bf angry that I wanted to raise our child as gender neutral Watch

This discussion is closed.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Surely it's a question of degrees to which the gender neutral or non-gender neutral parenting goes.

For example, I think it would be a good thing to show any daughter how to change the wheels and oil in a car.
And a good thing to show any son how to food shop and cook and iron clothes.

Also buying children board games like Settlers of Catan has a lot to be said instead of buying them dolls or remote controlled cars.

As well as encouraging children of both sexes to be sporty, outdoorsy and active.

And then there's things like not having the attitude that boys should be boisterous and a bit naughty, whilst girls should be quiet / subserviant / demure. As well as not having favourites just because of the gender of a particular child.

However if it were to extend to sometimes dressing boys in pink dresses and girls in blue boiler suits - well that would just be silly and taking the gender neutral thing too far.

And then, for example, taking a son to dancing classes would be fine if he enjoyed it. Not fine if he didn't and preferred to go to football training instead.
mgi
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mel W)
I have a young baby with my bf and I want to raise it as gender neutral but he got pissy with me about it and said it should be raised as one or the other he is barely talking to me after we had a big row about it yesterday, advice?
Personally. i think it ridiculous to raise a child as gender neutral . To achieve what exactly? Do you mean that she gets to grow up with a non defined gender or are you actually talking about gender equality; they are 2 different things? Be clear about the impact of your thinking upon the child as it gets older. Frankly, you should have had this conversation with your boyfriend before you got pregnant. If it were me i would then have decided not to have kids with you.
Last edited by mgi; 6 days ago
I'mComingOxford
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
why do you want to raise the child as gender neutral? let it fu***** decide when they are old enough.
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
why do you want to raise the child as gender neutral? let it fu***** decide when they are old enough.
"Let it"
😂😂
stoyfan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
As Dunnig Kruger said. I don't think there is nessecarily anything wrong with buying your child toys that may not be marketed as for their age (idk how I feel about buying dolls for a boy tho) or encouraging them to partake in activities such as sports which may be considered as not fitting their gender stareotype.

But the moment when you start calling your child it, let them wear clothes that aren't appropiate for their gender etc, is going to far and it can but them at risk of being bullied at school.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by snugglebear)
Is there such a thing as an old baby?
Benjamin Button at the end of the film?
OddOnes
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You will be setting your child up to be horribly bullied. They will likely end up with psychological trauma as a result.
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Mel W)
I have a young baby with my bf and I want to raise it as gender neutral but he got pissy with me about it and said it should be raised as one or the other he is barely talking to me after we had a big row about it yesterday, advice?
He's right
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by OddOnes)
You will be setting your child up to be horribly bullied. They will likely end up with psychological trauma as a result.
That's exactly what will happen
thestudent33
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Agree
I'mComingOxford
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
"Let it"
😂😂
just didn't want to get sued by the baby for assuming it's gender 😂😂
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
just didn't want to get sued by the baby for assuming it's gender 😂😂
😂heard of "them"?
sinfonietta
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If a child is trans this will become apparent in their behaviour. Rather than raising them to be gender neutral the idea is to not punish them or ridicule them if they want to play with toys or dress in clothes typical of the opposite gender. Let them gravitate toward what they want, but don't deprive them from having the normal childhood experience of a cisgendered child either.
HumanBrian
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well, there is no such thing as gender neutral, never been. Doing this to child especially with chemical castration is a child abuse and not much different from genital mutilation or any other insane ritual.
You are willing hurt your own child just and because of what essentially is a religious belief.
(Original post by Mel W)
HumanBrian
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don't think that you can tell if kid is a trans at all. I played with Lego, tanks and barbies all together, most of my childhood friends were girls. How would you even tell the difference between gay and trans in someone who is still like 8yo? Most 15yo cannot really tell for sure.
Raising a child a gender neutral can be only negative. It's like a lottery. How many people can realistically be gender neutral, 1 in 100,000? Does that feels like a safe odd?
As far as I can tell this is a child abuse.
(Original post by sinfonietta)
If a child is trans this will become apparent in their behaviour. Rather than raising them to be gender neutral the idea is to not punish them or ridicule them if they want to play with toys or dress in clothes typical of the opposite gender. Let them gravitate toward what they want, but don't deprive them from having the normal childhood experience of a cisgendered child either.
HumanBrian
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I quite a few languages child is 'it' In my language the word child is category "item" and type "chicken".
(Original post by Obolinda)
"Let it"
😂😂
Obolinda
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by HumanBrian)
I quite a few languages child is 'it' In my language the word child is category "item" and type "chicken".
wow. :lol:
TheNamesBond.
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
What kind of place are we living in, gender neutral?

What?

Your kids a boy, you don't need to give him toy trains and action figures for playime, give him what he's interested in, this gender neutral nonsense is extremely dangerous territory, you're going to overcomplicate an already perfectly healthy childs life, a child who will most likely identify with their gender, I pity your boyfriend, I don't want to hurt your feelings but this is the harsh truth, and you need to hear it before you go screwing with your child's mind.
Tootles
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Read my post.
I was born a biological female, am happy with this fact and have always identified as a female- much to my parents dislike.
No idea where you have got the ideas about non-binary from.
How dare you be what you are :lol:
Laurence010401
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well
What gender is the baby?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (266)
38.61%
No - but I will (46)
6.68%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.4%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (326)
47.31%

Watched Threads