanish A-Level without studying it at GCSE but tbh I did know Italian to B2 level beforehand which meant I understood a lot of Spanish anyway, BUT I learnt Italian in an even shorter timespan to B2 level (around a year), so it is doable with the motivation - but it’s incredibly easy to lose motivation with languages, especially when you get to the intermediate level. But personally I prefer self-studying languages which is why I ended up dropping French (which I had only studied at school, and was only good at due to my Italian).
Long story short, definitely doable with the motivation, but it could be hard to manage alongside 3 or more a levels. Self studying the language for me led to deeper understanding despite the short time frame, though this depends on the person.
arsem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by QueenOfFabulous)
I did Spanish A-Level without studying it at GCSE but tbh I did know Italian to B2 level beforehand which meant I understood a lot of Spanish anyway, BUT I learnt Italian in an even shorter timespan to B2 level (around a year), so it is doable with the motivation - but it’s incredibly easy to lose motivation with languages, especially when you get to the intermediate level. But personally I prefer self-studying languages which is why I ended up dropping French (which I had only studied at school, and was only good at due to my Italian).
Long story short, definitely doable with the motivation, but it could be hard to manage alongside 3 or more a levels. Self studying the language for me led to deeper understanding despite the short time frame, though this depends on the person.
learning few languages at the same time could be confusing, don't recommend it. pretty sure you can manage to learn 5 subjects at least
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads