Accepting conditional offer? Can I decline it later?

Watch
tsradmihelopersy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,
I need to firm a conditional offer until May 01. However, I also applied to another school in Australia, which I like a bit more. I will receive a decision after 16. June. Can I "say no" to my firmed conditional offer after accepting it a month and a half earlier? Or would I have to pay one years tuition fee?

Cheers!
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can still decline it
tsradmihelopersy
Rep:
?
Do you possibly have any reference? I need to show my parents before I accept it I couldn't find anything.
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
You can still decline it
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tsradmihelopersy)
Do you possibly have any reference? I need to show my parents before I accept it I couldn't find anything.
No, no reference- just my brain?
But like people attend uni and then withdraw after a few weeks if they hate it.
Any money that you have already paid you won't get back but as the semester won't have started you won't have to pay any money
tsradmihelopersy
Rep:
?
But look what it says here: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...raduate-offers

Changed your mind?
Here’s what to do if you change your mind:

If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.
If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do.
(Original post by AzureCeleste)
No, no reference- just my brain?
But like people attend uni and then withdraw after a few weeks if they hate it.
Any money that you have already paid you won't get back but as the semester won't have started you won't have to pay any money
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tsradmihelopersy)
But look what it says here: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/a...raduate-offers

Changed your mind?
Here’s what to do if you change your mind:

If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.
If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do.
https://students.shu.ac.uk/shuspacec...g-tuition-fees
Nope not changed my mind.
Reading the above
https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-funding...ate/fee-policy
Also covered a bit here

You won't have to pay
E-mail the uni in question if you are concerned
DragonsOfAsshai
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am 99% sure you can pull out of UCAS on results day so I don't see why you can't do so before that. I think it is more complicated if you want to change your choices eg firm 3rd choice rather than 1st choice.
Kinyonga
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can definitely accept an offer and then choose to decline them later. An applications officer I met at the Aberdeen university open day said that if you've applied abroad but don't get their answer until later, you should accept your British offer, and then you can definitely decline it later. The only thing he added was simply to decline it as soon as you can, as it frees the space up for other people who might be interested in Clearing.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In practice, you can pull out any time until you actually register at the university. Honest.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Accepting an offer on UCAS only locks you into the ucas system (and Track will have the option to withdraw from ucas even after accepting an offer).

You aren’t locked into an obligation to attend a university until you enrol (and even then there may be flexibility in the fee policy). Similarly you can lose a non refundable deposit for accommodation depending on the small print.
TensorTympani
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am assuming that this is before results day so on results day you can reject the uni if you are planning to study in the UK that is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (692)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (874)
42.65%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (391)
19.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (92)
4.49%

Watched Threads