Mature student starting at Sussex Watch

Seafoamfrankie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm 36 (not sure how that happened!) and I'm studying at Sussex in September.

How common is it to find someone in my age range at university? Can anyone else my age give me any insight into what to expect? I'm not really looking for the big social uni experience, but I am concerned some younger people might feel weird about spending lunch/study time with me because of my age. I have some experience of being out of the typical age range as I did a year of professional dance training at 27 and it was a bit of a struggle, but I'm hoping the anthropology crowd will be a bit more open minded.

All advice welcome!
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would suggest joining a society or two if you can. Often, there are postgraduate student members of societies as well, who will be closer to your age (or even older), and it's a great way to meet people anyway.

That said, during my undegrad degree we were more than happy to go for coffee and study with the mature students and one of the ladies even came along on our nights out sometimes!
NikkiKate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I am a mature student - will be 35 in September! I will be studying Primary Education! Little scary so will be following this thread too!!
LotteF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, hopefully there will be a few of us in the same boat! I'm 43 and will be studying psychology in September. It is a bit scary but from the reaction I've received studying this past year at sixth form, I think the other students should be pretty accepting. I can only say good things about my experiences so far

That said, I still haven't made up my mind about going in to halls or looking for a house share somewhere...
(Original post by Seafoamfrankie)
Hi, I'm 36 (not sure how that happened!) and I'm studying at Sussex in September.

How common is it to find someone in my age range at university? Can anyone else my age give me any insight into what to expect? I'm not really looking for the big social uni experience, but I am concerned some younger people might feel weird about spending lunch/study time with me because of my age. I have some experience of being out of the typical age range as I did a year of professional dance training at 27 and it was a bit of a struggle, but I'm hoping the anthropology crowd will be a bit more open minded.

All advice welcome!
tmadisonb
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
A lot of unis have flats in their accomodation catered to mature students who want to live together, quiet flats etc. I know that Sussex does and a few more too. I’m sure if you were to email and enquire the uni would be happy to help out
(Original post by LotteF)
Well, hopefully there will be a few of us in the same boat! I'm 43 and will be studying psychology in September. It is a bit scary but from the reaction I've received studying this past year at sixth form, I think the other students should be pretty accepting. I can only say good things about my experiences so far

That said, I still haven't made up my mind about going in to halls or looking for a house share somewhere...
SDE77
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
HelloI am a mature student, in my 40's, who has been offered a place at Sussex for this Sept too. My course will naturally have more mature students but I had a call from the Application Service at Sussex, from a mature student offering advice and open to answering any questions I might have about being a mature student. She mentioned some mature student focused societies etc and explained she had met quite a few other mature students through these.. not sure if that's any help at all...

Just to add I will be living at home and not in halls and think this may make it a little more tricky to meet new people - living on the campus will open up more doors too probably.
Last edited by SDE77; 1 week ago
Kinyonga
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm 20, Sussex is my insurance. I'd have no issue whatsoever hanging out with slightly older people - would prefer it, in fact.
kitkatkate281
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi! I'm starting a postgrad course in September and I will be 23, so I am technically a mature student. My mum also went to Sussex when she was 46, and she had an amazing time! She became close friends with both mature and non-mature students. Brighton is also a very friendly city, so I think that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (40)
24.24%
The paper was reasonable (71)
43.03%
Not feeling great about that exam (29)
17.58%
It was TERRIBLE (25)
15.15%

Watched Threads